Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Welcome to Summerland (with a dash of 'your mom' jokes.)

26 comments in this topic

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Funny thing happened in a match yesterday. I was nearly killed by friendly torps from not only one, but two ships. Furutaka was the first one. Then Leander (already pink) neaely torped me from behind. I asked him to be careful, he said he fired those torps at the enemy Minsk 12km away to throw him off and achieve 'area denial.' I tried to be as nice as I could, asked him to check his torpedo range, he told me to piss off and that he only plays for fun. I told him to go play Candy Crush before ignoring him and proceeding to do 118k damage. In the next battle I saw that pink Leander again, on my team, and he accused me of being a noob, that if it weren't for him we would have lost the match (when I had 118k damage and 6 kills).

Okay, so there are many of these trolls. I can deal with them from time to time. What's truly frustrating is when players on both teams start making cruel jokes of a sexual nature. This is not the place. For example, I ask for a plan and someone suggests something like 'sleep with your mother / girlfriend.' The other day when I criticized my team for making some stupid decisions (lemming, passiveness), one player said something extremely insulting about one of my female relatives whom I am very close to. Normally I would just ignore those low-lifes, but I was in a losing streak and asked him to watch his mouth. When he didn't stop, I told him to stop insulting my family or I would 'vaporize' him. My bad, but I couldn't help it.

I would like to assume these players are possibly just a bunch of wild teenagers, but I was nothing like them as a teenager. I was quiet and would never make such insults. Is this the current generation of kids? Do they get any better than this? I like to see it as teaching them a lesson. Sure, they can be bad players, but if they take it further to this step they should expect retaliation of some form, either verbal or even physical. I don't hurt people, but it doesn't mean I can't fight back when I'm in the mood for it.

I don't understand how these people are not reported while I can get reported for justifiably expressing my anger (not necessarily abusive) at totally clueless people ruining matches even when I try my best? (Should bad players who refuse to improve even be entitled to hurt feelings / feeling butthurt?)

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,319 posts

They are kids.  Not worth your time.

• Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,853 battles

Just report them. If they get enough reports they will be chat banned.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Chat Bans are your only Hope but they only last 24 hours and Most Players think they are funny. Search Chat Bans in these very forums and you will see for yourself.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Well I guess they'll have learned the lesson that not everyone finds them funny when they make these remarks. So much for having 'typical' pubescent brains. Being a teenager doesn't give you an excuse to get away with everything. If they don't learn now, they may never learn. 

[BBICT]
Members
3,367 posts
3,561 battles

Where do I get these 12km Leander torps? :Smile_teethhappy: 

No really, it does get frustrating, I feel your pain... Not just low tier stuff either...I had a Cong and Fletch "team mates" shooting at each other last night...not sure why they where mad at each other, but my "Play nice!" fell on def chat lines... :Smile_facepalm:

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,560 battles
41 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Funny thing happened in a match yesterday. I was nearly killed by friendly torps from not only one, but two ships. Furutaka was the first one. Then Leander (already pink) neaely torped me from behind. I asked him to be careful, he said he fired those torps at the enemy Minsk 12km away to throw him off and achieve 'area denial.' I tried to be as nice as I could, asked him to check his torpedo range, he told me to piss off and that he only plays for fun. I told him to go play Candy Crush before ignoring him and proceeding to do 118k damage. In the next battle I saw that pink Leander again, on my team, and he accused me of being a noob, that if it weren't for him we would have lost the match (when I had 118k damage and 6 kills).

Okay, so there are many of these trolls. I can deal with them from time to time. What's truly frustrating is when players on both teams start making cruel jokes of a sexual nature. This is not the place. For example, I ask for a plan and someone suggests something like 'sleep with your mother / girlfriend.' The other day when I criticized my team for making some stupid decisions (lemming, passiveness), one player said something extremely insulting about one of my female relatives whom I am very close to. Normally I would just ignore those low-lifes, but I was in a losing streak and asked him to watch his mouth. When he didn't stop, I told him to stop insulting my family or I would 'vaporize' him. My bad, but I couldn't help it.

I would like to assume these players are possibly just a bunch of wild teenagers, but I was nothing like them as a teenager. I was quiet and would never make such insults. Is this the current generation of kids? Do they get any better than this? I like to see it as teaching them a lesson. Sure, they can be bad players, but if they take it further to this step they should expect retaliation of some form, either verbal or even physical. I don't hurt people, but it doesn't mean I can't fight back when I'm in the mood for it.

I don't understand how these people are not reported while I can get reported for justifiably expressing my anger (not necessarily abusive) at totally clueless people ruining matches even when I try my best? (Should bad players who refuse to improve even be entitled to hurt feelings / feeling butthurt?)

You could put your man pants on and be a big boy and trash talk them??? Or did you never play any sports growing up????

[HYDRO]
Members
1,541 posts
3,751 battles

Many people tend to vent in the game not just for game related reasons, but irl stuff too. I tend to ignore and not talk to these people that are just trying to get attention and look for a fight. By not responding you often piss them off some more.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
2 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Where do I get these 12km Leander torps? :Smile_teethhappy: 

No really, it does get frustrating, I feel your pain... Not just low tier stuff either...I had a Cong and Fletch "team mates" shooting at each other last night...not sure why they where mad at each other, but my "Play nice!" fell on def chat lines... :Smile_facepalm:

^^ Maybe the Tier 10 Russian battleship will come with 30km torps that are impossible to detect and track the movements of enemy ships. ^^

Yeah I once had a match where friendly Mahan and a BB and a cruiser were shooting at each other for no apparent reason. Needless to say, we lost that match with me being the last ship alive.

You can't always play nice with these people that are intellectually, morally, and emotionally cretins. If they're cretins, give them the cretin treatment.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
1 minute ago, GuntherPrein said:

You could put your man pants on and be a big boy and trash talk them??? Or did you never play any sports growing up????

Lol.... I didn't play sports. Was pretty much a nerd / geek. ^^ 

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles

A bunch of so-called parents couldn't control themselves, so now parents can't use corporal punishment.....

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

A bunch of so-called parents couldn't control themselves, so now parents can't use corporal punishment.....

I disagree with corporal punishment and would never lay a finger on my own daughter, and I wasn't subjected to it as a kid (though I was spanked in an abusive manner a couple of times by my [edited] of a father whom I no longer have any ties to). However, I do agree that many parents these days don't teach their kids to behave well and morally when their kids need instruction in this area. Even if your child won't grow up to be the best, the brightest etc. The very least you can teach them is to be kind, compassionate, and moral individuals that can pass these values onto their own kids. That's how I view things. Take China, for example. These days you see extremes where parents are either the crazy, abusive, super controlling and hysterical kind that make their children go through hell on earth because they have so many issues in their own lives that they can't / aren't willing to confront (the Cultural Revolution / poverty played a large role in shaping these deformed psyches), and on the other end you have parents who think the best (and only) definition of love is to pamper their kids and let them get away with everything. That's why you see cases like the 15-year old son of a famous singer who was arrested for drunk driving. Either type of parenting is child abuse and neglect to me because they are detrimental to the child's interests. 

For example, I know that you can get a driver's license at the age of 16. However, I wouldn't let my daughter drive until she's 19-20 because I know what the average 16-year old who gets a driver's license is thinking. Not saying all kids are like that, but it's better to let them grow up a bit just in case. Once she becomes a teenager I would strongly advise her not to get drunk, party, do crazy things etc. She'll have a curfew until she's 15-16. If she decides to go to college I'd strongly advise her to not join any sororities because there's too much crazy stuff in those "Greek" organizations. Kids need to have certain limits that loosen with age and they're more capable of making the right decisions without any intervention.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,560 battles
49 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

They dont even do that, until you play at real high lvls like AAU (I played AAU Basketball, it's the only time I ever encountered trash talking). 20+ years of playing competitive sports; it's really rare. Maybe in like pickup games at your local park/YMCA but any organized play it's rare till you reach high lvls of it.

Its not rare in hockey but its a very physical sport so

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,560 battles
52 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Lol.... I didn't play sports. Was pretty much a nerd / geek. ^^ 

meh its all good was just joking man but it does feel pretty good sometimes to turn the tables and watch someone rage out

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

How popular is hockey in China @Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu?

Curiosity question.

It's virtually un-played. Let's just say unplayed. There will be quite a few people who have heard of ice hockey, but no, it's not a popular sport in China. OTOH football in China is more popular than it is in America / Canada, at least when it comes to watching it.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,560 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

oh. Isnt though figure skating popular in china? I know it's totally different other than its both done on ice.

China has some KHL teams now the NHL is promoting it the last few years as well , my team the Vancouver Canucks played in China for a couple games last season

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
51 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

oh. Isnt though figure skating popular in china? I know it's totally different other than its both done on ice.

Edit: Sorry to digress so much here. 

Anyways ontopic, the anonymous nature of the internet sort of enables people to be quite impolite. Simply because there is little fear of consequences. (This is becoming a bit less though nowadays, look at all the twitter drama). When one has little fear of any consequences, it emboldens them to be immature/impolite etc etc.  

Figure skating's fairly popular in China, and it's one of the events China's pretty good at. I think many Chinese people find ice hockey to be a bit too...... on the brutish side. However, in Canada I know some kids of Chinese immigrants who play ice hockey. 

Yeah back to the topic of this post, if you know you're not a good player, I'd be fine as long as you don't cause any trouble and do your best, whatever you're capable of. However, if you're clearly a bad player and don't know it / refuse to admit it, along with talking trash and making insults, then that's just beyond bad. I personally hate taking part in any of the drama myself, and i don't like it when people take part in it, but when someone tries to provoke an emotional response from me for the fun of it, I don't try to act all heated up and emotional in return. I try to sound as cold and harsh as possible to put them off, or just ignore them altogether. That's why when I was pissed off at the player I didn't whine or nag about how he could insult my family. I simply gave him the equivalent of: "[edited] off before this goes further."

BTW who's in your avatar picture? A Korean idol?

Members
312 posts

Some players ( not all are kids ) look at the internet as a safe place to talk tough without any physical repercussions that would effect them. In real life some of them are young kids that have not learned to control their anger or adults who are just playing the internet tough guy who know you can't knock them out through the computer screen. Either way just ignore them. 

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
12 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I disagree with corporal punishment and would never lay a finger on my own daughter, and I wasn't subjected to it as a kid (though I was spanked in an abusive manner a couple of times by my [edited] of a father whom I no longer have any ties to). However, I do agree that many parents these days don't teach their kids to behave well and morally when their kids need instruction in this area. Even if your child won't grow up to be the best, the brightest etc. The very least you can teach them is to be kind, compassionate, and moral individuals that can pass these values onto their own kids.

To be honest, I've only ever smacked my daughter once. She was about 18 months at the time, and had developed an unhealthy in electrical outlets. My wife and I both told her no, she ignored us. We forcefully removed her from the area, she went back. We went from stern to yelling, she laughed at us the whole time and went right back to it. My wife tapped her on the hand, more laughing.

I screwed up my courage, and gave her a healthy smack on the hand. She cried, I cried, (I know now why they say, "this will hurt me more than it does you") but she never again tried to play with cords and outlets. When she was a little older, I was able to teach her what outlets were, and how they were used. While she was 3, she was allowed to plug and unplug things with supervision. Now, at 4, she uses electricity properly.

I don't believe it needs to be used often, or frivolously. (in fact I think it loses effectiveness if used too often) Where I think it serves is as a an easily understandable consequence, in the time before they have enough life experience to comprehend the ramifications of the actual consequences. And as with anything else, once they have experienced that consequence, they wish to avoid it, and then it often doesn't need to be used, the threat (whether express or implied) suffices.

I will do my best to explain and guide, but if that fails, when necessary, I want her to consider my anger as a consequence, a placebo until she matures enough to understand the real consequences.

I think the issue is in teaching them to be kind, compassionate, and moral individuals, just as you said. If you don't know how to teach them though, it won't stick, especially adolescents, who are beginning to realise that they know more than you lol. Basically, you need to have a convincing answer to the unasked question, "what if I don't be a nice person?", and not everyone is capable of making that understood. 

I believe that, as a parent, if you only use the socially acceptable tools in your toolbox (even though you don't understand their usage well) because of your sensibilities, even when they don't work, you do your child a disservice. I will always go to those tools first, but I won't let fear and distaste for the tools at the bottom of the box prevent me from using them if I'm failing with the other tools.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
12 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

OTOH football in China is more popular than it is in America / Canada, at least when it comes to watching it.

Do you mean football as in what we call soccer?

I can see that. It's only in the last 10 years or so that you see that type of merchandise (hats, shirts, etc.) sold mainstream alongside NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB items.

Mind you, my wife's family are Liverpudlians, and have been glued to the TV since the World Cup started lol.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,387 battles

Society et al is crumbling. Gone is the era of self respect & personal accountability. Many people today seem to believe they can do whatever they want & everyone else be damned. The anonymity of the internet only exacerbates this phenomena. 

Its not just the kids, no shortage of 40+ yr olds who live in their parents basement that are just as bad. 

Sign in to follow this