Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lensar

Add a line item XP bonus for undertiered ships in results screen

27 comments in this topic

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

People claim there's an XP bonus when a lower tier ship damages an upper tier one. The simple fact of the matter is that a bonus doesn't exist unless it's clearly apparent to the players.

There is no reason being undertiered in a match should be something people beshrew. It could easily be changed to seem like an opportunity rather than a curse.

In the battle results screen, add an XP and credits bonus for ships that are 1 or 2 tiers down in a battle. Maybe +10% for 1 tier, +20% for 2. (modified, of course, by premium)

This would definitely help damper a bit of the MM complaints we see so much and it's trivial to do. If there's an economy concern, just take the "hidden" xp bonus and make it unhidden so people can see it.

• Cool 16
  • Bad 1

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
6 minutes ago, Lensar said:

People claim there's an XP bonus when a lower tier ship damages an upper tier one. The simple fact of the matter is that a bonus doesn't exist unless it's clearly apparent to the players.

There is no reason being undertiered in a match should be something people beshrew. It could easily be changed to seem like an opportunity rather than a curse.

In the battle results screen, add an XP and credits bonus for ships that are 1 or 2 tiers down in a battle. Maybe +10% for 1 tier, +20% for 2. (modified, of course, by premium)

This would definitely help damper a bit of the MM complaints we see so much and it's trivial to do. If there's an economy concern, just take the "hidden" xp bonus and make it unhidden so people can see it.

thats a good point uptiered should get more rewards for good performance

you got my vote on that

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

It's mentioned on the website that tier is taken into account when earning XP and credits, but I agree that it would be more beneficial to actually see it in post battle results.

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
302 posts
9,883 battles

Good Idea! Would take some of the bottom tier pain away.

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
8,086 battles

I agree.  There should also be temporary xp bonuses based on significantly higher percentages of uptiering, for example for tiers 5 and 8.  These bonuses would attract other players (in theory).

[BNKR]
Members
1,306 posts
681 battles
7 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I agree.  There should also be temporary xp bonuses based on significantly higher percentages of uptiering, for example for tiers 5 and 8.  These bonuses would attract other players (in theory).

I'd be far more likely to play tier 5 premiums is this was the case.

[LOU1]
Members
3,023 posts
8,125 battles

The people that claim you get more XP for damaging higher tier ships and less XP for damaging lower tier ships are the developers who coded it in.  They state this in more than one of their Developer Diaries.  i used that to grind my first 19-point Commander in the Marblehead.  You only get bonus XP for damaging a ship above your tier.  You get less than normal XP for damaging a ship below your tier.  Personally, that seems pretty fair.  It might be helpful, though, to list XP broken down into higher tier, same tier and, lower tier to assuage players' concerns.

• Cool 1

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
24 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

The people that claim you get more XP for damaging higher tier ships and less XP for damaging lower tier ships are the developers who coded it in.  They state this in more than one of their Developer Diaries.

I don't care. They can say whatever they want. Hidden bonuses aren't bonuses.

24 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It might be helpful, though, to list XP broken down into higher tier, same tier and, lower tier to assuage players' concerns.

Agreed. They certainly do a good job of upselling premium on the results screen. Seeing a bonus would likely help some folks feel less frustrated.

• Cool 3

[SBS]
Members
2,464 posts
2,253 battles
3 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

That might be a hard sell because there are a lot T8 premiums that already get good XP.

[LOU1]
Members
3,023 posts
8,125 battles
1 hour ago, Lensar said:

I don't care. They can say whatever they want. Hidden bonuses aren't bonuses.

Agreed. They certainly do a good job of upselling premium on the results screen. Seeing a bonus would likely help some folks feel less frustrated.

I can appreciate your point of view.  As for me, as long as my XP is increased in those situations, as it always has been, I am happy.  When I am grinding XP or silver, I actually hope for being uptiered.  First of all, there is the increased earning, second of all, the higher tiered ships don't perceive me as a threat or they see me as an easy kill and I can kite them away from the objectives.

As far as being frustrated, it is clear across all walks of life that there will be people who are frustrated no matter what happens.  If the bonus was displayed, people would still be frustrated.  Fix one thing and something else will be frustrating.  I always feel sad about that, it must make life miserable.

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
26 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I can appreciate your point of view.  As for me, as long as my XP is increased in those situations, as it always has been, I am happy.  When I am grinding XP or silver, I actually hope for being uptiered.  First of all, there is the increased earning, second of all, the higher tiered ships don't perceive me as a threat or they see me as an easy kill and I can kite them away from the objectives.

Yeah. Personally, doesn't bother me where I'm tiered. If I am under-tiered it's an opportunity to overachieve and make something happen.

28 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

As far as being frustrated, it is clear across all walks of life that there will be people who are frustrated no matter what happens.  If the bonus was displayed, people would still be frustrated.  Fix one thing and something else will be frustrating.  I always feel sad about that, it must make life miserable.

Sure, some people will never be happy no matter what.

But when you read MM threads and hear people in match chat complaining about it. If there was a call out to the upside to being under-tiered, I think it would help some folks feel less like it's a waste.

[LOU1]
Members
3,023 posts
8,125 battles
12 hours ago, Lensar said:

But when you read MM threads and hear people in match chat complaining about it. If there was a call out to the upside to being under-tiered, I think it would help some folks feel less like it's a waste.

Good point.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,271 posts
4,224 battles
18 hours ago, Lensar said:

If there's an economy concern, just take the "hidden" xp bonus and make it unhidden so people can see it.

This is the most important part. Bottom-tier players will be far more motivated if they know exactly how much extra XP they're fighting for.

"XP component for action against higher-tier ships" might be a good way to phrase it, though no doubt there are others. Thing is, you might not earn any if you're one of three tier 8's on each side and you clinched victory by sinking the other side's Tier VIII's! Perhaps there is a trackable component of potential damage from higher tier ships? It would be interesting to know.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,026 posts
3,520 battles
18 hours ago, Lensar said:

It's an inherent bonus to the base experience, as such it doesn't show on the credits and experience tab of the results screen.

[CAST]
Members
1,200 posts
7,368 battles

Apparently the bonus is there, but it doesn't show.  Just make it show.  That way, players wouldn't feel as slighted when uptiered.  At least they would see the bonus for their aggravation.  I like the idea.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
19 hours ago, Lensar said:

There you go with thoughtful, constructive ideas again. Don't you know this is an internet forum and that type of behavior is off-putting to many?

Good post. :Smile_great:

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
Members
297 posts
5,942 battles

i think there will be a huge downside. the bonus does exist and easily enough to test it yourself . now if you advertise it youll have damage farmers that wont help out the team. theyll focus  and be hitting but not really damaging the over tiers.  itll be kind of like ranked when people dont want to lose a star , might as well farm so you dont lose it but youll look good since youll be on top of the result screen.  

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,026 posts
3,520 battles
15 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

i think there will be a huge downside. the bonus does exist and easily enough to test it yourself . now if you advertise it youll have damage farmers that wont help out the team. theyll focus  and be hitting but not really damaging the over tiers.  itll be kind of like ranked when people dont want to lose a star , might as well farm so you dont lose it but youll look good since youll be on top of the result screen. 

I've been trying to find the words, and you have done it for me. Thank you.

That is why I think it is best that it is left as an inherent bonus to Base Experience, invisible, so only the knowledgeable would notice. Which I have. 15k damage to a tier 9 destroyer, nets me more experience than 15k damage to a tier 8 destroyer, when I play a tier 8 destroyer. Despite the tier 8 having less health, meaning more percentage of that health was taken, than what was taken from the tier 9.

[WOLF2]
Members
888 posts
7,199 battles

Well, the simple word of mouth on these forums is what keeps my attitude up when I'm the sole T8 in a T9/T10 match.    Hey... grab some extra XP for hitting those big fish.

That's what's been said on these forums.    But, is it true?

That's a great point.   If there is an up-tier multiplier, having that shown (or at least confirmed by WG) would be great.    

Careful what we wish for, though... there's also likely a lower percentage of XP when shooting lower tiered ships.       Click the XP tab, and it shows you focused on the easy pickin's for only 75% XP :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF2]
Members
888 posts
7,199 battles
35 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

now if you advertise it youll have damage farmers that wont help out the team. theyll focus  and be hitting but not really damaging the over tiers. 

Dunno.... I'd take three or four of those damage farmers over the entire team huddling at the C cap, behind mountains. :Smile_teethhappy:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles
1 hour ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

So your downside is "People will continue to do what they already do"?

[CAST]
Members
1,200 posts
7,368 battles

At least damage farmers will be damage farming the higher tiers instead of the lower tiers.  The lower tiers might have a better chance of survival in any game.

• Cool 1

Members
248 posts
10,396 battles
6 hours ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

You are missing the positive - A player playing a T8 and he can fire at another T8 or a T6. The player knows that the T6 will give minimal experience compared to the T8. So he fires at the T8. The T6 team mates will go after the T8 as well. The *possible* result is that the T6s in the game will last longer and have a more enjoyable game.

Sign in to follow this