You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
J30_Reinhardt

Pen for zero damage?

29 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,667 posts
3,924 battles

When did this become a thing?

I shot a nice salvo into the broadside of an enemy for 3 pens and one over-pen for a nice 1100 damage which should have nuked the target.

I've been noticing this alot this past week but it's usually only a single pen hit.

• Cool 1

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

I think the pro's will correct me if I am wrong,  but I think thats when you penetrate a module like the main guns of a target but don't actually hit the ship.  

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

I know it can be from hitting any external module (AA/Secondary/turret). Unless they changed something, you could pen spaced armor like a torpedo belt and not pen the hull which resulted in 0 damage but a pen. The third option would be a fully saturated part of the ship taking a pen. Pretty sure all 3 of these show a penetration but 0 damage.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

So the Pen isn't always mightier than the sword.

• Funny 5

Members
2,284 posts
4,107 battles
14 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I know it can be from hitting any external module (AA/Secondary/turret). Unless they changed something, you could pen spaced armor like a torpedo belt and not pen the hull which resulted in 0 damage but a pen. The third option would be a fully saturated part of the ship taking a pen. Pretty sure all 3 of these show a penetration but 0 damage.

I think they removed the ribbon for this but maybe not.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,667 posts
3,924 battles
8 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

I think they removed the ribbon for this but maybe not.

Yea I switched my ribbon mod off after I posted this, we'll see if anything changes.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,782 battles
38 minutes ago, Palladia said:

I think the pro's will correct me if I am wrong,  but I think thats when you penetrate a module like the main guns of a target but don't actually hit the ship.  

There is some truth in this. I had a Div mate kill steal from me by getting the kill with a zero damage pen. We took screen shots from the replay. It was the only shell hit he landed so it was easy to deduce.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,667 posts
3,924 battles

Last match I just played was in my Roma, shot at a somewhat angled cruiser..hit its guns for 2 zero damage pens and one bounce, no module damage either, so it must be that.

Weird. When did this get implemented?

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles

Only just seen this happen.  Getting pens (not overpens, but legitimate damage penetrations) that do absolutely nothing to the target at all.  Also, like J30_Reinhardt said, they are always single pen hits.

This has to be a bug.  Makes no sense at all.

Edited by Kuckoo

Beta Testers
165 posts
6,526 battles

Haha, no. This issue has been around for a while, and it's not just module damage causing it. However the hell WG models ribbons, there's definitely things wrong with it - from 0 damage AP "penetrations" in spots (even those without modules - and spaced armor is not supposed to completely stop AP shell damage, though it occasionally does cause a shell to magically vanish of course), to listed AP penetrations only doing overpen damage, to the ever fun "overpen" that did 6k and is really a double dipping shell that only recorded for you as the initial overpen.

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,051 posts
5,861 battles

I really wish that, should someone score an AP pen but hits a module, that said player should get a "module incapacitation ribbon" or something like that

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

Been around for quite a while, maybe the whole time.  You pen something like a torp belt that doesn't actually damage the ship because the main belt stops it.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles
4 hours ago, Palladia said:

Module damage should count toward actual damage. A module has a specific amount of health that your penetrating hit depletes. That damage should register as damage dealt.

ANVoudW.jpg

That's 3,399 damage completely eaten by a Pensacola. I can only assume it hit a turret, but you'd think a 14" shell exploding in the turret would be enough to incapacitate it. How much health do cruiser turrets have? 

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,667 posts
3,924 battles
34 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Been around for quite a while, maybe the whole time.  You pen something like a torp belt that doesn't actually damage the ship because the main belt stops it.

We can assure you it hasn't been around the whole time. Which is why I'm asking when lol.

9 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

That's 3,399 damage completely eaten by a Pensacola. I can only assume it hit a turret, but you'd think a 14" shell exploding in the turret would be enough to incapacitate it. How much health do cruiser turrets have? 

Apparently infinite is the answer, and it's annoying as hell.

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

Module damage should count toward actual damage. A module has a specific amount of health that your penetrating hit depletes. That damage should register as damage dealt.

ANVoudW.jpg

See thats what I thought too,  but I've had many,  many occurrences lately where I get a penetration ribbon for no damage.  I've also had moments where damage registers,  I can see the targets bar dropping,  but I get no credit for it.  Like,  I'm the only person firing on the target shots clearly hitting bar dropping no ribbons and no additional damage added to my counter.

The two probably aren't related,  just observations.

[OBS]
Beta Testers
18 posts
2,253 battles

I put 30 AP rounds into a Richelieu with my Amagi that were 0 damage penetrations.  It's complete nonsense and just shows how inept WG is at programming.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
On 7/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, J30_Reinhardt said:

When did this become a thing?

I shot a nice salvo into the broadside of an enemy for 3 pens and one over-pen for a nice 1100 damage which should have nuked the target.

I've been noticing this alot this past week but it's usually only a single pen hit.

You could penetrate he torpedo belt but fail to pen the main belt. Which results in a pen for zero damage. 

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
8 minutes ago, Stimulus said:

I put 30 AP rounds into a Richelieu with my Amagi that were 0 damage penetrations.  It's complete nonsense and just shows how inept WG is at programming.

Betting you shot at auto bounce angles pened the torp belt and bounced the main belt.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
On 7/11/2018 at 3:06 PM, Palladia said:

Yes this is a plausible cause.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,667 posts
3,924 battles
2 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

Yes this is a plausible cause.

Bro... learn to use multi-quote.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles

This is correct. I also believe you will get a zero damage. Pen if you strike a fully saturated portion of a ship.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
7,776 battles

On 7/11/2018 at 4:13 PM, Kuckoo said:

Only just seen this happen.  Getting pens (not overpens, but legitimate damage penetrations) that do absolutely nothing to the target at all.  Also, like J30_Reinhardt said, they are always single pen hits.

This has to be a bug.  Makes no sense at all.

Not a bug. Hitting modules that don't have HP with fully penetrating hits does 0 damage. Some modules like guns, torpedo tubes, secondary guns don't count towards a ships HP pool. These will still display full penetrations. It is possible to penetrate spaced armour and torpedo belts but not the hull, doing 0 damage full penetrations as well. This also happens with HE on spaced armour and torpedo belts although for some reason that only wargaming knows French cruiser spaced armour counts towards hull damage with all shell calibers while BBs don't have this happen to them.Overpenetrations will always cause damage to the overall hull when hitting extremities of a ship that are depleted of HP, but full penetrations will eventually do 0 damage. If you are doubtful you can test with minotaur on superstructure or with BBs against cruisers that have no vulnerable citadels at the bow like New Orleans or Baltimore in the training room. 

So OP, you shot at the spaced armour of a French BB and did not penetrate the hull, doing no damage to the hull.