Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cavscout1739

What makes me buy premium ships?

19 comments in this topic

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
326 posts
4,659 battles

Premium ships have some good qualities when you compare them to the tech tree ships that we are forever grinding (and apparently complaining about or praising). 

They come in their final builds. Some of them have alternate modules (e.g. planes and torps).

You can earn extra credits and XP. You can use any same nation captain to train them faster, and there's no retraining cost to move them TO the premium ship, or back to their original ship. The Premium Cammo has an additional 50%-100% XP gain. (Additional premium cammos can also have an economic bonus, but are purchased separately).

They have their quirks - whether labeled as "Le Garbage" or "Super Awesome OP," each of them have a place, and now a history, in the game. For the most part, when released, they don't receive a nerf to any part of their stats or consumables over their entire life, but that could change (we got the option to "sell back" three premiums that had their smoke dialed back, for instance).

I bought my first premium because I wanted a captain trainer. I bought my second premium because it had a nice history. I bought my third premium because I wanted to play a tier higher than I had actually leveled to. I bought the one after that because it was super fast. I bought the one after the fast boat because it was silly. I imagine that there are a lot of reasons why one would "buy," some pixels, but two of them for me are: I like what is being offered, and I intend to play it; and it supports the game that I love.

Having said all that, there are a lot of botes that I haven't purchased, for various reasons - the main one being "Is it fun to play, or will I just be irritated." I need someone else's opinion on how it played for them, to figure out where I might fit in. First - how good am I at the ship class, and the tier that it plays in? I can be a very good at Tier V, but at Tier VIII? Maybe I'm just a potato that needs to work out the boat and the kinks of the maps and the play at that tier. Maybe I don't have any problems at all, but I won't know that until after I buy the ship.

This is where the community contributors come in. They get to test drive the boat in the pre-release state, figure out how they have to get the best out of it, and then sort of figure out, how good they are, versus how good the rest of the players are (which is pretty iffy, if you ask me). 

After the CC's comes the actual players who go "all-in." We call them whales with the deep pockets, but practically speaking, these first adopters show up in games and we get to see how well their new ships perform. We ask in chat. We shoot at them, or ask to Div. Some of these normal players also produce replays that we can watch (which is a nice touch). Eventually, everyone who is interested will grab the ship and that includes me.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
4 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

Premium ships have some good qualities when you compare them to the tech tree ships that we are forever grinding (and apparently complaining about or praising). 

I'm not going to requote your entire post, but +1 for all of this. I won't buy a premium ship of a particular type (CV, BB, CA/CL, DD) higher in tier than anything I've already got, but I'll happily grind campaigns (win or lose) for anything WG wants to offer me. If I got a Kidd unlock mission in the American containers for the current Indy missions, for example, I'd be out of my depth in terms of destroyer play (I've only just got the Mahan), but I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth either.

I'm only just now beginning to realise certain implications of some of the premium ships I've recently bought or won (in terms of captain interchangeability without penalty), and they are awesome.

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles

I buy them, and lots of them, as I'm always in need of credits and like the diversity of using many different ships to grind them - and sailing premium ships takes the sting out of a bad Win/loss day as if you play well in a series of losses at least you make lots of credits... and most premiums in WoWS are better than those in WoT in their tier. 

• Cool 3

[WPP]
Members
516 posts
5,424 battles

I love premium ships.

I just got my first 19-point captain and it’s all because I could take my Fiji captain out every day in the Nelson, DoY, and Fiji.  I like all 3 and with drago flags can add 25k-30k Elite EXP a day.  That’s great because now I never need to run half trained captains in other ships.

While captain training is my main reason for using them, I guess credits is good too.  I have 90M sitting there doing nothing because I’m not planning on going higher than tier 8 in the near future, but I suppose it’s good to have for later.

I do love not having to grind for a ship too.  I spend about $400 worth of time to grind to tier 6, or I spend $25... easy math.

I am just glad that the ships are good.  This “weaker than the tech tree” nonsense is silly.  

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
4 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

I buy them, and lots of them, as I'm always in need of credits and like the diversity of using many different ships to grind them - and sailing premium ships takes the sting out of a bad Win/loss day as if you play well in a series of losses at least you make lots of credits... and most premiums in WoWS are better than those in WoT in their tier. 

Question have you ever been the last person on your team facing the last player on the enemy team and told him....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!   :Smile_teethhappy:

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
326 posts
4,659 battles
3 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Question have you ever been the last person on your team facing the last player on the enemy team and told him....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!   :Smile_teethhappy:

I feel old, because I know why that's funny!

Edited by cavscout1739

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles
46 minutes ago, Punisher_One said:

Dang it, where’s my sword, I had it a minute ago. 

look inside your coat, that's where I keep mine  :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
1,327 posts
3,591 battles

I used to be a ship collector last year now I am only buying premiums if they offer something unique. I chose not to get Mass. for instance as I already had Alabama and it wasn’t unique in my eyes. It’s great having Mass. in the game don’t get me wrong. I am busting waiting on a ship that is different from the rest of a ship’s tech tree wouldn’t mind seeing the South Dakota 1929 design in the game for instance it looks Japanese in design while maintaining American guns and armor.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,729 posts
4,737 battles

Mainly I buy them if they're fun.  But lately I've begun buying them specifically to do reviews on them.  Works well for most, they're fun and I have a good time in them.  But others...  *coughOLEGcough* are just...  "Why on earth did I buy this thing...  Oh right...  youtube content" lol

[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,746 battles
3 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I used to be a ship collector last year now I am only buying premiums if they offer something unique. I chose not to get Mass. for instance as I already had Alabama and it wasn’t unique in my eyes. It’s great having Mass. in the game don’t get me wrong. I am busting waiting on a ship that is different from the rest of a ship’s tech tree wouldn’t mind seeing the South Dakota 1929 design in the game for instance it looks Japanese in design while maintaining American guns and armor.

This is so confusing because the Mass is super different than the rest of the tech tree USN bbs.

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles
59 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

But the Kurgan loses.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,327 posts
3,591 battles
12 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

This is so confusing because the Mass is super different than the rest of the tech tree USN bbs.

Like Kii to Amagi different 

Members
4,173 posts

For me, having been around a while and knowing what tier and types of ships I like to play it now comes down to this.

Between T4-7 and a battleship.

That's it.  While the Massachusetts looks great, and I love the Jean Bart, I dislike T8-10 play so much I can't bring myself to spend $50+ for a ship which will sit in the port.  I suck in CAs and DDs and already have several.  I'm also waiting for their fix/update to carrier play before trying anything there.

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles
9 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Yes, yes I have :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
510 posts
4,657 battles

I don't even want to talk about how many premiums I have purchased. 

Beta Testers
12 posts
2,433 battles

I have bought so many premiums I own almost all of them. I pretty much only play them too. I hardly play any regular tech tree ships lol. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,869 posts
5,255 battles
7 hours ago, Redletter said:

I have bought so many premiums I own almost all of them. I pretty much only play them too. I hardly play any regular tech tree ships lol. 

This.

I really try to avoid playing tech tree ships where possible.   But there are a few tech tree ships I really love, and some where the Premium Alternative is a major step down *cough Duke of Yuk cough*

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
14 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

Yes, yes I have :Smile_teethhappy:

That's awesome..........Attention everyone, I have something to say.......it is better to burn out, then fade away!

Sign in to follow this