You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

How does this make sense? DOY

21 comments in this topic

[SC]
Members
1,577 posts
10,033 battles

I was playing Duke of York the other day and noticed something very peculiar. The inflatable life boats on the back turret as well as the sides of the ship have large stacks of logs on top of them.

This must be a mistake. How does it make any sense as these piles of wood weigh a ton and would crush the life boats. Even worse, lets say these were super life boats made of magical material that could withstand all this weight, what happens if they have to abandon ship? How do you expect a ship crew to remove these logs off the life rafts to save their buts while the ship is sinking?  

I'm having a hard time sleeping at night knowing that thousands of virtual DOY crew are drowning every day due to WG design negligence. 

Capture456.PNG

Capture678.PNG

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
18,295 posts
5,226 battles

Maybe they're giant pool noodles....

That would make a kind of sense. If things are chaotic, you don't have to launch them in any specific manner, you just heave them over the side, without worrying about how they land, or what they hit on the way down.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[CAST]
Members
1,209 posts
7,400 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That would make a kind of sense. If things are chaotic, you don't have to launch them in any specific manner, you just heave them over the side, without worrying about how they land, or what they hit on the way down.

That was the exact same thought that crossed my mind when I saw that.  LOL.

[CAST]
Members
1,209 posts
7,400 battles

Maybe its a deterent to keep everyone from leaving the sinking ship too quickly.  You'll have to wait until it is actually under water to float the logs off and use the life boats.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles

They would probably cut the straps and throw them in the water one at a time to create multiple floating objects for crew to hang onto after the ship went down. Ships never carried enough lifeboats for the entire crew.

Alpha Tester
5,140 posts
2,438 battles
5 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Ships never carried enough lifeboats for the entire crew.

Warships, at least.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,528 battles

Let me ask this

Can anyone find an actual photo of Duke of York with those.....logs stacked on the carley floats?

I'm curious as to if they are logs, floats, or perhaps even bamboo.

Modder
1,092 posts
30 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That's pretty much exactly what they are.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,816 posts
10,379 battles

They float.

They're sitting on Carley Floats which, unless I'm mistaken are not actually inflatable but rather cork covered in canvas. They'd be fairly crush resistant compared to an inflatable raft.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,528 battles

found a pic

CnLe8MfWIAALB6L.jpg

1944_05_10_kgvi_departing.jpg

I think they are actually floater nets. they don't look like logs.

Maybe the model is wrong?

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Modder
1,092 posts
3 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Let me ask this

Can anyone find an actual photo of Duke of York with those.....logs stacked on the carley floats?

I'm curious as to if they are logs, floats, or perhaps even bamboo.

I don't have Duke of York but I do have one of King George V in 1941 which clearly shows the device above the carley float. They look to be canvas tubes probably containing cork that are joined together with some netting which makes sense as they're referred to as floatnets in the game files.

AUF3V.png

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles

Those are the nets BBs use to catch tuns when they're not involved in a war. Feeds the crew.

[VW]
Members
1,948 posts
12,499 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I was playing Duke of York the other day and noticed something very peculiar. The inflatable life boats on the back turret as well as the sides of the ship have large stacks of logs on top of them.

This must be a mistake. How does it make any sense as these piles of wood weigh a ton and would crush the life boats. Even worse, lets say these were super life boats made of magical material that could withstand all this weight, what happens if they have to abandon ship? How do you expect a ship crew to remove these logs off the life rafts to save their buts while the ship is sinking?  

I'm having a hard time sleeping at night knowing that thousands of virtual DOY crew are drowning every day due to WG design negligence. 

Capture456.PNG

Capture678.PNG

Everyone knows those are logs to burn for he distilling of rum. The british sailor will not perform any duty without his daly ration of rum (grog). What’s more important life rafts or rum?

oh sure drink wine on salutin day!

• Boring 1

Members
821 posts
6,190 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Capture456.PNG

Capture678.PNG

I imagine that crew will use the logs as extra life boats. You don't need to remove them during a crisis, once every thing hit the water the logs will float.

The thing that actually makes no sense is that you actually play this pos ship.

[TBW]
Members
6,413 posts
12,059 battles

You will notice there are no oars, the logs are so that the bored sailors, just floating there can whittle themselves some oars and go somewhere.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,852 posts
13,070 battles
On 7/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, _Dracarys said:

The thing that actually makes no sense is that you actually play this pos ship.

When I first saw the thread title, I was thinking a thread along those lines.

That said, I still take her out now and then...just because.

[SC]
Members
1,577 posts
10,033 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

When I first saw the thread title, I was thinking a thread along those lines.

That said, I still take her out now and then...just because.

It is a POS however, I'm using it to train my Orion captain to a 19 pt super seal clubber  

shot-18.07.10_13.27.54-0874.jpg