You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Ramming Flag?

51 comments in this topic

Members
4,531 posts
6,420 battles

Hotel Yankee. I don't think I have ever had this flag mounted when I have rammed. Says you take 20% less damage when ramming. Do you usually survive rams when you have this mounted?  I imagine that depends on how much health you have left...correct. I just happen to now have a batch so I gonna ram my azz off in the next several matches. Gonna mount them. Ben Hur...here I come!  Ramming speed!  Of course I will ram with discretion and only when advantageous toward getting the win or as a last resort. Tks

Historical tidbit:  When CSA Ironclad Virginia rammed USS Cumberland the ram hung up in the Cumberland.  Virginia was being pulled down but backing the engines did not work.  Could not pull ram out but fortunatly for her it broke off and Virginia was saved from being pulled under as Cumberland went down.  Sure many here are aware of this tidbit of info. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,243 posts
3,569 battles

I may mount it, alot.  Can confirm you can survive some hilarious rammings with it on.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,663 posts
3,814 battles

It essentially mean you will be at 20% health if you ram at full health, so if your hp threshold is at least above 80%, you will survive the ram and inflict 50% more of your total hp in ramming damage to a other ship.

This means that even a tier 4 battleship can ram kill a Kurfurst at full health if the tier 4 battleship is equipped with the flag.

DDs with this flag becomes very deadly if they use ramming as a last resort.

In Ultimate Frontier ops, I lost a ramming against a tier 5 Nicholas using my Sharnhorst. I wasnt at full health, but still had about a 1/3 remaining. Either way that DD lived.....

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles

If you have it mounted and have greater than 80% of your health, you will survive a ram with a ship equal to your own, unless he too is running the ram flag.  It gives you equal or better ramming capability to larger ships.  Where it gets interesting is if you mount it on a cruiser and can jump a BB from behind an island and ram him.  If he is half health, you can get the kill where you normally wouldn't.  

I typically don't use it because there is usually something better that I have installed, and I am rarely in a ram situation.

Members
4,531 posts
6,420 battles
15 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It essentially mean you will be at 20% health if you ram at full health, so if your hp threshold is at least above 80%, you will survive the ram and inflict 50% more of your total hp in ramming damage to a other ship.

This means that even a tier 4 battleship can ram kill a Kurfurst at full health if the tier 4 battleship is equipped with the flag.

DDs with this flag becomes very deadly if they use ramming as a last resort.

In Ultimate Frontier ops, I lost a ramming against a tier 5 Nicholas using my Sharnhorst. I wasnt at full health, but still had about a 1/3 remaining. Either way that DD lived.....

OK. Tks.  I just needed clarification and you confirmed what I thought was the case. Carry on.

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,787 posts
3,870 battles

Recently in clan wars we had a Khab go for a ram against a Gearing. Should have obliterated both of them and secured us the win. Except the Gearing had the ramming flag... They ended up winning because of it as the Gearing lived.

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles
13 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It must have been moving away and had reduced damage because of it.  Otherwise, the Scharnhorst would deal 56300 damage to the DD.  Even if he was running the flag, the 20% reduction would deal over 45k damage which is way more than a full health Nicolas could survive.  Maybe he had torps in the water that took you out just as you were about to ram.

Members
4,531 posts
6,420 battles
5 minutes ago, Murcc said:

If you have it mounted and have greater than 80% of your health, you will survive a ram with a ship equal to your own, unless he too is running the ram flag.  It gives you equal or better ramming capability to larger ships.  Where it gets interesting is if you mount it on a cruiser and can jump a BB from behind an island and ram him.  If he is half health, you can get the kill where you normally wouldn't.  

I typically don't use it because there is usually something better that I have installed, and I am rarely in a ram situation.

I ram occasionally in Scharnhorst cause I get in very close (5k or less) with that knife fighting monster and if torps miss and guns are not beating the red BB I will chose to ram and take him with me.  TKS

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I ram occasionally in Scharnhorst cause I get in very close (5k or less) with that knife fighting monster and if torps miss and guns are not beating the red BB I will chose to ram and take him with me.  TKS

Scharn is one of those ships that is great in close.  I could see using it on that ship in the right situation.

Edited by Murcc

Members
1,148 posts
3,141 battles

If I had to guess I'd say I have about 7 total ram kills. All of which are at the end of the game to secure damage. I've never mounted the ramming flag. 

Members
4,531 posts
6,420 battles
24 minutes ago, Hatework said:

I may mount it, alot.  Can confirm you can survive some hilarious rammings with it on.

Have mounted it but cannot recall ever ramming when I did have that flag mounted. Be nice to survive a ram and live on to delete more red ships! tks

Members
4,531 posts
6,420 battles
4 minutes ago, Murcc said:

Scharn is one of those ships that is great in close.  I could see using it on that ship in the right situation.

YES!  Take him with you if your are getting beat.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,663 posts
3,814 battles
38 minutes ago, Murcc said:

It must have been moving away and had reduced damage because of it.  Otherwise, the Scharnhorst would deal 56300 damage to the DD.  Even if he was running the flag, the 20% reduction would deal over 45k damage which is way more than a full health Nicolas could survive.  Maybe he had torps in the water that took you out just as you were about to ram.

No the ram flag -20% damage reduction is in relation to the flag holder's total HP not whatever ship it is ramming against or being rammed by.

I was steaming ahead full on that Nicholas.

I've tested this in the training room using an Ishizuchi against a Kurfurst and I've ram killed it full health.

Basically the ramming flag enables you to do two ticks of ramming if your total health is at least above 80%

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,019 posts
3,491 battles

depends on the ship you mount it on, and what ship you ram. Putting it on a Destroyer and ramming a battleship, you're still dead, because the Battleship deals far more damage due to the massive Health pool.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Hotel Yankee. I don't think I have ever had this flag mounted when I have rammed. Says you take 20% less damage when ramming. Do you usually survive rams when you have this mounted?  I imagine that depends on how much health you have left...correct. I just happen to now have a batch so I gonna ram my azz off in the next several matches. Gonna mount them. Ben Hur...here I come!  Ramming speed!  Of course I will ram with discretion and only when advantageous toward getting the win or as a last resort. Tks

Historical tidbit:  When CSA Ironclad Virginia rammed USS Cumberland the ram hung up in the Cumberland.  Virginia was being pulled down but backing the engines did not work.  Could not pull ram out but fortunatly for her it broke off and Virginia was saved from being pulled under as Cumberland went down.  Sure many here are aware of this tidbit of info. 

I wish when you got within a certain distance of an enemy warship the commander would hell out RAMMING SPEED lol.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,663 posts
3,814 battles
4 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

depends on the ship you mount it on, and what ship you ram. Putting it on a Destroyer and ramming a battleship, you're still dead, because the Battleship deals far more damage due to the massive Health pool.

Actually the flag caps out the ram damage to only 80% of your total HP regardless of what ship is ramming you or  vice versa 

[1NJS]
Members
322 posts
6,020 battles

Hotel Yankee: Damage caused when ramming an enemy +50%, Damage received when ramming an enemy -20%

That flag is pretty OP IMO great for Destroyers and great for close combat, i never die in close combat when i'm using that flag, i can kill any DD fast with my Gearing when i'm using that flag (with the exception of Khabarovsk) I also use Juliet Charlie and Sierra Mike :Smile_honoring:

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles
11 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

No the ram flag -20% damage reduction is in relation to the flag holder's total HP not whatever ship it is ramming against or being rammed by.

It is -20% of damage dealt to you if you have the ram flag.  The damage dealt is equal to the full health value of the other ship.  So it is 80% of the opponent ship dealt to you as damage.  It is 50% added to your damage total dealt to the opponent ship which is +50% of your full health pool. 

Speed does go into the calculation.  If the ram occured at a speed less than 5 knots, there is reduced damage dealt.   I don't know if that is speed differential, or if just one ship is moving at 5 knots then they get a full point ram.  That could explain some of the discrepancies for some rams.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,663 posts
3,814 battles
22 minutes ago, Murcc said:

It is -20% of damage dealt to you if you have the ram flag.  The damage dealt is equal to the full health value of the other ship.  So it is 80% of the opponent ship dealt to you as damage.  It is 50% added to your damage total dealt to the opponent ship which is +50% of your full health pool. 

Speed does go into the calculation.  If the ram occured at a speed less than 5 knots, there is reduced damage dealt.   I don't know if that is speed differential, or if just one ship is moving at 5 knots then they get a full point ram.  That could explain some of the discrepancies for some rams.

Sorry but an ishizuchi ramming at full speed against a Kurfurst should not have been able to kill it with this calculation.

The Ishizuchi I used survived the first ram "tick" against a Kurfurst thanks to the flag and left me with exactly 20% health remaining. Then I immediately did another "tick" of ram damage to the Kurfurst which of course killed me, but also the Kurfurst as I essentially did 3x my total HP against it.

Test this out yourself in the training room.

To clarify if an enemy ship's full HP exceeds the flag holder's full HP then the flag caps out the damage to only the flag holder's HP, so it doesn't matter what kind of ship the enemy is if their full HP exceeds yours by a little or by twice the amount.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles
6 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Sorry but an ishizuchi ramming at full speed against a Kurfurst should not have been able to kill it with this calculation.

The Ishizuchi I used survived the first ram "tick" against a Kurfurst thanks to the flag and left me with exactly 20% health remaining. Then I immediately did another "tick" of ram damage to the Kurfurst which of course killed me, but also the Kurfurst as I essentially did 3x my total HP against it.

Test this out yourself in the training room.

To clarify if an enemy ship's full HP exceeds the flag holder's full HP then the flag caps out the damage to only the flag holder's HP, so it doesn't matter what kind of ship the enemy is if their full HP exceeds yours by a little or by twice the amount.

You are correct, sort of, so I gave you a +1.  I tested some scenarios using ram flags on my ship, except in the last scenario. 

I tried the ishizuchi against the Kurfurst and both died.  The max damage done to the Kurfurst definitely exceeded the 150% of the Ishizuchi.  

I then tried a Republique vs Republique bot.   It resulted in 92400 damage done and 73920 received.  The bot died and I was alive.

I then tried Republique vs Kurfurst bot.   It resulted in 105800 damage done and 73920 received.  The Kurfurst died and the Republique lived.  The 73920 is a 20% reduction based on the Republique health pool, not the 105800 health pool of the Kurfurst.

I then tried a Tachibana DD vs Kurfurst bot.  It resulted in 9442 damage done and 7000 received.  I have no idea where the 9442 damage value came from.  It is a 34.9% increase from the Tachibana health value.  The Tachibana died.

I then tried Republique vs Bayern bot.   It resulted in 43900 damage done and 35120 received.  The Bayern died and the Republique lived. The 35120 is a 20% reduction from the Bayern health value.

I then tried Bayern vs Republique bot.   It resulted in 92400 damage done and 51600 received.  Both died.

I then tried the Bayern vs Republique without any flags.  It resulted in 51600 damage done and 51600 damage received.  The Bayern died and the Republique lived.

Based on this, it is quite difficult to determine what  the actual values of the ram flags are, since they don't seem to be consistent with the info given in the WG wiki.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,663 posts
3,814 battles
2 minutes ago, Murcc said:

You are correct, sort of, so I gave you a +1.  I tested some scenarios using ram flags on my ship, except in the last scenario. 

I tried the ishizuchi against the Kurfurst and both died.  The max damage done to the Kurfurst definitely exceeded the 150% of the Ishizuchi.  

I then tried a Republique vs Republique bot.   It resulted in 92400 damage done and 73920 received.  The bot died and I was alive.

I then tried Republique vs Kurfurst bot.   It resulted in 105800 damage done and 73920 received.  The Kurfurst died and the Republique lived.  The 73920 is a 20% reduction based on the Republique health pool, not the 105800 health pool of the Kurfurst.

I then tried a Tachibana DD vs Kurfurst bot.  It resulted in 9442 damage done and 7000 received.  I have no idea where the 9442 damage value came from.  It is a 34.9% increase from the Tachibana health value.  The Tachibana died.

I then tried Republique vs Bayern bot.   It resulted in 43900 damage done and 35120 received.  The Bayern died and the Republique lived. The 35120 is a 20% reduction from the Bayern health value.

I then tried Bayern vs Republique bot.   It resulted in 92400 damage done and 51600 received.  Both died.

I then tried the Bayern vs Republique without any flags.  It resulted in 51600 damage done and 51600 damage received.  The Bayern died and the Republique lived.

Based on this, it is quite difficult to determine what  the actual values of the ram flags are, since they don't seem to be consistent with the info given in the WG wiki.

+1 to you for taking extra steps in testing this, since I haven't bumped into values that were not inconsistent with what the flag should give.

Either way, it makes the ramming flag quite more valuable in equipping with the knowledge that it caps out the max damage to only your own health against a ship that exceeds yours. Though the situation to capitalize on it is rather rare.

Members
4,531 posts
6,420 battles
9 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I wish when you got within a certain distance of an enemy warship the commander would hell out RAMMING SPEED lol.

Seems like you have seen old movie Ben Hur. Cruising speed!  Then, ramming speed! Dude beating drum to set the pace. Slaves chained to the oars. Cool movie. Great scene. Slave in a Roman warship was NOT a career move. I would like to chain some of my men to their battle stations so they can't chicken out. Heh. Carry on.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
14 hours ago, dmckay said:

Seems like you have seen old movie Ben Hur. Cruising speed!  Then, ramming speed! Dude beating drum to set the pace. Slaves chained to the oars. Cool movie. Great scene. Slave in a Roman warship was NOT a career move. I would like to chain some of my men to their battle stations so they can't chicken out. Heh. Carry on.

Ben Hur, one of the greatest movies ever made, the original that is.