Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Leopard_IX

Can You Guess What Ship This Is?

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

174
[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
422 posts

I personally took these photos of this great ship. Not the best pictures, but it should give a good idea of what ship this might be.

 

Hint: It is in the game.

IMG_1567_1.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Edited by Leopard_IX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,649
[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles
1 minute ago, Leopard_IX said:

Hint: It is in the game.

IMG_1567_1.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

North cal I believe

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,473 battles

North Carolina I think. 

 

Edit: Ducky beat me. 

Edited by MizzenMast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Looks like Alabama but I would need to see it bow on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
108 posts
433 battles

The dual stacks and positioning of the 5inch guns gives it away.  The showboat herself North Carolina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[WOSV]
Members
333 posts
2,242 battles

It's an Iowa class for sure, but which one?

Well, I've been to 2, Missouri and Wisconsin, this is neither. It's definitely not in Hawaii and there is no urban populous around it like for Wisconsin.

Which leaves Iowa and New Jersey. I'm going with USS Iowa BB-61 based on the surroundings.

Edit: I'm rarted and didn't look at superstructure well enough. I'm way off.

Edited by Halonut24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
106
[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,473 battles

Naah, look at the superstructure. Im near positive its the NC after looking at some vintage photos. 

1920px-USS_North_Carolina_%28BB-55%29_du

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[WOSV]
Members
333 posts
2,242 battles
Just now, MizzenMast said:

Naah, look at the superstructure. Im near positive its the NC after looking at some vintage photos. 

1920px-USS_North_Carolina_%28BB-55%29_du

yeah I thought I'd figure it out myself before looking at the comments. Derp. Shoulda known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
900
Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I knew instantly since North Carolina is a ship I like and play a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,824
[SALVO]
Members
17,145 posts
17,811 battles
9 minutes ago, Leopard_IX said:

I personally took these photos of this great ship. Not the best pictures, but it should give a good idea of what ship this might be.

 

Hint: It is in the game.

IMG_1567_1.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

A little late, but I could tell by the shape of the main tower (plus the dual 5" sec gun turrets) that it was a more modern USN BB.  And the 2 stacks told me that it was a NC class rather than a South Dakota class.  And I'm not aware that the USS Washington is a museum ship so that leaves the North Carolina.  Didn't really need the hint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,312 posts
21,139 battles

Well I drive past the Iowa a couple times a week, and it's only got three of the dual 5" mounts left on each side, so it's not the Iowa.

NC seems convincing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

A little late, but I could tell by the shape of the main tower (plus the dual 5" sec gun turrets) that it was a more modern USN BB.  And the 2 stacks told me that it was a NC class rather than a South Dakota class.  And I'm not aware that the USS Washington is a museum ship so that leaves the North Carolina.  Didn't really need the hint.

Yeah, about that: they scrapped the USS Washington. (sad trombone sound effect)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
422 posts
20 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

North cal I believe

Yes, it is the North Carolina. Whenever you see a ship in game, the player doesn't feel the actual size of the ship. It's always from a higher angle view. When I went to the USS North Carolina in Wilmington, NC, I got to see how large the ship actually is. I have seen videos of battleships on YouTube, but that is not adequate in understanding how the ship really looks like. In my opinion, for a person to really know a greatness of a ship he or she likes, one must visit that ship.

Edited by Leopard_IX
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
978
Members
4,577 posts
6,534 battles

It's the Minnow.  I can just barely see Mary Ann waving from the bridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,649
[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles
20 minutes ago, Leopard_IX said:

Yes, it is the North Carolina. Whenever you see a ship in game, the player doesn't feel the actual size of the ship. It's always from a higher angle view. When I went to the USS North Carolina in Wilmington, NC, I got to see how large the ship actually is. I have seen videos of battleships on YouTube, but that is not adequate in understanding how the ship really looks like. In my opinion, for a person to really know a greatness of a ship he or she likes, one must visit that ship.

I don't know my ships all that well and picking out a NC apart from Iowa or SD class is not intuitive. But I know the general location of museum ships and their surroundings. Knew it wasn't the Mass, Wisconsin, NJ, Missouri, Iowa, leaving me with Alabama and North Carolina as the only 2 I didn't know their surroundings, but it looked more like Wilmington foliage.... Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
422 posts
17 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I don't know my ships all that well and picking out a NC apart from Iowa or SD class is not intuitive. But I know the general location of museum ships and their surroundings. Knew it wasn't the Mass, Wisconsin, NJ, Missouri, Iowa, leaving me with Alabama and North Carolina as the only 2 I didn't know their surroundings, but it looked more like Wilmington foliage.... Lol

True.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,157
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,008 posts
7,530 battles
2 hours ago, torpsRus said:

Looks like Alabama but I would need to see it bow on.

Bama doesn't have dual stacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Bama doesn't have dual stacks.

Like I said Id have to see it bow on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,157
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,008 posts
7,530 battles
1 minute ago, torpsRus said:

Like I said Id have to see it bow on.

And the conning tower is built differently. And the secondaries on Bama are closer together. And Bama has a different torp defense and overall armor scheme that's clearly seen from the side view.:Smile_medal:

 

Sorry. *giggles*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

If Id really had to guess Id probably say Mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,149 posts
3,665 battles
2 hours ago, Carniolan said:

"North Cal" is not a thing.

northern california

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×