Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

The Problem with CVs As They are in a Nutshell

10 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

CVs... They have many roles, but it's either nearly all surface, or nearly all dogfights. Some games, the CVs pretty much only attack surface ships,(causing lots of salty surface ship players) only dodging and trapping each other's fighters when necessary. Other games, it's all Dogfights and trying to win control of the air, and barely any anti-surface ship attacks are done because the bombers keep getting intercepted and annihilated long before they reach their target.(Here, surface players are angry that they aren't getting any support from the CV) Good luck getting any help from a CV in the latter situation.

Oh, and you better pray, and pray hard that YOUR TEAM doesn't get the WORSE PLAYER in the latter situation, or lose the team's Tier VI CV in a Tier VI CV + Tier V CV v Tier VI CV + Tier V CV match-up, because it's pretty much game over if one of those things things happen.

If both happen, well...

out of the frying pan, into the fire

end of the line

kiss your butt goodbye 

...and THAT is why I think most people hate CVs.

Discuss.

[ARP2]
Members
7 posts
1,549 battles

CVs can't keep the whole team protected from a strike, the surface ships play a role as well. Too often when I play CV there would be ships that venture ahead or fall behind which makes them prime targets to be attacked. Sure, it is the CV's duty to recognize these openings but when there is a lot of things going on (ex. Having a dogfight, trying to attack, looking for ship torpedos,etc.) these openings can easily be missed. As cliche as it may be to say that ships should at least move in small groups, not enough players do it IMO. 

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
4 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

CVs... They have many roles, but it's either nearly all surface, or nearly all dogfights. Some games, the CVs pretty much only attack surface ships,(causing lots of salty surface ship players) only dodging and trapping each other's fighters when necessary. Other games, it's all Dogfights and trying to win control of the air, and barely any anti-surface ship attacks are done because the bombers keep getting intercepted and annihilated long before they reach their target.(Here, surface players are angry that they aren't getting any support from the CV) Good luck getting any help from a CV in the latter situation.

level a CV up to tier 8 then play at least 50 matches then come back and see if what you claim is true because i can tell you right now your off on a lot of those points and the reasons behind them and non CV players have no idea what go's on from the CV side they just see what they want to see. So if you think your claims and reasons are true level up a CV to tier 8 even better do US CV and get Lexington after the first 10 matches you won't think the same.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
6 hours ago, ausanimal said:

level a CV up to tier 8 then play at least 50 matches then come back and see if what you claim is true because i can tell you right now your off on a lot of those points and the reasons behind them and non CV players have no idea what go's on from the CV side they just see what they want to see. So if you think your claims and reasons are true level up a CV to tier 8 even better do US CV and get Lexington after the first 10 matches you won't think the same.

I've played CVs before, NO, admittedly not to tier VIII, but that's because A: it's frustrating and B: manual drops are tricky to get the hang of.

Also, I didn't say I agreed with the salty players(in parentheses in my original post), only that I think I understand what causes them to get salty: an incorrect understanding/total lack of knowledge in CV play, and therefore not understanding their CV's situation/plight.

With that said, I NEVER said to take my opinion as law. I just wanted to start a discussion, and how better to start one with my opinion as to possibly why CVs are so hated by surface ship players.

I hope that explained it better for you.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

Also, I know CV play is A LOT more complicated, difficult, and frustrating than surface ship gameplay, so it's no wonder why so many either suck at it or have quit it.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

Also, I know CV play is A LOT more complicated, difficult, and frustrating than surface ship gameplay, so it's no wonder why so many either suck at it or have quit it.

Players are bad at CV apart from the balance issue is every tier there is more to learn, new ships to learn to avoid, how to move your CV on the map, learning to get manual drops and strafes right. It's not like BB where you learn to angle early, what ammo to use and that dosn't change as you go up the tiers you don't have to change how much you angle or how far back you should be.

The non CV player base is also a major factor in CV players not getting good or they quit it, when a new CV player ask for help or info on hear one of the things we warn them about is the crap CV players get and you have to learn to ignore it and get ready for reports. I can take my Zuiho out for a relaxing match get top XP earner, spot, most kills, AA cover and carry the team a fair bit yet i will come out of the match with a report.

CV is a class that takes time you ask any of the top CV players like fem and i'm sure she will say it took her a while to get good and the manual drops perfect on each drop. If the non CV players didn't give CV players so much crap and helped them in matches then things would go a lot better for both sides, if you see your CV struggle to compete with the other CV get them to play defensive without screaming at them, give them pointers, don't report them if they spot and give AA cover but do little damage because they new they were facing a better CV player and wanted to help the team more then deal damage.

If i'm in another ship and die ill help the CV as much as i can by giving tips or better targets for them instead of getting [edited] at them because i died.

• Cool 1

[WOWII]
Members
1 post
3,128 battles

Thank you, ausanimal.  I am new to playing CVs and I know that my performance is not the greatest.  Sometimes, it is pretty bad, but at least I try and I am not an AFKer.  However... sometimes there are these expectations that CVs are some sort of "magic ship" (i.e. that their planes can be everywhere, that they can sink all the other team's ships, etc).  The reality is that CV players often have to go against ships that are two or three tiers higher, with superior AA.   I find some of the language/insults that players "spew" at each other is neither helpful or constructive.  Maybe, if there was more "teamwork" and "constructive criticism/advice" matches would more enjoyable. 

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 hours ago, pawb63 said:

Thank you, ausanimal.  I am new to playing CVs and I know that my performance is not the greatest.  Sometimes, it is pretty bad, but at least I try and I am not an AFKer.  However... sometimes there are these expectations that CVs are some sort of "magic ship" (i.e. that their planes can be everywhere, that they can sink all the other team's ships, etc).  The reality is that CV players often have to go against ships that are two or three tiers higher, with superior AA.   I find some of the language/insults that players "spew" at each other is neither helpful or constructive.  Maybe, if there was more "teamwork" and "constructive criticism/advice" matches would more enjoyable. 

Agreed. People seem to think that carriers can cover anyone anywhere at anytime, have infinite squadrons of fighters that they can have in the air at once, have infinite planes, and aren't the slightest bit bothered by AA.

In truth, none of these things are accurate. CVs can only cover so many allies/allied squadrons at a time with their fighters, and a lot of CVs only have a single fighter squadron. Those that have multiple either are super high-tier, or they have significant weaknesses to balance their strengths. 

Also, CVs(especially low-tier CVs) have very limited planes. They are quite like WoT SPGs, in that they carry very limited ammo. High Tier is somewhat better in this regard, but AA brings them down MUCH, MUCH FASTER, so there's definitely a trade-off.

On the flip side, CVs may have lots more plane reserves at Tier VIII+. but everyone and their brother-in-law has god-tier(as Flamu would say) AA. AA plays Bowser to CVs' Mario. Mario(CVs) may find a way to(by getting high damage numbers/kills and influence the outcome of the match) attempt to reach Princess Peach(general AA/plane balance), but Bowser(AA) is always one step ahead, moving Princess Peach(general AA/plane balance) once again out of reach of Mario(CVs). 

Members
248 posts
10,442 battles

I don't understand the point of talking about CVs:

1. In *this* game, the way WG has implemented CVs - the player base has rejected CVs.
  2. WG has confirmed that CVs are being redone.
  3. So why talk further about the current CV mechanics.

Its because of the above points that personally I see no point in playing CVs at all. If I play them I am stretching out their lifespan.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
4 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

I don't understand the point of talking about CVs:

1. In *this* game, the way WG has implemented CVs - the player base has rejected CVs.
  2. WG has confirmed that CVs are being redone.
  3. So why talk further about the current CV mechanics.

Its because of the above points that personally I see no point in playing CVs at all. If I play them I am stretching out their lifespan.

I agree. I was just restating some of my opinions as to why the CV rework is necessary, that is all.

Sign in to follow this