Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Varathius

World of PremWarships WoPW ?

45 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
167 posts

Just curious, we soon reaching the 100 premium warships milestone, maybe time for a name change?

seriously, what is this crap, can’t even take a few months of a break without like 20 new prem ships being introduced?

So much energy on prem ships these days....

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 10

[VW]
Members
1,934 posts
12,495 battles

Dont see what’s wrong with that. If people want to pay let them. They’ve given several away for free, that’s pretty cool in my book.

• Cool 5

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

I don’t mind them. The more ships there are, the better. Plus WG depends on the sales of premium content.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles

I just got a free Atlanta and Sims, so it's not like they're being stingy with them.

• Cool 1

[-WPG-]
Members
801 posts
3,346 battles

How about World of Ways of Making Money on a Free to Play Game to Continue to be Able to Develop Content for Those of Us Who Appreciate This Underserved Genre?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,445 posts
8,092 battles

quick count (not super accurate) but, by my count with an inbound UK DD line and last two for IJN's split, gives us around 172 tech tree ships in terms of proper tech tree. 

4 "premiums" are free xp only, a 5th, Salem, is Coal only, and two are former rewards now steel only, so, those are ships you have to work for. A further two (not counting Bama as there is a public version) were awarded to alpha and beta testers. And Shinonome is only if you complete a campaign.

You can remove ARP award ships and really the HSF ones as those were collabs separate from the standard game. 

Which removing GZ as it will not be released till the rework because of extreme foolishness from day 1 with it, leaves a total of 74 premiums that we actively know about, maybe a couple I'm out of the loop on. 

So, we currently have about 2.3x as many tech tree ships as premiums, more if you count the free xp/coal/steel/alpha/beta ships.

And, not counting RNG missions (cause I haven't even seen the one for Cleve, let alone Atlanta or the others) somewhere between 8-11 were put in missions rewards or out right given away, 8 I can confirm, others are a bit sketchy on memory. And 5 of those are tier 5+. And of those 5 only 1, Duke of York, is a clone ship, and I bring this up because a ship like Duke, Musashi, Kami clones are easier and cheaper because other than some tweaking and small changes a chunk of work is done, your not building from scratch. So they aren't really even doing "here's a cheap clone, they have given away, for those at times willing to work not buy it, ships they spent hundreds, if not thousands of man hours on for nothing. 

Not to mention that it's what helps keep the game going and is a great way to get things into a larger groups hands, without just giving it away, to gather test data on things that can be implemented in the future like say, smoke on cruisers, additional slots, odd group numbers, torps on BB's, etc. 

• Cool 3

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,307 posts
6,587 battles

Wargaming, and this game as well, rely on making Money to operate the Servers, to pay their employees and to do all the other stuff that companies Need to do which I don't want to list here now. Since this game is Free to Play WG Needs to create Content or benefits that are in general behind a paywall, or else the entire concept would fall apart.

We don't have Access to the numbers of what creates more income for WG, if it's Premium Ships, Premium Time, doubloons or the sale of various things in their Shops (both in-game items like flags or Merchandise). But given how WG is still spending resources on creating Premium ships, it's safe to assume that Overall the benefits of These ships outweigh the costs (note that the benefit can also be the gaining of new Players that you lured in with the ship).

So as Long as it keeps the game running, Keep making These boats. Just don't screw up things with them :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
167 posts

Yes they rely to make money, I saw their new HQ and lol, they are doing more than just fine. I agree with prem ships, got plenty myself, but it just feels now that prem ships are being pumped into the game all the time instead of expanding ship lines. Sorry, but those guys are drowning with money as it is, and instead of expanding nation ship lines they just pump prem ship after prem ship, that is all that somewhat bothers me.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles
26 minutes ago, Varathius said:

instead of expanding nation ship lines they just pump prem ship after prem ship, that is all that somewhat bothers me.

Guess we're completely ignoring French BBs, the US cruiser split, new IJN gunboat DDs, the upcoming RN DD line, all of which are 2018.

They're still rolling out more tech tree ships than premiums, and the number of premium ships released per year has been more or less the same over the past few years as well, but I guess everyone needs something to complain about nowadays even if they have to make something up..

• Cool 9
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Guess we're completely ignoring French BBs, the US cruiser split, new IJN gunboat DDs, the upcoming RN DD line, all of which are 2018.

They're still rolling out more tech tree ships than premiums, and the number of premium ships released per year has been more or less the same over the past few years as well, but I guess everyone needs something to complain about nowadays even if they have to make something up..

This.

It's also relevant to note that the release of eight to ten tech tree ships (depending on where the line starts; cruisers at T1, destroyers at T2, battleships at T3) is probably a lot more work than the release of the same number of unrelated premiums, because you not only have to match each ship properly to its tier but arrange an orderly progression through the line. And it's thankless work, especially for the accounting department, because none of those tech tree ships will ever directly have money spent on it; the cost has to be absorbed by the purchase of premiums, premium time, doubloons, etc. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles

One thing to keep in mind though is, how many potential tech tree nations are left?

It's easy to find more American ships that you can fit in, but there are so many American ships in the game already, and how many of those ships would just be indistinct from existing ships already in the game?

But it's when thinking about nations not yet in the game where there aren't many options left. Yeah maybe Italy could fill a tech tree, for the most part. Pan-america. But then? Dutch? Yeah, they're a candidate and I hope they get introduced, but chances are they'll be part of a pan-eurean tech tree insteas of getting their own nationality.

And then?

WoT has the same problem. Everything historically significant has been introduced in that game years ago, and they're just running out of material to introduce.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

Ships Introduced to NA Client in 2015:

• Tech Tree:  88 (34 American, 34 Japanese, 10 German, 10 Soviet)
  • Premium & Reward Ships:  22

Ships Introduced to NA Client in 2016: 

• Tech Tree:  40 (10 British, 17 German, 4 Japanese, 9 Soviet)
  • Premium & Reward Ships:  35 (including 9 Arpeggio of Blue Steel clones and 1 Southern Dragon clone)

Ships Introduced to NA Client in 2017:

• Tech Tree:  31 (10 French, 3 Soviet, 8 British, 10 Pan Asian)
  • Premium & Reward Ships:  26

Ships (so far) Introduced to NA Client in 2018:

• Tech Tree: 13 (8 French, 5 American)
  • Premium & Reward Ships:  13 (including 1 Eastern Dragon clone).

GRAND TOTALS:

• 172 Tech Tree Ships
  • 96 Premium & Reward Ships

RATIO:  9 tech tree ships per 5 premium/reward ships.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 4

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

Mouse, Mouse...

You cannot defuse a good rant with statistics! Rational thought and a little research ruins the OP's venting and complaining mood.

• Funny 4

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's easy to find more American ships that you can fit in, but there are so many American ships in the game already, and how many of those ships would just be indistinct from existing ships already in the game?

Respectfully speaking, this is something already claimed about the proliferation of Russian Tier 3 premium cruisers.

When you've got no more ships left to introduce, then you are reliant on variety of content in a very big way. That's when we start looking at things like low-tier operations. I'd argue for low-tier Ranked, but at Tier 3 everyone would bring a St Louis or Bogatyr and Hell would be unleashed (literally). 

We have Italy, pan-American, pan-European (including Turkey so the battlecruiser fans can have their Goeben, perhaps cross-operational with German captains).

The pan-American line can't build a full battleship tech tree, but there are some interesting and fascinating cruiser possibilities that existed in blueprint going beyond the Second World War, and there are probably enough unique destroyer proposals from the British private yards that we can avoid a completely hand-me-down destroyer line. Yes, they would be paper ships - but they were paper ships that were ready to build if only the contract had been signed. They also have hand-me-down aircraft carriers, when that rework gets done, and the British, who have operated carriers almost continuously since the birth of the type, can build a complete CV line (maybe going for the paper Malta at Tier X, but the more solid might-have-beens are part of the fun of this game).

There is always the possibility of pre-dreadnoughts; we have Mikasa already, after all. French pre-Dreadnoughts are some of the weirdest and most outlandish-looking ships ever to take to the water, though their mixed main armament might require some ballistic fudging (12 inch and 10.8 inch IIRC; they could make the ballistics identical and alter the Krupp values on target).

And when THAT fails, there is always "World of Warships: Ironclad Era", where you could start with the first turret ships and work up to pre-Dreadnoughts and fast armoured cruisers at Tier X.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,852 posts
12,593 battles

Most of my premium ships are from the Secret Santa events and I enjoy them all! Pay to Win ! Bah Humbug ! Come on Christmas ! Getting $50+ ships for $10 or less is great ! They are different yes and pay off better in a win but they are not at all very more powerful than tech tree ships.

Beta Testers
397 posts
3,655 battles

Also, you can kind of turn your Tech Tree ships in "Pseudo-Premiums" when you buy the permanent Camo for Gold or use some of the regulars ones for the boosts they provide

So in a way, it already is World of Premium Warships.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,006 battles

A few Premium ships are better than their tech tree counterparts, but most are sideways gimmicks or even downgrades. 

Taking recent examples, Hey-Doah has gimmicks but doesn’t seem to work as a package. Z-39 is ok but certainly not a wrecking machine. Duca d’Abruzzi... don’t see many of those do you?  Even the Massachusetts has weaknesses to offset those secondaries and North Carolina isn’t eclipsed by the new Premium. 

Yes, I was really surprised when Giulio Cesare and Koenig Albert reappeared in the Premium shop. KA is flat out better than Nassau, and Giulio is a strong T-5 BB. However, those two are the exceptions not the rule. 

[CYPHR]
[CYPHR]
Members
125 posts
8,715 battles

if been getting more free premiun ships by playing the missions and out of containers then what i buy

and not all premiun ships are good or fit your play stile

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And when THAT fails, there is always "World of Warships: Ironclad Era", where you could start with the first turret ships and work up to pre-Dreadnoughts and fast armoured cruisers at Tier X.

I've long maintained that I would love to see a WoWS style arena shooter focusing on the era of the first Ironclads to the last pre-Dreads

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
26 minutes ago, SirMuttonChops said:

Also, you can kind of turn your Tech Tree ships in "Pseudo-Premiums" when you buy the permanent Camo for Gold or use some of the regulars ones for the boosts they provide

So in a way, it already is World of Premium Warships.

The one thing you can't do in a perma-camo tech tree ship is to swap the captains around freely (without retraining penalty). And that, as I am currently learning, is a very valuable thing to be able to do.

[CAST]
Members
1,424 posts
5,956 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

One thing to keep in mind though is, how many potential tech tree nations are left?

• Pan-American, as you pointed out.
  • Dutch, ditto.
  • Italian
  • Pan-European
  • Actual Commonwealth trees.
  • RN carriers
  • French destroyers
  • Norwegian destroyers
  • Swedish destroyers

That's primarily off the top of my head (had to confirm Norway & Sweden had enough ships to make a full line realistic), and I'm likely forgetting at least a couple potential lines.  Then of course if we continue the practice of "building" paper ships, that offers up even more possibilities.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles

@Harv72b Tech tree NATIONS. Not tech tree LINES.

There aren't really many NATIONS left that aren't featured in the game yet and yet can field complete tech tree lines.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I think this has gone on long enough. So much hate, so much anger, so much loss. It's time for world of peaceships.

4c3302f5bcb67afcc9d221e4f7588dc2.jpg

Beta Testers
845 posts
5,984 battles
4 hours ago, Varathius said:

Sorry, but those guys are drowning with money as it is, and instead of expanding nation ship lines they just pump prem ship after prem ship, that is all that somewhat bothers me.

Sorry, but none of what you said was correct.

Back to the drawing board.

Sign in to follow this