Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Z0RAK

KGV to Monarch, what's with the AP?

9 comments in this topic

[1IF]
Members
78 posts
2,709 battles

A couple of days ago, I finished the KGV grind and found that overall, I enjoyed the ship.  Good concealment, AP hits hard when you're not trying to citadel BBs, plus the old RN BB fire starting capability.  Given players' opinions on the RN BB line, I found KGV to be underrated, though it is the only BB that I've had the front turret destroyed...twice.

So, now I'm on to the famous and historical Monarch, or KGV round 2.  The atrocious dispersion aside (completely missing the target at less than 7km!), I've noticed that her AP is very...unsatisfactory.  Playing her in coop, I sent my salvoes into the upper belt and superstructure of an undamaged Bismarck (broadside to me at the time).  Two regular pens for no damage, and a bunch of bounces.  Against her German counterpart at ranges of less than 7km, the AP when it penned barely damaged the target.  I finally switched to HE just to get some damage on it.  Other games, she can knock off 15k easily in a salvo.  Her AP like all BB AP still wrecks cruisers that can't bounce it, and when RNGesus blesses your salvo, I'm sure the short fuse timer shells will wreck DDs.

I'm trying not to be an HE spamming derp with my RN BBs, but with the very inconsistent AP performance that I've seen against BBs in about 5 matches, I can see why most players just stick to HE and fire starting.  Does Monarch just have terrible AP, or is it just me?  I should think I know how to aim BB guns at this point.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles
11 minutes ago, Z0RAK said:

Does Monarch just have terrible AP, or is it just me?

Yes,it has terrible AP performance only against armored ships.simply because...

18 minutes ago, Z0RAK said:

I'm sure the short fuse timer shells...

I had a bitter sweet experiences with mine also.

• Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
14,451 posts
10,446 battles

The sad thing is, it can't even reliably citadel cruisers with its AP, because of something to do with the short fuze, poor penetration and faster MV.

[FML]
Members
1,758 posts
10,132 battles

Monarch is a cursed ship for me. I really, really hate it. I feel bad every time I bring myself to play it because it can’t hit anything, even at close ranges <10 km. 

Literally, the only think going for it is it’s stealth. And it needs to get closer than 13km to do damage. 

It’s awful and makes me sad. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Z0RAK said:

A couple of days ago, I finished the KGV grind and found that overall, I enjoyed the ship.  Good concealment, AP hits hard when you're not trying to citadel BBs, plus the old RN BB fire starting capability.  Given players' opinions on the RN BB line, I found KGV to be underrated, though it is the only BB that I've had the front turret destroyed...twice.

So, now I'm on to the famous and historical Monarch, or KGV round 2.  The atrocious dispersion aside (completely missing the target at less than 7km!), I've noticed that her AP is very...unsatisfactory.  Playing her in coop, I sent my salvoes into the upper belt and superstructure of an undamaged Bismarck (broadside to me at the time).  Two regular pens for no damage, and a bunch of bounces.  Against her German counterpart at ranges of less than 7km, the AP when it penned barely damaged the target.  I finally switched to HE just to get some damage on it.  Other games, she can knock off 15k easily in a salvo.  Her AP like all BB AP still wrecks cruisers that can't bounce it, and when RNGesus blesses your salvo, I'm sure the short fuse timer shells will wreck DDs.

I'm trying not to be an HE spamming derp with my RN BBs, but with the very inconsistent AP performance that I've seen against BBs in about 5 matches, I can see why most players just stick to HE and fire starting.  Does Monarch just have terrible AP, or is it just me?  I should think I know how to aim BB guns at this point.

It was the only Brit BB is couldn't wait to get rid of.

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles

i ask myself why WG didn't remove the ap shells from british battleships already,the  broken HE shells are so much better for obvious reasons.

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles

Monarch at best is only a small upgrade from KGV, but is mostly a sidegrade, and in some cases, is just a plain downgrade. 

Afterall, Monarch is the bastard clone of KGV, being a Frankenstein's monster of RN BB parts, and therefore WG couldn't be bothered to change a lot of the stats. And the RN 15" are no upgrade on the 14", even if the 14" has been nerfed in AP performance from it's historical capabilities, and then nerfed again with the shorter fuse. The RN 15" gets the same short fuse making it's increase in penetration a bit irrelevant, and coupled with the basically straight out inferior HE round (in the ways that matter), the only thing to write home about is the better shell arcs, which even then are not too brilliant. It doesn't help that the RN 15" was the worst BB shell at penetrating already at tier 8, though not too far behind. You aren't doing anything wrong, just experiencing the complete idiocy of WG's approach to these RN BBs, this one in particular being the epitome of it going wrong.

Basically Monarch(Scrapheap Challenge; RN BB edition) is a KGV with inferior armament, getting the benefits of T8. When the RN BBs are reworked, I sincerely hope KGV gets moved to T8 to send the Mongrel to the phantom zone. A fast QE design (Design A - 1915) can take the T7 spot. Personally, I would also remove the 1/4 HE and short fuses, and instead have better bounce angles on the AP. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this