You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

I love Destroyers but I'm a POTATO

15 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Yea my over all win rate aint that great I get that.  No need to stat shame me because my win rate is below 50 percent.  I mean I try to play the game the best that I can.  I have my stats unlocked yes.  Well that's out of the way.  I love destroyers.  They are fast and well stealthy.  When radar came into play they became more of a challenge to play.  Not saying its a bad thing in anyway shape or form.  But I've never really been that great of a destroyer player.  Or player in general for that matter.  I am a Potato.  I at least can admit that fact.  I try to improve but it's difficult when you get to loose a match every day.  Oh well.  I also try to have fun with the game.

Sometimes that is difficult as I said when you have the trolls trying to stat shame you or just trash talk and being toxic.  I don't care much for it.  I fight back if I have to.  If I offended you I apologize.  But when I play destroyers I guess I rush into far and try to cap.  Or I just get deleted sometimes in an instant.  Some matches go great and I can get well over 100 K in damage over all.  But its difficult to learn what taticts are appropriate for each destroyer.  I have not yet finished out the German DDs.  I already have Gearing and Shimakaze both unlocked.  I was no good with Gearing I was garbage with it.  Same with Simakaze I was complete garbage with it.   Akizuki is a 50 50 at the moment.

I am always trying to learn how to play better.  Using steal more than actually going in with guns blazing even though my current playing ship Akizuki is a gun boat.  I'm still trying to figure out when exactly I need to use AP.  I do know that I can use it on broadsided cruisers.  But the meta of radar has made it even more challenging to get in close to be able to ap broadiside a cruiser.  Live and learn I guess.  I guess I will get it eventually.  No this wasn't a rant just a potato being a potato.

• Boring 2

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
255 posts
3,194 battles

You can also make fries with them... ^_^

Don't play DD's a whole lot, but I really enjoy the Kidd... I do okay in it. :cap_cool:

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I'm actually kinda wishin I had some fries at the moment lol.:Smile_amazed:

• Funny 3

[PLPT]
Members
65 posts
4,560 battles

Torps,

The key to playing DDs is staying alive until mid-late game. Play aggressively conservative at the start. Spot, smoke teammates and cap/contest if you can safely early game, but stay alive. Later on, after some ships have died (especially those radar cruisers you've been wearing out your f3 key on), cap and hunt down vunerable ships. Russian DDs being the exception of course.

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles
37 minutes ago, NobleWhiteMan said:

Torps,

The key to playing DDs is staying alive until mid-late game. Play aggressively conservative at the start. Spot, smoke teammates and cap/contest if you can safely early game, but stay alive. Later on, after some ships have died (especially those radar cruisers you've been wearing out your f3 key on), cap and hunt down vunerable ships. Russian DDs being the exception of course.

...Russian ships of any type being the exception above T7....as for being a DD potato, I have seniority!!

Members
855 posts
3,584 battles

Its hard to fix a win-rate that is damaged from so many battles. Certainly since you are going to continue losing matches no matter how good you are and the best most people can hope for is 50-56 percent win-rates. 

A'lot of people that may stat shame you re-rolled accounts once they learned the game so that they can have a good win-rate.  Most newer players coming into the game now are going to have a sub-50 win-rate because the game is alot harder then it use to be. 

in the early days you could carry alot harder because you didn't have skills like priority target, captain skills made a larger impact, and you have alot of OP cheeese such as Jap torps, invis firing DDs at range ect......

People coming into the game today can't rely on cheese. 

Members
322 posts
6,070 battles

One thing, that I have to remind myself, is the first mouse does not always get the cheese.  Especially with the current radar meta.  It's not always wise to go rushing in to cap or contest a cap right away.  I am guilty of being overly aggressive in most of US DD's. and have paid for it many times, being lit up and no where to hide. I look at the enemy team composition, and what, if any ships are spotted near the caps. Is there an island that a Des Moines or another radar boat might be hiding behind, etc.  Now I frequently will skirt a cap circle, hoping to spot said cruisers, or I will dip into the cap and pull back out, to bait an early radar use. Also, you don't have to play as a lone wolf all the time.  Hooking up with a cruiser and being his eyes, can be every bit as effective for a win.  Few nights ago, I had a chance to run a couple matches with a guy in a Worcester, while in my Shimakaze and Gearing, and he pretty much obliterated every DD I spotted, then hid in my smoke and lit up everything else. Of course, that stuff only works if you have team mates willing to work with you.  I've had more than my share of guys tell me they will back me up, and the first time they take a little fire, they're headed for the back of the map, or another cap lol.

I only consider myself average at best in DD's. As far as improving, I still spend time watching videos for all ship types, from better players, to see what they did or did not do, that I did or did not do, etc. I also watch them during matches, if I have managed to get myself killed early. Watching Zampy play just about any DD, is interesting, to say the least.

[FML]
Members
1,751 posts
10,116 battles

OP, keep at it. Becoming a good destroyer player is the key to becoming much better at all classes in the game. 

I’m not a DD expert, but I’ve found that doing DDs is all about learning when NOT to fire (torps and guns) as well as being ok with running away early.

Whole enemy team coming to your side of the map? Don’t stand and fight - random torps, spot, run and look to reposition into the centre or other side.

Only hang around if your whole team also went that way, in which case engage strong team play - smoke cruisers and run and spot. 

Stay alive

???

Profit.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

One thing that really helped my DD gameplay (actually ALL my gameplay in all classes) was watching people on Youtube like Notser, Mighty Jingles, NoZoupForYou, etc. Just seeing how they position themselves on the map, choose the correct targets, and aim correctly has helped me improve a bunch.

[TDRB]
Members
1,079 posts
4,141 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

Yea my over all win rate aint that great I get that.  No need to stat shame me because my win rate is below 50 percent.  I mean I try to play the game the best that I can.  I have my stats unlocked yes.  Well that's out of the way.  I love destroyers.  They are fast and well stealthy.  When radar came into play they became more of a challenge to play.  Not saying its a bad thing in anyway shape or form.  But I've never really been that great of a destroyer player.  Or player in general for that matter.  I am a Potato.  I at least can admit that fact.  I try to improve but it's difficult when you get to loose a match every day.  Oh well.  I also try to have fun with the game.

Sometimes that is difficult as I said when you have the trolls trying to stat shame you or just trash talk and being toxic.  I don't care much for it.  I fight back if I have to.  If I offended you I apologize.  But when I play destroyers I guess I rush into far and try to cap.  Or I just get deleted sometimes in an instant.  Some matches go great and I can get well over 100 K in damage over all.  But its difficult to learn what taticts are appropriate for each destroyer.  I have not yet finished out the German DDs.  I already have Gearing and Shimakaze both unlocked.  I was no good with Gearing I was garbage with it.  Same with Simakaze I was complete garbage with it.   Akizuki is a 50 50 at the moment.

I am always trying to learn how to play better.  Using steal more than actually going in with guns blazing even though my current playing ship Akizuki is a gun boat.  I'm still trying to figure out when exactly I need to use AP.  I do know that I can use it on broadsided cruisers.  But the meta of radar has made it even more challenging to get in close to be able to ap broadiside a cruiser.  Live and learn I guess.  I guess I will get it eventually.  No this wasn't a rant just a potato being a potato.

My win rate sucks too. I play the best I can. I use stats to see if I am improving. While I watch my win rate I figure it will improve as my XP & damage per battle rises. The same outlook goes with the ship sunk per battle.

I like cruisers, USN cruisers. I mostly play them in the operation of the week rather than randoms . I feel OP's are better for  training than coop's. Plus you earn XP & credits at a higher rate.

The game is for your enjoyment. I know you want to do your best but play what you love and your stats will improve.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
57 minutes ago, Slumlord_Trump said:

Its hard to fix a win-rate that is damaged from so many battles. Certainly since you are going to continue losing matches no matter how good you are and the best most people can hope for is 50-56 percent win-rates. 

A'lot of people that may stat shame you re-rolled accounts once they learned the game so that they can have a good win-rate.  Most newer players coming into the game now are going to have a sub-50 win-rate because the game is alot harder then it use to be. 

in the early days you could carry alot harder because you didn't have skills like priority target, captain skills made a larger impact, and you have alot of OP cheeese such as Jap torps, invis firing DDs at range ect......

People coming into the game today can't rely on cheese. 

I just miss the days of Ninja smoke lol.

[KNTI2]
Members
785 posts
4,299 battles
3 hours ago, torpsRus said:

Even gunbotes are not supposed to fire as soon as they are within range. Not always, even if they are broadside and have already spotted you.

The key to good DD work is to CHOOSE when and where you want to fight. Use your mobility and stealth to flank them around islands and torp them while broadside, or throw torps to make them go broadside to allies. The tactics you use for each ship vary based on how its mobility, stealth, and weapons work.

Sometimes it actually helps to intentionally expose yourself by firing, if you've launched torps. Fire when your torps are within 3 km, and they will get distracted with firing on you. They will usually eat the torps.

> radar

The key thing with radar is that now, knife fighting is an extreme danger. Even if you're in a gunbote, avoid engaging unless it's just you and the other DD (i.e far cap where no backup is expected). Edge the cap just enough to tag it, and then when they pop radar, wiggle your butt enough to make them want to fire and reveal their position while going at max speed with speed boost. As you exit the cap, throw torps in a direction that would force their likely approach into a bad angle (i.e toward your team, into an island, or otherwise not in a position to quickly escape the focus fire).

Radar means that your primary weapon for contesting caps is not your torps or guns, it's your spotting. Since they want to radar the caps, go VERY wide and flank them to spot them. Radar makes smoke irrelevant for you within the cap, but outside of the cap, it can let cruisers stealth fire at a critical time (if they understand the utility/drawbacks of smoke).

[NNA]
Members
191 posts
5,650 battles

I play Cruisers the most, but I do have a couple of DD's that I like to play (Monaghan & Blyskawica), though my win rate is not all that great either. I've learned to not rush in and try to cap, but to spot and smoke for those coming up behind me. I've also watch videos and read player's blogs on tactics with different ship types. I think the best tactic that I've learned to date is to slow down and advance slowly and let my concealment work for me. I often wait before shooting  just to see how close I can get before being detected and then pop off some smoke for cover. I find that I'm able to get better hits using this tactic and if I have CAs and BBs drawing the targets fire then I can pound them with guns or position myself for a shooting solution with my torps. It works, mostly, but not all the time. I've even adopted similar strategies when I play cruisers. Most of all I just try to have fun and enjoy the game and ignore the trolls and shamers. 

[-TAB-]
Members
1,603 posts
5,163 battles
3 hours ago, torpsRus said:

me too. I love DDs, and started playing BBs because they're easier. CAs too, but after a while I miss the excitement of DD play.

also have shima, and gearing, and am struggling in both. occasionally I will play torp sniper in the shima, and have a good game, and take a LOT of crapfrom other players in the game. have only once had a fellow shima get on my case, he was already sunk, had rushed the cap and tried to knife fight with a gearing. evidently felt I should play that way too.

which is the way I prefer !! I really don't like the hide behind islands, peekaboo crap  that the game has largely become. DDs with deepwater torps that give you crap because their detection rate is about 1/2 yours. stealthy? not any more. the one time I ended up in a battle with only one red radar, there was a squall, so everybody was stealth. LOL bring the gearing, big AA, no CVs. bring the shima, no AA, CVs. every [edited]time....

WG really has taken a blunt object to DD play. sometimes, kamikaze is fun, but not when in T7 battles every [edited]  time. why do they want us to play so stupid timid?? make the BBs look more aggressive by comparison....