You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
My105mm

USS Salem

40 comments in this topic

[BB22]
Members
6 posts
5,035 battles

Does anyone own the ship yet?  Have seen one in battle yet?  If so, what are your impressions?

Is coal the only means to get her? 

Are there any conversions from free XP to coal, from from exchange credits to coal?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
152 posts
6,115 battles

I have seen one in battle.

Only conversion is from steel to coal.

Beta Testers
2,462 posts
5,635 battles

Overall it's rather identical to the Des Moines. It loses the 20 mms (not that you're going to miss them), and has slightly less HP than the Des Moines by 900 hitpoints.

The difference is in the heal and radar. The radar on Salem is the same as Atlanta radar, meaning it's pretty bad at tier X. The heal, however, is even better than Minotaur's. You can nearly heal 3x your health if you play it right.

Here's LWM's review of it which goes more in-depth:

And here's a short video review if you want something a bit more concise:

Edited by Cruiser_StLouis
Corrected some details.
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[BB22]
Members
6 posts
5,035 battles
42 minutes ago, Drago25x said:

I have seen one in battle.

Only conversion is from steel to coal.

If steel/coal is the only way, that means that she will be incredibly tough to get?

[HINON]
Members
9,031 posts
Just now, My105mm said:

If steel/coal is the only way, that means that she will be incredibly tough to get?

That's the idea as it's a t10 premium afterall.

Beta Testers
2,462 posts
5,635 battles
24 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

That's the idea as it's a t10 premium afterall.

Use "premium" carefully here. She doesn't have any economic multipliers the way regular premium ships (Missouri, Atlanta, Graf Spee, etc.) do. A Des Moines with the perma camo makes more than Salem out-of-the-box.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[BB22]
Members
6 posts
5,035 battles

I would love to own the ship as I have actually taken a tour of her in real life.

But perhaps the deal breaker for me is the lack of gun range (15.8km) with no available spotting plane.  Even when island hopping/hiding, a spotting plane can be invaluable.

I may just stick to my Des Moines.  She's plenty good enough in almost every area.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
3,824 battles
49 minutes ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

Use "premium" carefully here. She doesn't have any economic multipliers the way regular premium ships (Missouri, Atlanta, Graf Spee, etc.) do. A Des Moines with the perma camo makes more than Salem out-of-the-box.

Actually not quite, the Salem has the same tier 10 premium camouflage as any of the other tier 10s plus she has a built in service cost deduction of 90k credit base in random battles.

So with the premium camo the Salem has a service cost of 45k and when you stack up all the reductions you can get Salem's reduction cost to 27k.

In the end with similar results, the Salem will make more than the Des Moines out of the box.

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
7,444 battles
On 7/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, Cruiser_StLouis said:

This kinda defeats the purpose for me then. Well, Musashi is closer, coal wise. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
3,824 battles
39 minutes ago, Agmarr said:

If you're looking for a credit earning ship, then yes the Musashi would be the best ship for that in terms of coal.

Salem while having no economic bonuses in what it does in game compared to the Des Moines, it has a service cost that is half that of a tier 10 and it also gets a tier 10 premium camo that further reduces its service cost by another half thus its net earnings would be relatively more than the Des Moines if both ships earned the same amount of credits in a given battle before service fees.

• Cool 1

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
747 posts
7,609 battles

Played my first random battle in Salem today and cost 27000 to repair- with 10% flag and clan 10% reduction  A tier X with tier 6 service cost.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,178 posts
11,693 battles
7 hours ago, Agmarr said:

I believe that things have changed since this was originally reviewed.  The ship is issued with camo that's more economically viable.

• Cool 1

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
747 posts
7,609 battles

Salem has the same Tier X permanent camouflage with same bonuses as other X permanent camo.

Service cost is 90k, so a std service cost is 45000 without any other modifiers.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
9,037 battles

T10 prem camo? I thought her camo was going to be the same as a T8 and below. That makes her really attractive.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
747 posts
7,609 battles
14 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

T10 prem camo? I thought her camo was going to be the same as a T8 and below. That makes her really attractive.

It even states in the Arsenal what camouflage it gets and bonuses applied

Beta Testers
510 posts
4,657 battles

I have her and these are the differences that I know.

900 fewer hitpoints than Des Moines.

127mm AA for 91 DPS @ 5k range same as Des Moines

76mm AA for 335 DPS @ 5k range same as Des Moines

No 20mm which were only 43 DPS @ 2k range 

Radar is 8.5k for 25 sec as opposed to 9.9k for 40 sec with Des Moines

The consumables are different. With Des Moines Defensive AA and Hydro shared a slot. This means you can run Radar + Hydro for Clan Wars (since there are no CV) and for randoms you can choose Radar + Defensive AA (or Radar + Hydro again if that is what you prefer).

With Salem, the radar shares a slot with Hydro and DFAA is in its own slot. So for clan wars you have DF AA + Radar or DF AA + Hydro. DF AA is useless in Clan Wars and I am not sure that even in Randoms anyone would choose DFAA + Hydro over DFAA + Radar. So essentially you have only one set-up.

The heal is huge though.

I do not mind at all that it has a weaker radar, a few less hitpoints and a tiny bit less AA but I wish the consumable lay out were the same as Des Moines'. 

Over all I have no complaints.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
747 posts
7,609 battles

I’ve got propulsion mod on mine, makes it a bit quicker to duck in/out of island cover.

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
913 posts
5,939 battles

Does salem have a legendary mod? i don't think so... i'm wondering what they'll have for it

[MOH]
Members
239 posts
1,264 battles
2 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

Does salem have a legendary mod? i don't think so... i'm wondering what they'll have for it

Nope, it does not.  It's the only T10 without a legendary mod.

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles

Any chance someone who owns the Salem could post screenshots of the bonuses of any camo included with the ship, as well as an after-battle cred & xp report showing repair cost reduction?  I'm planning on saving up my coal for her, but I'm also trying to decide whether I should buy the Freedom perma-camo with my Eagles tokens from the Go Navy event.

Thanks!

~Skyhooker

[RST]
[RST]
Members
171 posts
14,918 battles
On 7/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, My105mm said:

Does anyone own the ship yet?  Have seen one in battle yet?  If so, what are your impressions?

Is coal the only means to get her? 

Are there any conversions from free XP to coal, from from exchange credits to coal?

The Little White Mouse has a great write up on the ship. It is a tougher ship to play over the Des Moines. I had a good first game in the ship. The second time I had an okay game. Was able to shoot down half the planes. 

Most of the other questions has been answered. If you want to play a tough ship that is another Des Moines. It is good in learning to workout your bad habits. 

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,156 battles
7 hours ago, Skyhooker said:

Any chance someone who owns the Salem could post screenshots of the bonuses of any camo included with the ship, as well as an after-battle cred & xp report showing repair cost reduction?  I'm planning on saving up my coal for her, but I'm also trying to decide whether I should buy the Freedom perma-camo with my Eagles tokens from the Go Navy event.

Thanks!

~Skyhooker

and here:

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles

Cool, thanks, guys - I'll check those out.  The reason I'm looking so closely at it is that it's available for coal, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to afford it sooner than I will the Des Moines or any other T10 for XP & credits.  I currently have no T10s, and my only T9s are the Mo and Fletcher.

~Sky

Edited by Skyhooker

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles
29 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

and here:

That thread you linked points to the one piece of info I needed - that the Salem already comes with a premium camo, so buying the Freedom skin would be a waste of tokens better spent buying the skin for the Des Moines, which doesn't come with a premium camo.

Thanks again!