Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

Edinburgh in Cherry Blossom operation

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,284 battles

How close do you have to be to the aero dome before your AP shells can hurt them?  I just for the Edinburgh last night and don't have too much experience with it in operations yet.  Thanks.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

If they are visible and in range of your guns is as close as you have to be. When shooting I found landing HE on the tarmac gives great numbers AP on the buildings Give mediocre numbers. 

[PVE]
Members
234 posts
11,045 battles

The problem is Edinburgh hae no High Explosive shells so you really can't do any real damage to the aero dome,you'll just have to farm some XP while the rest of team wrecks the air field

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles
42 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

How close do you have to be to the aero dome before your AP shells can hurt them?  I just for the Edinburgh last night and don't have too much experience with it in operations yet.  Thanks.

I used Edinburgh 2 days ago in that operation.  I was hitting airfields for damage towards her max range.  It may be a problem if you were trying to lob shells over islands, but are not quite getting over them.  I know that if you were in the center of the map lobbing shells towards the northern airfield, the hills there are shaped enough where you may get shells over the top, but there's like an incline on the reverse side where your shells are landing on.  It looks like your shells are over the apex but your shells don't land on the airfield to do damage.  I had to play around the range and be further back and my RN CL AP was hitting, doing damage.  It's not as good as HE shells from the other Cruisers, but I was doing damage on the airfield anyways.

Sometimes you have to do this even with Edinburgh's less than ideal AP against the airfields because you got a bunch of teammates focused solely on getting themselves killed against the non-objective ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,284 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I used Edinburgh 2 days ago in that operation.  I was hitting airfields for damage towards her max range.  It may be a problem if you were trying to lob shells over islands, but are not quite getting over them.  I know that if you were in the center of the map lobbing shells towards the northern airfield, the hills there are shaped enough where you may get shells over the top, but there's like an incline on the reverse side where your shells are landing on.  It looks like your shells are over the apex but your shells don't land on the airfield to do damage.  I had to play around the range and be further back and my RN CL AP was hitting, doing damage.  It's not as good as HE shells from the other Cruisers, but I was doing damage on the airfield anyways.

Thanks, I think the problem might be that I've been shooting the buildings (those rounded hanger looking things), I'll try shooting the airfield next time.

[-WPG-]
Members
828 posts
3,406 battles

Since you said you're new to operations, for this mission specifically don't shoot the airfields until all the enemies or dead (or if you're down to 4 people and at least one of you is on low health).  This is a very easy mission, which will probably be nerfed before its next outing, so everyone should farm as much XP as possible. 

Members
4,841 posts
5,608 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sometimes you have to do this even with Edinburgh's less than ideal AP against the airfields because you got a bunch of teammates focused solely on getting themselves killed against the non-objective ships.

I've found that elevating your cursor slightly above the back end of the airstrip gets better results than just putting the cursor on the airfield itself.

Either the hitboxes are off, or the way the targeting lock works causes the shells to fall too quickly if you're aiming right at the tarmac and a bunch of them actually end up missing. When I aim above the airstrip in Baltimore, I'm getting 30k+ volleys, whereas aiming at the tarmac often results in ~10k volleys, usually less. I haven't fiddled around with AP much though, as when I tried in the past it didn't seem to do any damage, both to the buildings and the airfield itself in Baltimore and Cleveland.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,468 posts
5,673 battles

Friend was having some trouble with this as well, the landmass hitboxes are a bit wonky and you actually need to be further away to arc your shells enough for them to land on the airfield itself. Otherwise the island just gobbles them up before the airfield.

[WOLFC]
Members
181 posts
14,150 battles

I tried aiming for the water tower (or there about) on the western airfield. Did massive damage. Took down the airfield in 4 or 5 salvos by myself. I was firing HE in my Chappy, though, so you might get different results with AP.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,694 posts
3,833 battles

There's a very very very specific place to hit, though I'm not too sure of where that is all the time.

Sign in to follow this