You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

A Couple Of Questions About Battleship Play

9 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,051 posts
5,861 battles

After having one of my replays reviewed by Lord Zath, I am wondering if anyone could answer the following questions, mainly pertaining to target selection and the concept of flanking:

1. I once read a battleship guide that stated that battleships should always shoot the target that's broadside, meaning ignoring the enemy Montana 7 km away that's bow-on and instead shooting the broadside North Carolina 13 km away. However, Lord Zath stated that I am doing the above (opportunistic broadsides) instead of, to paraphrase him, damaging and killing the ships that help the team win. What exactly does he mean by this, and how can I use this advice to improve my target selection?
  2. What exactly distinguishes "flanking" from "sailing uselessly away from the battle"? How can I ascertain when going off by myself to one side of the battle will help the team rather than hinder it?

All advice is welcome.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SPTR]
Members
1,724 posts
848 battles

1. The best thing I could say is that since a Montana presents a bigger threat you should focus him first rather than the T8's.

2.  My best guess is if you're dealing with a bow-tanking Yamato or the like, and sailing off to get his flank won't take u out of the battle for too long, but will enable you to counter said bow-tanker.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles

1) While there is some wisdom in firing at the broadside NC at 13km rather than the bow-in Montana at 7km, you have to decide for yourself which one is the bigger threat to the team. Without anything other than the vague example you sketched I wouls say shoot the NC but angle against the Montana, but that's assuming equal threat.

2) Flanking is having a purpose and a goal other than "Let's see what's there". Flanking is getting on the side of a target that's otherwise preoccupied.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
21 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

After having one of my replays reviewed by Lord Zath, I am wondering if anyone could answer the following questions, mainly pertaining to target selection and the concept of flanking:

1. I once read a battleship guide that stated that battleships should always shoot the target that's broadside, meaning ignoring the enemy Montana 7 km away that's bow-on and instead shooting the broadside North Carolina 13 km away. However, Lord Zath stated that I am doing the above (opportunistic broadsides) instead of, to paraphrase him, damaging and killing the ships that help the team win. What exactly does he mean by this, and how can I use this advice to improve my target selection?
  2. What exactly distinguishes "flanking" from "sailing uselessly away from the battle"? How can I ascertain when going off by myself to one side of the battle will help the team rather than hinder it?

All advice is welcome.

1.  Sounds kind of confusing there.  I will say this.  If you are indeed ignoring that bow camping Montana 7km away from you, if that Montana were me, I'd be blasting your turrets apart at that range.  Even Yamato's super heavily protected, angled turret faces will fail at that range.  Ignore me all you want.

2.  Time.  There's a big difference from "flanking" that has early returns for your team, to "flanking" where the ship is out of the fight so long before it reaches proper fighting position, that it may as well have been sunk.  If a flanking maneuver looks like it will take too long to complete before you effectively engage the enemy, you just took 1 precious BB out of the team's lineup.  If a "flanking" maneuver takes so long that your group is dead or retreating before you got into proper fighting position, you indeed were "sailing uselessly away from the battle."  This is even more crucial if you are something like the only BB for that flank of the team.

Sometimes your BB needs to stay there with the rest, because any sign of you doing some weird maneuver where it looks like you are taking yourself out of the fight, you will be starting a chain reaction of retreat.  I found this especially so with the typical, tentative Random players.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[B2P]
Members
512 posts
13,634 battles

Along with looking to shoot any broadside ships, you should look at any lower health ones as well.  In your example, if the NC was full health, but the Montana was low, definitely shoot the Montana.  Preferably with HE if he is bow on, but if you have AP loaded, shoot for the superstructure, not the hull (unless you're Yamato).  Try to get whatever ships you can off the board as soon as you can, giving your team an advantage.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts

myself if i have a bb in my bow and a cruiser in my broadside at those range

i will manual fire secondary on the bb and use my turrets on the ship in my broadsise

your sides are your weakness

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,300 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

It's simply a matter of making a judgement call of what is likely to help your team more. You will probably do more damage to the more broadside target, unless you can overpen the bow-on ship. At the same time, you have to consider which of the two ships is a greater threat to your team, and which is more capable of disengaging, healing up, and otherwise mitigating your damage. You can also consider using HE against the bow-on target. It's a difficult question with lots of uncertainty, but in all you should be considering what is necessary for your team and for your team to win.

1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

1. What exactly distinguishes "flanking" from "sailing uselessly away from the battle"? How can I ascertain when going off by myself to one side of the battle will help the team rather than hinder it?

'Flanking' for a BB usually consists of setting up a crossfire in conjunction with the other ships on your team. That means putting enemy ships (particularly BBs and CAs) into a position where they find it difficult to quickly reorient their turrets, and where they are forced to show broadside to at least one BB on your team.

Going alone for a BB is almost always a bad idea.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

All advice is welcome.

1: It depends. If that MT is charging in, shooting AP at your turrets and chunking your superstructure, you have to deal with him. If he's just sitting there chucking HE at you every 30 seconds, go and shoot the NC scrub. Basically you need to deal with the bigger threat. You can still do damage to the MT. If NC is giving you the chance to nuke him, and he's a credible threat and the MT can wait, then sure, go ahead and shoot the NC. But if the NC is just back there doing nothing in particular, you have bigger issues. Also, what is your team doing. Does the DD have a torp spread on the MT two CLs are burning him down? Or is the NC broadside to you because he's brawling a GK and being shot at by your Yamato? You have to judge the situation and decide where your salvo will have the most effect on winning the game. However, usually the closer target is the most important, but if a further target gives you an opportunity, take it. Last note, if that MT was a DD you better be shooting at him, I don't care if that NC is flat on and dead stopped. Same with anything with torps.

2: Flanking. Can you shoot at something? Sailing away. "let me sail behind this massive island to try and get behind that cruiser that won't be there by the time I can shoot again." Basically can you still shoot and take part in the battle? If flanking involves taking your guns out of the battle for more than a minute, it's not helping. Remember, even high tier BBs are usually the slowest thing in the game. It's going to take a while to get anywhere. Also, part of your job is to take damage instead of the cruisers and DDs. You're not doing that if you try a long flanking route that takes you out of harms way. Also, do you have time? To get where you're going and then be effective? Will the enemy still be there? Will they see you coming? Probably, you're a BB, stealth isn't your thing. It only takes one cruiser to notice you coming and dump his torpedoes your direction to ruin your brilliant plan. Also, BBs don't work well on their own. Chances are, someone will notice you and your plan is now officially toast. Basically, flanking is best left to DDs and CLs. If the opportunity presents itself, sure, go ahead, but your most useful on the front line, taking fire, dealing damage, and distracting them from that DD that's torping them from the flank.

• Cool 1

[PRI]
[PRI]
Members
16 posts
13,480 battles

A link to the video would help us determine what he ment. If there is one of course.

Edited by Kurok1972