You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

USS Massachusetts, is it worth buying? (review)

6 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,156 posts
4,378 battles

Short answer, you need a Premium T8 US BB? Buy this one. 

Let me start off by saying, I am NOT a fan of the US BB T8 and 9 (NC and Iowa). I feel they can't hit anything past 9 km and their armor is unreliable. I've often missed cruisers due to the shotgun spread at 5km away(shots missing both above and below the ship at the same time...). It wasn't until I got my monty did my faith in the US line return. I even got the Missouri which I hear people rave about how good the shot are. Same story. I miss far too much due to rng in it. So i was VERY skeptical in spending real money for this ship. I also already have an Alabama that I won from Christmas. So needing a US T8 I wasn't. So i went into this ship with very negative expectations.   But what drew me in to buy it? The range on the secondaries. 

I've been an advocate for a very long time that the US BBs need a huge secondaries buff. So when I read that this had nearly the same range as the Bismark, I got sucked in. Let me say, even though the gun range is only 18km, this ship is a lot of fun. I like it a lot better than the NC or the Alabama. In fact, this might make a better ranked ship than the bama. Due to the shorter range of the guns, this ship is a brawler. And thanks for the sec range, it does well at it. Even though I don't need to train any ship captain, I still play this a lot. It's fun, and is what the US line should play like. The only downside I see about this ship besides the poor main gun range, is how fast the secondaries die. IMO they need a buff. I've never been a fan of guns being blown up. I think they should all become disabled and then fixed after a short time, but never completely destroyed. I still have horrible memories of my Beta days where I'd be rolling around in a ship with 0 guns and over 3/4 HP. 

I also love it when a DD gets close and gets spotted. They never expect to see a US BB open up on them like a bismark. Great fun. 

Pros:

• Great secondaries
  • Main gun RNG seems a lot better
  • Same great front armor that the US BB line boosts
  • Good AA

Cons: 

• Short gun range
  • Secondaries die quickly to HE
  • Same bad side armor that the NC has
  • Same slower speed that the NC line has

I still recommend this as a buy. But probably not better than a tirpitz. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

If you need a Tier 8 battleship period... buy this one.   I’d take her over my Tirpitz any day.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts

im seriously considering buying this battleship i have lots of premiums but i.like to play battleships like a battleship so now that i seen several reviews and lots of good feedback

i think.im gonna buy this ship

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,156 posts
4,378 battles
6 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

If you need a Tier 8 battleship period... buy this one.   I’d take her over my Tirpitz any day.

I don't have one so I can't really compare the 2. I just assumed that with the better armor, secondaries and it having torpedoes, that it would be better. 

[4HIM]
Members
1,798 posts
4,058 battles

Dunno. I got the 'Bama during the Xmas sale.  Always wanted it as it was the first BB I ever set foot on.  Also have the Derpitz.  During one of those "Score XX secondary hits" challenges, I took out the Derpitz and did a bunch.  But then I took out the 'Bama and scored even more secondary hits than I had with the Derpitz.  'Bama can brawl.  You just have to stick your nose in there and 

Monsterka-image-monsterka-36605541-500-2

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,242 battles
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Mouse and Lert apparently did ‘secondaries only’ tests with Mammie and Bis-Lo, where the German repeatedly got the sort end of the stick.

I can’t seem to hit worth a flip at longer ranges anyway, so Mammie suits my style better. I can focus secondaries on someone, and main guns on someone else.