Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DWB31976

Smoke glitch???

13 comments in this topic

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,348 battles

So i'm in my Nicholas sitting at cap c on the map.  I have a Danae come up on me and they vanish as soon as my smoke is in full effect about 6km away.  I don't see them all the way up until i'm already shown detected, within 2km.  So even though i'm in smoke they spot me first?  How is this possible?  They were not using smoke at all.  Is this a game bug/glitch?  I don't have video unfortunately.

Members
18,204 posts
5,196 battles

You got hydroed by the sound of it....

Dunno the range of RN hydro off hand, but they definitely would have spotted you first.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

They Disappeared when your smoke took effect You were Solo with no other friendlies that could spot the Danae for you. Hydro was activated and you became a target.

• Cool 1

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,348 battles

Okay, I didn't realize that when I was smoked they'd just disappear like that.  I thought i'd still be able to see them.  What is the point of smoke then if they can see me but I can't see them.  /sarcasm, frustrated.

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,556 battles

They didn't spot you first unless you fired. They spotted you at the same time you spotted them at 2km. You cannot spot through your own smoke, a teammate must spot for you. This is how the game is intended to be, mechanically, and it makes sense.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Technology advances, turns advantage into disadvantage. Smoke these days is primarily for hiding you as you retreat from ships having visual only (mostly BB's except Mo) or providing a smoke wall to again block visual only targeting. Of course, spotter planes can get around that as well. 

Smoke is pretty much dead. 

• Cool 1

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,348 battles

Okay, thanks for your answers, i'm still learning obviously.  It's frustrating though....

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, DWB31976 said:

Okay, I didn't realize that when I was smoked they'd just disappear like that.  I thought i'd still be able to see them.  What is the point of smoke then if they can see me but I can't see them.  /sarcasm, frustrated.

Also, while not usually an issue for destroyers, firing your guns in smoke can reveal you.

• Cool 1

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,348 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Also, while not usually an issue for destroyers, firing your guns in smoke can reveal you.

I was actually not firing, just sitting there wondering why I couldn't see the approaching Danae.

[B2P]
Members
511 posts
13,621 battles
24 minutes ago, DWB31976 said:

Yeah, smoke cuts off vision for you as well.  If you're the only one spotting a ship, then smoking up will not only hide you from them, but hide them from you as well.  If you plan on firing from smoke, you need to make sure someone else is around to spot for you.

• Cool 1

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,348 battles
4 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Yeah, smoke cuts off vision for you as well.  If you're the only one spotting a ship, then smoking up will not only hide you from them, but hide them from you as well.  If you plan on firing from smoke, you need to make sure someone else is around to spot for you.

Yep, that is what I didn't understand, but I do now.  Thanks

[BIAS]
Members
3,144 posts
9,228 battles
1 hour ago, DWB31976 said:

Ok, this might sound crazy but its not. Consumables are not necessarily always for you to take advantage of. They can also be used to the benefit of your team mates.

Smoke up a cruiser and stay out of the smoke and spot targets for him. You have lower concealment than him.

However, random team mates might not think the same as you and totally not use the smoke, I would recommend divisioning with friends and working in coordination doing things like this.

Smoke can be used for many things, concealing other team mates, hiding from getting spotted, using it to break concealment while running away, using it to sit and shoot at spotted enemy ships while remaining unspotted, and using it as a decoy to bait torps and other ships.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this