You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Standard battle and CVs... as a CV.

36 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I've tried to cut the cord with low tier carriers and reached into a couple of strong premium carriers... rolling the dice with the prospect of running into Unicum cv drivers and really just trying to do my best with it. 

I had a roll of probably 8 standard battles back to back and got flattened most of those this morning. 

So it's a safe assumption that I'm a little beyond CV play at higher tiers- I don't have any tech tree CVs in tier 7-8... got Saipan and enterprise and actually thought I'd do reasonably well with them. Wow did I ever [edited] the bed with enterprise today. 

I find I can have more of an impact in domination matches... even in tier 10 matches... but standard battle? Clearly I've been indecisive in battles  

is there something I should be focusing on as a cv in standard battle? Should I be protecting wads of ships or the oddball broken away from the herd? Should I throw my planes up against less than ideal targets in hopes of getting lucky or holding them for the ideal setup? 

I got washed in enterprise today and now I look like a bot or a sync drop account. I'm sorry to anyone i impacted with my terrible play this morning but I did my best. "Sometimes doing your best isn't good enough... sometimes we must do what is required ..." Winston Churchill  

Edited by _ENO_

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Up to you on how you play. I play no different from Standard than Domination. My tactics and maybe videos are in my signature.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,019 posts
8,259 battles

I basically spotted, especially DDs, and ask teammates to focus them down. Just keep the spotting within range of your teammates' weaponry.

When seen chance, make a bombing run on viable targets for alpha damage or to weaken so teammates can finish them off.

If see no red planes after 3 minutes it's probably a CV snipe coming your way.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles

Get about 30 battles each in on Co-Op to get the feel of the torpedo drops and AP bombs of the Big E.

Concentrate on one since the manual drops are different between them.

You will learn a lot of other lessons along the way, like positioning and spotting.

Also learn the AA characteristics of EVERY ship in the game.

Your battle begins at the load screen as you take careful note of the opposing team AA numbers.  Hurry!!  You only have a few seconds.

Keep the 'M' map up most of the time, and only zoom in when you are ready to manual drop.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
3 minutes ago, Reymu said:

This is valuable info for all cv drivers and is unquestionably accurate. Anticipate this from 30%wr carriers... but not me. I'm a victim by association.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Keep the 'M' map up most of the time, and only zoom in when you are ready to manual drop.

What's popular opinion on driving from the map? I still drive by the main screen in tandem with the minimap- as big as I can make it. Is the main map the better option?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, _ENO_ said:

What's popular opinion on driving from the map? I still drive by the main screen in tandem with the minimap- as big as I can make it. Is the main map the better option?

Use both. I want to say that at the beginning of a battle I will use the map to set my way points. Afterwards I am just on the regular map.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles
6 minutes ago, Reymu said:

I basically spotted, especially DDs, and ask teammates to focus them down. Just keep the spotting within range of your teammates' weaponry.

When seen chance, make a bombing run on viable targets for alpha damage or to weaken so teammates can finish them off.

If I see no enemy planes after 3 minutes...   then the other CV op has LOST it for the other team.

That's valuable time I've been spotting enemy ships and my team has valuable intel and a big chunk of kills.

And my CV is never sitting still.  I'm moving it to where the battle line is strongest, and at full throttle.

I simply love fools like that.  Makes the day easy. 

And if the planes all attack, you have a 'T' button.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,972 battles

I don't know why you thought buying your way to mid/high-tier CVs was a good idea, but now you've got a choice to make:

1. Keep using your premiums and hope you'll learn through brute force

2. Go back to low-tier CVs and progress normally (experiencing the steep learning curve at T6), then come back to your premiums

3. Go back to low-tier CVs and never leave (people do sealclub down there even with no manual attacks)

4. Stop playing CVs

All of them have good arguments to be made, but if you choose either of the first two then I and others can give you some pointers.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, Flashtirade said:

I don't know why you thought buying your way to mid/high-tier CVs was a good idea, but now you've got a choice to make:

2. Go back to low-tier CVs and progress normally (experiencing the steep learning curve at T6), then come back to your premiums

3. Go back to low-tier CVs and never leave (people do sealclub down there even with no manual attacks)

4. Stop playing CVs

All of them have good arguments to be made, but if you choose either of the first two then I and others can give you some pointers.

If he can do a trial by fire and learn quickly he is set. If he can't, he will just hurt the team and get reported a lot.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,972 battles
Just now, Vangm94 said:

If he can do a trial by fire and learn quickly he is set. If he can't, he will just hurt the team and get reported a lot.

Either 1 or 2 is going to be painful no matter what, I'm just saying that if he wants to continue to play those premiums he's going to have to climb that wall somehow.

To OP: players in domination battles will have to push for objectives eventually, which could expose weaknesses in their positions. Standard battles, especially at high tiers, can be quite campy; you may have to wait longer or search harder for any openings.

[RLGN]
Members
8,265 posts
17,285 battles

Or just play in Co-op.

This year or next the rework will completely screw over current carrier drivers anyway, so no need to get worked up about them.

Carriers are in the same situation as Tanks right now. A core of hyper experienced drivers who basically make it impossible for newer players to break in, (to the game itself in Tanks, to the mid-upper tiers in carriers.)

Just stay in lower tiers or Co-op and let the unicums play with each other.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
2 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Either 1 or 2 is going to be painful no matter what, I'm just saying that if he wants to continue to play those premiums he's going to have to climb that wall somehow.

To OP: players in domination battles will have to push for objectives eventually, which could expose weaknesses in their positions. Standard battles, especially at high tiers, can be quite campy; you may have to wait longer or search harder for any openings.

CVs can do everything and anything. Not many players do that. Your eyes are the fleets eyes OP. If you can utilize that, you can change the outcome of any game. If you can't and you only attack, attack, attack, your effectiveness is brought down a lot.

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,807 battles
29 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Up to you on how you play. I play no different from Standard than Domination. My tactics and maybe videos are in my signature.

I do not want to come off too strong, but this is pretty poor advice for somebody looking to improve. If any player enters a game and plays the same way regardless of situation, they will not only lack success, but they will frustrate their teams greatly.

Every player should play their ship differently based on many external factors. Map selection, team composition, enemy composition, game mode...

My advice: Each game is different. Each game is a test of how you can adapt to the given situation. "How you play" is rarely just up to the individual player (of any ship). The better players need to assess the situation and adapt to the circumstances. Be defensive when the situation calls for it... Be aggressive when the situation calls for it... Do not go into a game with a "I'll play the same way" mindset, use the loading time and early game as a moment to assess the situation before making your first move.

Happy hunting!

Edited by _Big_Lou_

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
6 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

I do not want to come off too strong, but this is pretty poor advice for somebody looking to improve. If any player enters a game and plays the same way regardless of situation, they will not only lack success, but they will frustrate their teams greatly.

Every player should play their ship differently based on many external factors. Map selection, team composition, enemy composition, game mode...

My advice: Each game is different. Each game is a test of how you can adapt to the given situation. "How you play" is rarely just up to the individual player (of any ship). The better players need to assess the situation and adapt to the circumstances. Be defensive when the situation calls for it... Be aggressive when the situation calls for it... Do not go into a game with a "I'll play the same way" mindset, use the loading time and early game as a moment to assess the situation before making your first move.

Happy hunting!

My tactics show how I play. I always have high expectations so I will constantly mock.... give them advice on what they should be doing. Whether they want to listen to what I have to say or keep on playing horrible is up to them. The ones who do take my advise, I give them a compliment and tell them that if they keep playing good, they will become good. The ones who won't, they just end up sunk or leaving the team blind.

Edited by Vangm94

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Move your ship to where you want it and then hit Q or E and let it circle, that way your already at speed if you have to move, and make it harder for a sneaky dd to torp you from range

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
2 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Move your ship to where you want it and then hit Q or E and let it circle, that way your already at speed if you have to move, and make it harder for a sneaky dd to torp you from range

That was one method I used to use. Then I eventually learned I rather be as close as possible to the front while having my dive bombers scout the enemy instead of having the enemy find me then have my torpedoes sink them.

Scout fast, move fast, attack fast, rearm fast, cap fast, 

Edited by Vangm94

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles

I knew I wasn't very good with CV's and I made the mistake of picking up the Ryujo for a plane mission. The jump in micromanaging coming from the Zuiho was insane and of course it was a tier 8 match, I got my rear handed to me on a platter, lost the match, and made eleven enemies for my trouble. I will not bring a CV into random again until the revamp hits and maybe not even then. It is the co-op life for my CV's for the foreseeable future.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

I knew I wasn't very good with CV's and I made the mistake of picking up the Ryujo for a plane mission. The jump in micromanaging coming from the Zuiho was insane and of course it was a tier 8 match, I got my rear handed to me on a platter, lost the match, and made eleven enemies for my trouble. I will not bring a CV into random again until the revamp hits and maybe not even then. It is the co-op life for my CV's for the foreseeable future.

Given that the revamp is gonna be "action-based", it's hard to see anything good coming from it until we see videos. The reason I don't play Hiryu or any IJN CV higher (other than Kaga) is because at max, my hand can only control six keys. Boat, Fighter, Bomber, Bomber, Bomber, Bomber. If I even try to control seven, I already lost what I was doing.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
470 posts

try to kill enemy dd At the start

dont bother protecting your team every ship in the game has ridiculous aa now they dont need your help dont let them convince you otherwise

with your strike planes go for isolated targets or the enemy cv dont fly into a wall of overpowered aa ships 

use your fighters to protect your planes and your cv

when your out of planes try to cap something

after a few frustrating match go play your dd bb and ca

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, iamplaya said:

try to kill enemy dd At the start

dont bother protecting your team every ship in the game has ridiculous aa now they dont need your help dont let them convince you otherwise

with your strike planes go for isolated targets or the enemy cv dont fly into a wall of overpowered aa ships 

use your fighters to protect your planes and your cv

when your out of planes try to cap something

after a few frustrating match go play your dd bb and ca

• If you learn how to sink DDs, sink them, if not, don't waste time and hit a target you can hit
  • If you can, protect your team, if you can, protect one side, if you can, do what you can
  • Hit the easy targets, don't go for groups
  • Protect yourself, protect your bombers
  • You're in a Enterprise, I don't see that capping anything anytime soon, being a decoy may be worth it

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
470 posts
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:
  • If you learn how to sink DDs, sink them, if not, don't waste time and hit a target you can hit
  • If you can, protect your team, if you can, protect one side, if you can, do what you can
  • Hit the easy targets, don't go for groups
  • Protect yourself, protect your bombers
  • You're in a Enterprise, I don't see that capping anything anytime soon, being a decoy may be worth it

na dont waste your time protecting your team they dont need it protect your strike planes

there is no target you can hit other then dd....if your playing usn tech three...unless they are crappy players that dont know how to counter your planes

but you shouldnt bank on that

go for dd or the enemy cv thats the best strategie

and yes move to cap once your cv planes are crippled and if your usn vs ijn you are gonna be cripple garanteed ...unless your playing against a newb

dont bank on that

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles
25 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Given that the revamp is gonna be "action-based", it's hard to see anything good coming from it until we see videos. The reason I don't play Hiryu or any IJN CV higher (other than Kaga) is because at max, my hand can only control six keys. Boat, Fighter, Bomber, Bomber, Bomber, Bomber. If I even try to control seven, I already lost what I was doing.

Yeah, videos and even better some hands on time on the PT. They had to do something with them though as they were/are badly broken and were dying with few people staying with them beyond tier 6. All we do know is the current CV players that are any good won't like it and it seems that non-CV players will. If it doesn't work they should throw in the towel on them and get rid of them giving anyone that has a premium CV their choice of doubloons, any other premium ship, or cash.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles
2 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

On the 'M' map, I can target ships, and even adjust auto-drops...  all you need for the Tier 5 and 4 CVs.

The main advantage is that the CV has a unique view of the entire battle.  You can count the enemy ships and send planes where you suspect the missing ones are.

Co-Op also has the advantage that you know what you are going to be facing on the enemy team...   No Graf Zeppelins will be popping up.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
16 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

2 is probably the "right" way to go about it... To be honest I just bought the CVs because I wanted them moreso than to play them- but as you've mentioned I spent a bit of time with 4-5 and had a real issue committing to the manual drops. I skipped 6 into 7 since Saipan is... let's say a little more forgiving and also has the AS option that, while less valuable to the team from a damage perspective does provide you with the ability to practice strafing a lot. Then you can migrate to the 2F-2T where you can start working on your manual torp drops. 

But obviously this hasn't worked out for me as well as I'd planned since I'm getting mopped up.

What you've said does make sense- I really should spend a little more time in Tier 6. I'll transfer my Bogue captain to Inde instead and work him up that way. 

15 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I started maneuvering pretty early on in my CV career so I have learned to be reasonably good at sticking with the fleet- especially once you can do more than 20 knots. I tend to set my initial waypoints (on the minimap though, not on the main map) towards the area with more ships and leave it at half speed until the dispersion of ships settles out to meet how the battle is shaping up. Then I'll finalize my waypoints and crank it up to top speed- If there's an opportunity to set up behind an island close to the front then I will but I'm still a little edgy on committing too far forward- especially with a bunch of DDs. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1