You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
drakoolia

Night battles mode in Random battles

Night Mode in Random/Ranked/Co-op/clan battles?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should WG employ night mode in Random/co-op/ranked/clan battles mode

39 comments in this topic

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles

The time has come for me to get a consensus on a topic I'm sure is @ the forefront of everybody's mind.

Who would like to see Night mode in Random/co-op/ranked/clan battles as they function in operations?

I personally love the idea of the cherry blossom bombs lighting up parts of the map..then going dark the way it does..then back to light. This could work in reverse as well...day to night..to cherry blossom bombs. Would certainly make things interesting, and could happen randomly..the way cyclones do.

• Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
Just now, drakoolia said:

The time has come for me to get a consensus on a topic I'm sure is @ the forefront of everybody's mind.

Who would like to see Night mode in Random/co-op/ranked/clan battles as they function in operations?

I personally love the idea of the cherry blossom bombs lighting up parts of the map..then going dark the way it does..then back to light. This could work in reverse as well...day to night..to cherry blossom bombs. Would certainly make things interesting, and could happen randomly..the way cyclones do.

Yes please, but DARN IT, MAKE IT DARKER! Right now it's just past dusk(sundown). It really should be almost pitch-black, and your spotlights should be able to get involved.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,855 posts
12,594 battles

@drakoolia The night operation in play currently may well be to give us a hint that Night Battles will be added to the rotations. As far as spot lights go I suppose they could have a beam shine from and move with the turrets and torpedo mounts. Or an automatic star shell function firing out to your view area and weapons current range. Send your post to the WG developers!

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I enjoy night battles but it would also be a broken mode if implemented now. Radar-meta would increase much more because not all ships have radar and flares would need to be added to the game for those ships. Those ships being IJN but even just adding flares would pose a problem because... they are flares and you can avoid them unlike radar. The game is about balance even if some people deny that it exist. I can see night battle being in random just not now. It is best for now as just an operation.

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,206 battles

I would be on board with it. A few adjustments probably need to be made, but I'd be ok with a night battle in the map rotations. Why leave it in just the one operation?

21 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I enjoy night battles but it would also be a broken mode if implemented now. Radar-meta would increase much more because not all ships have radar and flares would need to be added to the game for those ships. Those ships being IJN but even just adding flares would pose a problem because... they are flares and you can avoid them unlike radar. The game is about balance even if some people deny that it exist. I can see night battle being in random just not now. It is best for now as just an operation.

I agree a bit here. Radar would probably be the main issue. I hope it can be addressed later though. We all know it could use some work.

Edited by Halonut24

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,157 battles

No bacon choice? What kinda poll is this?

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
21 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Somebody recently mentioned a spotlight..that can shine off a lighthouse offshore..or a floating installation that floats about shining light on random ships in a circular manner.

The cherry blossom flares would not come from ships directly..but would seemingly randomly fall from the sky as in current operations....

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
5 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

No bacon choice? What kinda poll is this?

Dammit..I knew I forgot to add something......uggggg

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, drakoolia said:

Somebody recently mentioned a spotlight..that can shine off a lighthouse offshore..or a floating installation that floats about shining light on random ships in a circular manner.

The cherry blossom flares would not come from ships directly..but would seemingly randomly fall from the sky as in current operations....

Radar-meta will still be overwhelming if other non-radar ships (IJN) cannot use flares as they want to. Just like the OP, anyone with radar will just avoid the flares. And much like the multiple battles of the time, using a spotlight would just mean we would all shoot at it.

[BLUMR]
Members
216 posts
2,837 battles

I don't think we need more gimmicks to add to the "whoops, looks like I rolled the wrong map" queue. For missions it's cool. For randoms where it takes my ship hostage until the battle ends, not so much. We already have typhoons, which can be extremely tilting when you don't queue a ship that deals with them. More stuff that takes the power of how well you do away from how well you play and leaves it to the dice gods is not a good idea. You want some of that to keep things interesting, but not so much the game turns into Yahtzee with boats.

• Cool 1

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

Radar-meta will still be overwhelming if other non-radar ships (IJN) cannot use flares as they want to. Just like the OP, anyone with radar will just avoid the flares. And much like the multiple battles of the time, using a spotlight would just mean we would all shoot at it.

The Flares would seemingly come out of nowhere...meaning it would appear above random spots on the map, there bye revealing ships which use radar, and so they wouldn't have an advantage with detectability.

This brings up another good point..if the flares were to come from ships.....should only IJN ships  have flare ability..so its closer to historic accuracy....Make it another special trait of the Japanese line.

On the Spotlight from shore issue...should it be destructible....well I would always say yes to that....:-p

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, drakoolia said:

The Flares would seemingly come out of nowhere...meaning it would appear above random spots on the map, there bye revealing ships which use radar, and so they wouldn't have an advantage with detectability.

This brings up another good point..if the flares were to come from ships.....should only IJN ships  have flare ability..so its closer to historic accuracy....Make it another special trait of the Japanese line.

On the Spotlight from shore issue...should it be destructible....well I would always say yes to that....:-p

If the flares were random, they would not be that effective compared to player launched flares. The framework is there, there is just a lot of balance changes that would have to happen and this also would mean parts of the main game would have to be changed. 

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 hour ago, drakoolia said:

Patience. Its coming.  Patience.

Patience Virtue GIF - Patience Virtue Mummy GIFs

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
9 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

I don't think we need more gimmicks to add to the "whoops, looks like I rolled the wrong map" queue. For missions it's cool. For randoms where it takes my ship hostage until the battle ends, not so much. We already have typhoons, which can be extremely tilting when you don't queue a ship that deals with them. More stuff that takes the power of how well you do away from how well you play and leaves it to the dice gods is not a good idea. You want some of that to keep things interesting, but not so much the game turns into Yahtzee with boats.

To me new features aren't gimmicks..they add interesting new challenges the player has to deal with. There is no mode, or weather variant which takes your ship hostage. IT merely levels the playing field in the middle of the match. I posted about this before. Without midmatch game altering weather phenomena..the masters of this game will stay the masters..and will dictate how and when that happens. But this way, with weather/light/detection modifications midgame..it throws a monkey wrench into the game of those that have mastered it..or arent Unicum...and enters variables of an unknown factor..which makes it more interesting and less stagnant. Ive been starting to yawn @ current game mechanics...

The whole point is to throw things off kilter..and allow masters of variability to shine through,...as opposed to masters of lather..rinse..repeat mechanics which are Too predictable...

Edited by drakoolia
  • Cool 1

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
9 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

If the flares were random, they would not be that effective compared to player launched flares. The framework is there, there is just a lot of balance changes that would have to happen and this also would mean parts of the main game would have to be changed. 

Player launched flares would denote another player controlled mechanic one could master..and be better then someone else @.

The point to computer generated randomly dropped flares..would it would be a mastering leveling variable..even the best players couldnt escape from , and wouldnt be able to neccessarily tie it into a well planend out avalanche of attack upon others.

[BLUMR]
Members
216 posts
2,837 battles
8 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

To me new features aren't gimmicks..they add interesting new challenges the player has to deal with. There is no mode, or weather variant which takes your ship hostage. IT merely levels the playing field in the middle of the match. I posted about this before. Without midmatch game altering weather phenomena..the masters of this game will stay the masters..and will dictate how and when that happens. But this way, with weather/light/detection modifications midgame..it throws a monkey wrench into the game of those that have mastered it..or arent Unicum...and enters variables of an unknown factor..which makes it more interesting and less stagnant. Ive been starting to yawn @ current game mechanics...

The whole point is to throw things off kilter..and allow masters of variability to shine through,...as opposed to masters of lather..rinse..repeat mechanics which are Too predictable...

The problem with this is that not all ships can physically do this. Take the Donskoi or Schors for example. If they get typhooned on it's just not going to be a great game. They do one thing, and that's ranged HE play. When the game FORCES you to close to 8km to do your job, it's near impossible to play around that.

Likewise with DDs. If your key advantage is a large concealment gap and the game forces you into ranges where it's hard to use that (not to mention doesn't let you spot for your team), it's not your fault, and frequently it's not something you can play around well. You just can't do as well because you didn't queue the right ship.

Id argue it's a gimmick like typhoons are a gimmick and ocean map is a gimmick and detonations are a gimmick. They aren't predictable, and they don't come up enough. Typhoons are on the edge of a main game mechanic out of those 3.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
2 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

The problem with this is that not all ships can physically do this. Take the Donskoi or Schors for example. If they get typhooned on it's just not going to be a great game. They do one thing, and that's ranged HE play. When the game FORCES you to close to 8km to do your job, it's near impossible to play around that.

Likewise with DDs. If your key advantage is a large concealment gap and the game forces you into ranges where it's hard to use that (not to mention doesn't let you spot for your team), it's not your fault, and frequently it's not something you can play around well. You just can't do as well because you didn't queue the right ship.

Id argue it's a gimmick like typhoons are a gimmick and ocean map is a gimmick and detonations are a gimmick. They aren't predictable, and they don't come up enough. Typhoons are on the edge of a main game mechanic out of those 3.

drakoolia already understands that with Radar vs IJN.

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
9 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

You just proved my point completely without even knowing it. You are obviously trying to control and master everything. This starts to create large differences in skill amongst player population. But if you throw in unpredictability, it gives a whole team amazing abilities to do a comeback. With skill..with Luck...you name it. Midgame you will have to change game styles..and ADAPT. I mean seriously..how many FLAMU's do we need playhing this game. Can you imagine 15 flamus all doing the rational/best angle/best shell type/best tactic against each other? You might as well watch bots fighting each other..sNOOZERS..THIS is my whole point.

Edited by drakoolia
  • Cool 1

Members
333 posts
3,410 battles

I can see ships using flares to block passage through channels, or into specific areas of the map, similar to how some ships use torps now, you would just save your torps until the enemy ships were spotted.  So I vote for ship controllable flares.

How about we also let them be dropped from planes, would be a new use of spotter planes!  When your plane spots a red ship, it fires off or drops a flare!  It would really make those dual spotter planes more useful on a night map (if it could find anything).

• Cool 2

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
2 minutes ago, 1dennistt said:

I can see ships using flares to block passage through channels, or into specific areas of the map, similar to how some ships use torps now, you would just save your torps until the enemy ships were spotted.  So I vote for ship controllable flares.

How about we also let them be dropped from planes, would be a new use of spotter planes!  When your plane spots a red ship, it fires off or drops a flare!  It would really make those dual spotter planes more useful on a night map (if it could find anything).

WOW..what a tremendous IDEA...Love it..its got my vote!

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

I'm down with spotlight that move with your cursor, they already have the fire-control modules move with the turrets. Could lead to some intense moments for DDs watching the spotlights barely miss them. That's another thing, the spotlights could be toggled by the player, as using them should give your position away to a certain degree.

• Cool 1

[IRISH]
Members
363 posts
7,192 battles
16 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

I'm down with spotlight that move with your cursor, they already have the fire-control modules move with the turrets. Could lead to some intense moments for DDs watching the spotlights barely miss them. That's another thing, the spotlights could be toggled by the player, as using them should give your position away to a certain degree.

Yes maybe increases your ability to see superhard to detect DD's @ night..but also gives you away momentarily..until you toggle it off...Excellent...You would just see quick silhouette of a torpedo...or the back end of a DD..or suddenly a holyshit moment with a BB staring straight up @ U...:-p

Edited by drakoolia

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles
9 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

Yes maybe increases your ability to see superhard to detect DD's @ night..but also gives you away momentarily..until you toggle it off...Excellent...You would just see q quick silhouette of a torpedo...or the back end of a DD..or suddenly a holyshit moment with a BB staring straight up @ U...:-p

finally.

[BLUMR]
Members
216 posts
2,837 battles
44 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

You just proved my point completely without even knowing it. You are obviously trying to control and master everything. This starts to create large differences in skill amongst player population. But if you throw in unpredictability, it gives a whole team amazing abilities to do a comeback. With skill..with Luck...you name it. Midgame you will have to change game styles..and ADAPT. I mean seriously..how many FLAMU's do we need playhing this game. Can you imagine 15 flamus all doing the rational/best angle/best shell type/best tactic against each other? You might as well watch bots fighting each other..sNOOZERS..THIS is my whole point.

Ok, but then what's the point of putting in effort to get good at the game? I know you aren't arguing for a literal coin toss midway through that dictates the game result, but you have to allow for a player to "git gud" at the same time. Too many gimmicks and you'll see the result isn't increased variability of play, but decreased variability as the remaining high level players circle the wagons on THE ship or class that still retains the ability to influence the game, if they don't abandons ship outright. If say 1/4 of your DD games are outright uninfluential because of random flares, or weather patterns (a large percentage to make the point clear), but only 1/8 of your BB games are low influence games, why play DD? You would have to make the rest of those 3/4 games SO much easier to win to make it worth it. And now you've got yourself a coin toss ship that pleases no one. People will be frustrated that 1/4 of the games they play they have their mouse metaphorically thrust out from under them, and others frustrated that the other 3/4 of the games are nothing but who's DD players won the game for them. Just take a look at WoT and light tanks.

This is one of the reasons you need to carefully manage the levels of RNG in a game. Big no-nos in general are anything that causes a MASSIVE irregular swing in games. Like night battles. I don't trust WG to retool their game enough to make it work. Don't punish players for playing to a high level by designing a skill ceiling that arbitrarily decides it's not your turn to win every couple games. Don't rock-paper-scissor-ify the game where you feel really powerful against a team of X, but powerless against a team of Y, and can't realistically determine which road you go down. Add enough RNG that things stay freshish, and make slight meta adjustments like they (sorta) have been that throw high level play for a loop every once in a while, but don't punish players for not investing in ship of the day. 

[B_Y_F]
Members
97 posts
5,884 battles

night battles have lots of fun....so definitely yes.

As a player come from a game that had night battle. I'll say just give everyone some flares and you'll be surprised by how fast people learn new tricks.