You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Indianapolis - Is there a way to play this G-d awful ship?

73 comments in this topic

Members
1,576 posts
9,998 battles

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't pay for this POS.  There is no safe angle to play this ship, no safe distance. 

Has anyone had any luck surviving more than 5 minutes? If so, what's the secret because I think it's going into cold storage alone with some other useless freebee prems. 

Members
471 posts
12,478 battles

They gave it away for free.

This should tell you all you need to know.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

Put a more juicy green team member between you and the reds, hide behind an island, conserve your health then race out at the end and kill all low health people.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,742 posts
3,490 battles

You know I admit that I'm crazy for playing her, and routinely rant about how deficient she is right? The New Orleans at Tier 7 is literally better in every possible way except for having a awful Radar.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,518 battles

She's really not all that bad.

In the two battles I have played in her, survived one, didn't the other. Averaged 50k in damage.

The key is placement, being close enough to support the DDs capping, while still maintaining an angle to BBs, or even an island as cover.

Also having a team that is not a vegetable helps as well. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,416 posts
9,575 battles

Challenging ship is challenging.  Sometimes I want to play an OP ship, sometimes a decent one, and sometimes I even want to play a challenging one.

It does feel good when you end up at the top of your team's leader board with one. 

It is magical when you can do it when bottom tier.  With Indianapolis I have done that once.  I should have gotten a 1,000 doubloon reward or something.

Members
1,459 posts
12,332 battles

Great ship.... as long as no one shoots at you- only way to be successful for me is to hide or snipe from long range... and hope to be high tier....

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,332 battles
31 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Has anyone had any luck surviving more than 5 minutes? If so, what's the secret because I think it's going into cold storage alone with some other useless freebee prems. 

Use island cover. Race up to an island near a cap but make sure you can fire over it. Retreat straight back if you are getting overrun. If you can advance, do it by island hoping from behind one rock to behind the next one. Cross open distances while you are undetected.

If you roll a map with no islands stay at max range and try to dodge incoming fire and stop firing to go undetected again so you can reposition. Try to support your team against their weaker flank to reduce the number of reds pointing their guns at you.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,742 posts
3,490 battles

I think she would be a lot more enjoyable if she had some way to compensate for her awful survival. Her Radar essentially pushes her in closer, which is not where she likes to operate from unless she's behind an island. Even then though, her Radar isn't particularly useful without a lot of help from your team do secure the kill. In Random's that's generally asking a bit much unless the DD is providing a very blatant immediate threat to your ships in the area.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,871 posts
12,622 battles

Practice practice practice in co op!

[TASH]
Members
1,766 posts
4,002 battles

Tier 7 Pensacola really treated me well so Indianapolis has been pretty good for me.  

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,329 battles
5 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

I think she would be a lot more enjoyable if she had some way to compensate for her awful survival. Her Radar essentially pushes her in closer, which is not where she likes to operate from unless she's behind an island. Even then though, her Radar isn't particularly useful without a lot of help from your team do secure the kill. In Random's that's generally asking a bit much unless the DD is providing a very blatant immediate threat to your ships in the area.

I’d trade her radar for a heal tbh. Though I think she could use a reload buff too.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,742 posts
3,490 battles
Just now, Usedcarjock said:

I’d trade her radar for a heal tbh. Though I think she could use a reload buff too.

You mean like something common sense like having the same reload rate as the New Orleans instead of the most arbitrary reload rate in the game of 14.3 seconds? :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles
32 minutes ago, Prothall said:

They gave it away for free.

This should tell you all you need to know.

they gave Aigle away for free, and that is not a god awful ship.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
441 posts
18,721 battles

played a few rounds and sold it. 

I wish there was a button where I could have just watched it sink in my harbor.  

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,769 battles

If you want to learn to be really good in cruisers, play the Indi.

It basically requires you to play at an incredibly high level the entire time and punishes your mistakes. It has all the cruiser weaknesses and nearly the only strength is its guns hit hard (but are gimped by slow reload, so you have to take only good shots).

If you don't want this "experience" and teachable moment, play a different ship. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles

I've found she's better since the recent buff.

Thank god though I got her free in something a long time ago.  Definitely not a ship I would pay money for.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,415 battles

I actually like the Indy >.>

Yeah it's frustrating to eat random cits or not really be able to angle at all, but that's cruiser life for the most part, especially below T9.  I just play it like a mix of the Buffalo and Des Moines.  Better reload would be really nice, maybe 10 or 12s instead of 14.3.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,329 battles
13 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

You mean like something common sense like having the same reload rate as the New Orleans instead of the most arbitrary reload rate in the game of 14.3 seconds? :Smile-_tongue:

Why was the reload so long again? Is it because WG is too afraid of the radar? 

[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles

LOL, she is one of my highest WR ship, 61.9% @ 63 battles, had been running about 70% until the last 10 or 15 battles during this event.  I kite with her like the old Cleveland, try to always keep moving, and pay a lot of attention to the minimal to go after reds “appropriately”.  As with any ship, it all depends on if your play style matches how she wants to be played.  Along with that, Indy pretty much requires your A-game when you play her - there never is an easy mode as far as I can tell.Not sure if you notice how high hers stats were until this giveaway, so there are other players doing well with her.  She has so few battles that her WR has plummeted and she has slipped (quite a bit) from the top five.  That’s actually good because other players will learn not to fear my Indy and leave me alone to demolish them...

Edited by ExploratorOne

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,032 battles
12 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

I wish there was a button where I could have just watched it sink in my harbor.  

One request for toilet-bowl port mod with flushing animation.  Check.

• Funny 1