You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog - ST Balanace changes IJN and German BBs

72 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,525 posts
7,588 battles

ST. Balance changes. Japanese and German battleships.

Japanese battleship Izumo:
The thickness of the upper deck armour plating is increased from 32 mm to 57 mm;
Surface Detectability Range reduced from 19.26 to 17.19 km;
Surface Detectability Range after shooting from smoke is reduced from 19.21 to 16.8 km.
The changes will allow the battleship to receive less damage from the enemy cruisers' HE shells, and the change in the visibility puts her in line with that of other tier IX battleships. It will also increase the average life time and combat efficiency of the ship.

Japanese battleship Yamato:
The speed of rotation of the Main Battery is increased from 2.5 to 3.0 g / s to increase the level of comfort of the game on the ship.

Japanese battleship Ashitaka:
AP shells was replaced with a shell with the following characteristics:
Initial speed: 806 m / s instead of 790 m / s;
Damage: 12 600 instead of 12 400.
Thus, the battleship can better combine high speed and effective armament. The ship will have a volley from the battleship Amagi, whilst staying inferior to it in armour.

Japanese battleship Kawachi:
In the hull (A) the reload time of the Main Battery is reduced from 33 to 30 s.

Japanese battleship Myogi:
A Hull: the reload time of the Main Battery is reduced from 33 to 30 s;
A Hull: rotation speed of the Main Battery is increased from 3.0 to 4.0 g / s;
The sigma parameter is increased from 1.8 to 2.0.
Thus, Kawachi and Myogi will become more comfortable ships during the progression from the base to the top state of the ship. The change in sigma will compensate for the small number of shells in the volley.

German battleship Nassau:
Reload time of the Main Battery has increased from 22.2 to 26 s
Reduced the number of charges of consumable "Repair Party" from 3 (4 for Repair Party II) to 2 (3).
The ship showed high efficiency at her tier and the corrections should lead it to balance with other ships at her tier. Reducing the number of charges of this consumable will increase the effectiveness of experienced and novice players on the ship.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

CF3E6D31-DB4B-403C-9145-8775DD83950D.jpeg

• Cool 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

Izumo. Finally!!! A decent duff! Now players can deal decent damage before the ship gets burnt down.

For Yamato, thank the Lord. Nothing too special but I will take it.

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles

Well that’s 1/2 underperforming Tier IX BBs accounted for. Now we just need to take a look at ze Germans.

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,442 battles

I like the concealment buff on the Izumo.  Wouldn't have minded a smaller buff to the deck armor and making that janky 3rd turret function like the Nelson's 3rd turret, but that probably would have taken more time and resources than they wanted to spend on it so I understand at least.  Either way, I'll take it, I didn't hate the Izumo in the first place and it's on my buy-back list.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing something done with the FDG either, it's the one battleship I've just never been able to get a feel for.

Edited by Deviathan

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

Why the major Nassau nerf? Bellerophon is a way better/MUCH MORE OP ship than Nassau. It's more that the two oldest(South Carolina and Kawachi) are far behind the times and are majorly UP. Even Turenne is better.

Members
1,156 posts
3,146 battles
33 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

The thickness of the upper deck armour plating is increased from 32 mm to 57 mm;
Surface Detectability Range after shooting from smoke is reduced from 19.21 to 16.8 km.
The changes will allow the battleship to receive less damage from the enemy cruisers' HE shells, and the change in the visibility puts her in line with that of other tier IX battleships. It will also increase the average life time and combat efficiency of the ship.

After years of waiting, we FINALLY get the Izumo buff we have been waiting for. It's not too much and won't make the ship overpowered, but it's a welcome change. The Yamato turret traverse buff is very nice, especially for those using the legendary module. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles

Why the nerf to Nassau?  ?

When I think of OP ships in this game, Nassau was nowhere on that list.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles
30 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

I like the concealment buff on the Izumo.  Wouldn't have minded a smaller buff to the deck armor and making that janky 3rd turret function like the Nelson's 3rd turret, but that probably would have taken more time and resources than they wanted to spend on it so I understand at least.  Either way, I'll take it, I didn't hate the Izumo in the first place and it's on my buy-back list.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing something done with the FDG either, it's the one battleship I've just never been able to get a feel for.

IMO Freddy's big issue is that to keep Scharhorst/Bis/Tirp balanced they had to give the 105mm guns 1/6 pen. If they had 26mm base pen she'd be a lot more dangerous.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

Wow that Izumo buff is pretty nice. Going to make the grind through her MUCH better. The help against HE is nice, but that concealment buff was even more needed.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Wow that Izumo buff is pretty nice. Going to make the grind through her MUCH better. The help against HE is nice, but that concealment buff was even more needed.

it's funny, yuh know? Both of the underpowered ships which badly needed concealment buffs(Izumo and Emerald) have had those exact buffs announced for them in quick succession. What's next?

Alpha Tester
1,969 posts
1 hour ago, renegadestatuz said:

WG finally showing some love to the long neglected Izumo? What sorcery is this?! :cap_wander:

• Funny 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,001 posts
5,978 battles

I wonder how certain parties will twist these obvious buffs as nerfs.

• Funny 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles

Gneisenau should definitely get Hydro to make up for this nerf to Nassau.  Without this buff, the whole line becomes unplayable!!!!!

• Funny 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

I wonder what's brought on the sudden rush of balancing changes? Not that I'm against all of them; some of them were long overdue. But I do wonder if hell has frozen over; since that was about when any of us expected that Izumo of all ships, would get buffed at all.

Regardless, I feel the buff to Izumo is sufficient enough to tide us over until WG gives the IJN BBs a more thorough pass and a split alongside it. Octavian did mention in a Q&A not long ago that they would like to redo Izumo from the ground up using lessons learned since then, but simply don't have the time or resources to dedicate to it at all this year.

The Yamato traverse buff is also nice, though I'm curious as to why they still don't want to give her her last bit of missing AA. It's not going to push her into Montana territory by any means. On the other end, I can't complain as much about the artificial RN BB traverse buffs as much now since Yamato also got one. And on a more personal note, I'm conflicted between wanting this buff or having them instead restore the old super heal and a bit of maneuverability instead. Then again, it's possible either may happen in the future after the Italian and Russian BB lines, as Yamato still is the only T10 BB left with a high citadel, and it's unlikely the Italians or Russians would get one unless WG wanted to give them a weakness in that respect (I'm going with the assumption that Roma's high citadel may or may not be representative of the Italian BB line later on).

Loving the changes to Myogi; now my Myogi can be a little sniper pain-in-the-aft instead of a guided torpedo.

Still wishing they just canned the current Ashitaka though. Moreso since they're trying to salvage her by giving her Nagato's upgraded shells or some close equivalent so that she's just a little less Ashittyaka.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,038 posts
8,290 battles

Interesting. They're making Izumo survive a little easier. But no change to the horrid MB accuracy? That is my chief complaint from when I endured her.

Yamato buff is kinda meh. I'd have preferred an improved AP shell that increases MB reload by 20% but cannot be bounced. Just to see how the fanbase reacts, ofc.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,286 posts
25,408 battles
1 hour ago, Big_Spud said:

I wonder how certain parties will twist these obvious buffs as nerfs.

Its a BB and not a DD so some of those parties won't chime in.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,451 battles

now izumo fanboys have no reason to cry about 100mm guns buff.

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,226 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

now izumo fanboys have no reason to cry about 100mm guns buff.

What, pray tell, is an “Izumo Fanboy“, and where can such a mythical creature be found?! :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,451 battles
Just now, Nhi_Vanye said:

What, pray tell, is an “Izumo Fanboy“, and where can such a mythical creature be found?! :Smile-_tongue:

oh you know,if you look hard enough,you will find those entities that escaped arkham asylum.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,321 battles
44 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Octavian did mention in a Q&A not long ago that they would like to redo Izumo from the ground up using lessons learned since then, but simply don't have the time or resources to dedicate to it at all this year.

IIRC what a lot of people really want is a Japanese Tier IX Nelson, but if the blueprints WG derived her from show the third turret facing backwards, there's not much they can do about that without making her even more of a paper ship than she already is.

If WG is good to me with port-slot drops I might consider climbing the Japanese BB line for a bit; the Kongos are the closest we're likely to get to having HMS Tiger, and I'm curious to see for myself what all the screaming was about regarding Myogi (a battlecruiser if there ever was one), albeit if these buffs go through soon I'll never get to see her in her raw form.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles

Meanwhile, New York still doesn't even have a spotter plane. Something she got 5 years before Kongo...

Alpha Tester
1,969 posts
28 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Meanwhile, New York still doesn't even have a spotter plane. Something she got 5 years before Kongo...

Not to mention her AA is heavily downgraded from its historical version. But you know WG, balance...

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,268 posts
2,029 battles
1 hour ago, YamatoA150 said:

Then again, it's possible either may happen in the future after the Italian and Russian BB lines, as Yamato still is the only T10 BB left with a high citadel, and it's unlikely the Italians or Russians would get one unless WG wanted to give them a weakness in that respect (I'm going with the assumption that Roma's high citadel may or may not be representative of the Italian BB line later on).

I can't speak to Russian citadel heights, although @ValkyrWarframe should be able to.

As far as Italian battleships - yep. Italian BB designs tended to have narrow but tall machinery spaces, so while maybe the citadel height of the WWI BBs won't be so bad, the WWII battleships (Cavour and Duilio classes, plus the Littorio-class) all had fairly tall citadels.

As a matter of fact WG artificially nerfed (intentionally so, according to Sub) Roma's citadel width and removed several protective bulkheads for the sake of balance. So, I'd probably guess Italian BBs would get the tall citadels, and not have preferential treatment like the RN BB citadels (where the tops of the machinery is cut off).

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC what a lot of people really want is a Japanese Tier IX Nelson, but if the blueprints WG derived her from show the third turret facing backwards, there's not much they can do about that without making her even more of a paper ship than she already is.

If WG is good to me with port-slot drops I might consider climbing the Japanese BB line for a bit; the Kongos are the closest we're likely to get to having HMS Tiger, and I'm curious to see for myself what all the screaming was about regarding Myogi (a battlecruiser if there ever was one), albeit if these buffs go through soon I'll never get to see her in her raw form.

Funny thing is that such a design exists for Izumo, or rather, in the A-140 plans where Izumo came from. One of them is the A-140/A that many have probably seen floating around, although that design was for 460mm cannons. The other is a J-variant. And the J-variants are what WG focused on since they were the only ones designed around a 410mm cannon, rather than the larger 460mm cannon (The A-I designs). Izumo specifically is Design A-140/J2 (or so the old site blurb on her stated way back when). The J0-J2 designs are the same turret setup as we have currently, rather than the Nelson-style 140/A. The J3, if I'm not misremembering, is a Montana-like, 4x Triple 16.1" AB-XY design.

Assuming WG does decide to overhaul Izumo proper, WG could adapt the 140/A design but downgrade the cannons, or pull in an entirely different design, which is a 16.1" "Yamato-lite" if you will. I believe it was actually a planned Kongou replacement design, with a traditional Yamato-style AB-X 3x3 16.1" design (and a more conventional box citadel).

Oddly enough, there's also some unknown IJN design with quad 16" guns (or maybe quad 14" guns), though I've no idea where it came from. There is a model box poster? image of it though. I don't think WG will use it all all however. :cap_haloween:

Spoiler

4ZiYnIZ.jpg

Edited by YamatoA150

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles
25 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Not to mention her AA is heavily downgraded from its historical version. But you know WG, balance...

And her center turret is artificially limited in train angles because boats in her boat deck that she wouldn't have carried in wartime.

More "balance"..