Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JosephSantora

Smoking BBs

9 comments in this topic

Members
21 posts
5,641 battles

I usually use up more than half my smokes for teammates. (cause it's my job). I had a player tell me that smoking a bb is a waist. True?

Joe  

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
9,047 posts

If the bb is actively firing yes due to the gun bloom. However, if they are being focused down and need to escape to heal it can be useful but they have to stop firing.

• Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Not if they spam the F keys I wont do it.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

If the bb is actively firing yes due to the gun bloom. However, if they are being focused down and need to escape to heal it can be useful but they have to stop firing.

True.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
14 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This, plus even if they stop firing, it takes a few seconds to have the bloom effect wear off.

In essence, smoking a BB is virtually wasteful anymore unless, they are a BB that cannot be concealed on their own (IJN) and are being focused.

Members
9,984 posts
20 minutes ago, JosephSantora said:

I usually use up more than half my smokes for teammates. (cause it's my job). I had a player tell me that smoking a bb is a waist. True?

Joe  

You know they adjusted gun bloom detection in smoke...right? BB's get hardly any help from smoke, so yes, it's kind of pointless.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
361 posts
6,819 battles

Unless the BB is at least 15 km's from the enemy, it is a waste. The BB's concealment in smoke was changed and it no longer remains invisible within smoke. It's a nice gesture sure, but it is sorely wasted on a active firing BB.

If you are going to use it on a BB, ensure that the BB is going to stop firing or is attempting to turn. At which time, concealing it during the turn is immensely helpful. It keeps the enemy from hitting its citadel. BUT if that BB is actively engaging a target, every time it fires, it will be detected out to a good 10+km's.

Another time to use smoke on a BB is if it is firing at long range. Again, because it does at least shorten its detection range when firing so it's at least not spotted 20km's away but instead around that 10+.

When they are brawling with a enemy ship up close, it's a little too late to smoke for them.

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
Members
148 posts
9,146 battles

99% of the Time a BB requests smoke he is already dead regardless of what you do. They have 20 sec till the smoke would work (assuming they understand smoke mechanics...which they don't). Also they are big as a house and can be blind fired regardless of smoke. Also...exactly what are they planning to do in 60 seconds or so that will allow them to live once the smoke clears? Best case you buy them 60 seconds of life where they're unable to help  the team by firing in anyway (unless secondaries are on which assures your smoke is useless by showing their exact position bow to stern.  

I will team smoke for DD's in cap for example or Cruisers fleeing to reach cover sometimes. There has to be a real and pressing need for the smoke that will result in that ship living and making a real contribution. Most smokes today given for others are not only a waste but will cause your death shortly thereafter when you now don't have a smoke and you're presumably in a bad situation position wise trying to bail out that BB in trouble who is over extended.

Members
1,742 posts
9,916 battles

False smoke for BBs has use, esp for BBs with longer than average reloads.

Do the math.  Their bloom lasts 20 seconds, their reload is almost only longer than that.  This means the BB spends a greater portion of time under less accurate fire.

There are other tactics as well.  For example if you and a BB wanted to be super sneaky use island cover they can shoot over to block the line of sight, and smoke to prevent plane spotting for some good old fashioned CQB BB violence.

Sign in to follow this