You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Starfighter_Ace

Strafing at Tier X, what am I doing wrong?

9 comments in this topic

[VF-10]
Members
42 posts

Yesterday I took out my Midway. The Personal Challenge is very tempting, so I tried my hand at it. I had less than 10 games in the Midway, but hundreds in my other US CV's.  Strafed many times with success and consider myself an experienced player. Well, yesterday was a complete and total disaster. Nothing went right. I would set up strafes and not a single red team plane went down while I am loosing entire squadrons to his/her strafing passes. Didn't matter if it was IJN or USN aircraft. I could make successful attacks against Red Team ships, when they survived the brutal AAA, but trying to protect them from the Red Team fighters was hopeless.  Is there some modual that buffs your planes to survive enemy strafing? Is it a server lag problem that shows up at High Tier matches that I don't see at 6-8? I played 2-4 games with the Midway prior to this without this kind of problem with a 50% win rate. Now it's around 20% and I'm ready to chuck it all and go do something else.

I spent a lot of time playing against robots to sharpen my skills with this ship. Prepared me for the brutal AAA.  Never saw anything like this- ineffective strafes while you loose all your planes to the opposition.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
676 posts
12,414 battles

I play midway last week /need that 3 stars for Hasley campaign/.

As you mentioned AAA is too strong /if you meet DM, Hindi, Minotaur, and lots of others./ Doesn't matter you have t10 cv ...... insta dead like in 10s if you don't look around.

I personally have other problem, I don't wonder nobody wants to play CVs. Experienced players preventing enjoy any normal player play CV. Wg mentioned that huge gap between CV skill. For any normal player is soo frustrated play against somebody with 1000-3000 CV games player.

First of all, they should turn off that manual strafe for fighters. skilled player will over click you anytime and with one sq he can kill 40 planes and even that bug if you strafe first to disengage he press something and he strafes your line and kills all planes. 

I had some 0dmg games with midway at weekend .... its better play any other class and even average players can make some impact in the game.

I hope cv rework will happen this year or nobody want play CV ever. 

Edited by Gandariel

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,778 posts
5,809 battles

The skill gap for CV's is real, it is also real in cruisers and dd's but less pronounced with BB's. The difference is CV's have a huge influence in the outcome of a match and CV's in a platoon are the ultimate cancer.

Manual strafe's have a lot to do with ping and lag. The player with the better connection will usually win the air war.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,710 battles

It also doesn't help that midway got screwed with it's tier lvl for it's planes T8 TB for a tier 10 CV but IJN gets tier 10 TB they need to up the tier level for Midway planes now its lost part of it's hanger.

Members
15 posts
4,594 battles

One problem with strafing in general is that it is very unrealistic. In a game where they seem to pride themselves on balancing historical accuracy and game play the way strafing is implemented is about the same as putting a ship melting death ray on the Tier I USS Erie.

Imagine that you are protecting your carrier with your fighters. Now imagine that TPs and Dive Bombers attack at the same time. The Torpedo planes would be attacking from down on the deck. The dive bombers from high altitude. Yet if a strafing run comes through it melts them all regardless of altitude. How could that ever happen?

If there is going to be strafing then make it realistic and allow fighters to attack ships. The way its done now makes no sense at all.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,710 battles
2 hours ago, GoldDust2015 said:

If there is going to be strafing then make it realistic and allow fighters to attack ships. The way its done now makes no sense at all.

The problem is they have screwed over the US line so bad US CV need strafe to be able to compete against other CV, take tier 8 US get's a 1-1-2 loadout while IJN gets 2-2-2 and other options 1 fighter squad is not enough to keep up with 6 squads without strafe. If they gave each line same amount of fighter planes in a squad and same number of squads they could get rid of strafe and have fighters as a left click be it shooting down TB/DB or fighting it out with other fighters least if the number of planes in squad are same it's a even fight.

But WG went the other way and just made a mess off it and made it even worse when they tried to balance the lines and who knows what's going to happen with the rework.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,535 battles

Where exactly does a strafe begin?

Does it begin when the planes cross the yellow line? Does it begin when you see the aircraft shooting? Sometimes they don't seem to be firing until well after they crossed the line.

I've had occasions where the enemy aircraft were in the 'zone' when my planes hit the line, but it seems like the closer the enemy gets to that yellow start line, the more likely my planes will fly past without doing anything to them.

I've also had cases where the enemy fighters were clearly in the bracket, my planes entered perfected and strafed, yet none of the enemy planes are shot down, and he promptly turns around and strafes me for the loss of that squadron. We were both in T VI Indy's.

[USD]
Members
2 posts
6,701 battles

Did they change the strafing rules?  I was playing my Essex and my fighters wouldn't strafe out of dogfights, even though the IJN fighters did it to me over and over.

[PWP]
Members
45 posts
4,213 battles

Strafing can be so frustrating, because of server lag...and is likely the cause for your frustration.  As a Jap CV strafing does very little for me unless Im up against another Jap CV.  My fighters don't match well at all in a fighter fight.  So if they rid strafing I wouldn't be at all opposed.  I do good at spotting for the team and get in my offensive attacks when I can.  Problem is that WOWs needs a significant difference in CV play/balance to sell a ship line.  In that regard I don't see strafing going away...but I wont play the US line unless they get a Graf Zep premium look/act alike for the US line.  Then I might actually crack open my wallet for the first time...but I might not even if they do...WOWs is notorious for changing ships and their abilities (or other ships) to sell more money.  Thus creating another stream of money.  See how that works?  Its an arms race and WOWs is the sole manufacturer.