You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

Minotaur - something's gone terribly wrong

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,629 battles

I've been playing the Mino quite a bit lately. I'm trying to get the Legendary Upgrade (I figure it might be fun), and have been playing through all the assignments. 

I got to the part where you have to win 15 games, and suddenly I can't win much of anything. I've won 3 games in the past 15 outings. I've had two losses with 160k+ damage, and several over 120k and 100k. I've only had a couple under 80k, and only two spectacularly bad games. In fact, for damage, this has been one of the best runs ever for me in the Mino - my average damage per game is actually up 10k since I started the Legendary work. But there are very few wins. But the losing streak is longer than just the  past 15 games. At one point, I lost 12 in a row.

I'm running smoke now, not radar (there's plenty of radar around these days). I've only been detected by radar three times since I started playing for the Legendary Upgrade, so it's not like I'm leaving myself as a sitting duck in the smoke.

She hasn't fared particularly well in Clan Battles either, though the win rate is much closer to 50-50 in CB.

I have seen some of the worst examples of game/team play I've ever encountered recently as well, but clearly that can't be the only problem I've run into. Example: On Shatter recently, 10 ships went to A and were unable to take it, while I and a Montana held off 7 enemy ships at C until they finally sank or turned back (I ended up capping A myself and dying in B - this was one of the 160k+ damage games). 

I'm not farming damage, but getting stuck in spots where I have plenty of enemies to fight. What on earth am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles

Play 15 Co-op games. Done. 

As for streaks, they happen to us all. Without a replay to observe your play, I'd suggest watching some of the better streamers to see what they're doing. There are also plenty of Mino games on YT from which you can probably learn a couple things. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
6 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

As for streaks, they happen to us all. Without a replay to observe your play, I'd suggest watching some of the better streamers to see what they're doing. There are also plenty of Mino games on YT from which you can probably learn a couple things. 

Costly, but will get the job done.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles

Take a break, play low tier happy ships or just don't play for a bit.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
30 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

I've been playing the Mino quite a bit lately. I'm trying to get the Legendary Upgrade (I figure it might be fun), and have been playing through all the assignments. 

I got to the part where you have to win 15 games, and suddenly I can't win much of anything. I've won 3 games in the past 15 outings. I've had two losses with 160k+ damage, and several over 120k and 100k. I've only had a couple under 80k, and only two spectacularly bad games. In fact, for damage, this has been one of the best runs ever for me in the Mino - my average damage per game is actually up 10k since I started the Legendary work. But there are very few wins. But the losing streak is longer than just the  past 15 games. At one point, I lost 12 in a row.

I'm running smoke now, not radar (there's plenty of radar around these days). I've only been detected by radar three times since I started playing for the Legendary Upgrade, so it's not like I'm leaving myself as a sitting duck in the smoke.

She hasn't fared particularly well in Clan Battles either, though the win rate is much closer to 50-50 in CB.

I have seen some of the worst examples of game/team play I've ever encountered recently as well, but clearly that can't be the only problem I've run into. Example: On Shatter recently, 10 ships went to A and were unable to take it, while I and a Montana held off 7 enemy ships at C until they finally sank or turned back (I ended up capping A myself and dying in B - this was one of the 160k+ damage games). 

I'm not farming damage, but getting stuck in spots where I have plenty of enemies to fight. What on earth am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

IMO, this is a huge problem with lemming trains, both in WoT and WoWS.  If you were in a clan battle, a battle caller would have the team push as a unit with that kind of local numerical superiority.   But in randoms, people forget that they're part of a large force and only act as a single unit.  They see a few ships in front of them, and get scared and forget that there are (in your case) 9 other ships with them.  To me, this is why lemming trains are rarely effective.  Better to just have a small numerical advantage in one area, so that you're not grossly outnumbered elsewhere.

As for what you may or may not be doing wrong, I think that your sample size is really too small to make any judgments.  You might just be getting some bad teams and that's all it might be.  When you play solo, you are much more at the whim of the vagaries of MM and potato teams.  If you can div up with other good players, that would help.  But if you can't, just keep on plugging.  Sooner or later, the randomness of potato teams will eventually come around into your favor (for a while).

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,629 battles
1 hour ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Worth a shot.

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,629 battles
49 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As for what you may or may not be doing wrong, I think that your sample size is really too small to make any judgments.  You might just be getting some bad teams and that's all it might be.  When you play solo, you are much more at the whim of the vagaries of MM and potato teams.  If you can div up with other good players, that would help.  But if you can't, just keep on plugging.  Sooner or later, the randomness of potato teams will eventually come around into your favor (for a while).

I've got 161 games on the Mino overall. It's just the past 40 or so that have gone horribly wrong. 

Members
39 posts
1,833 battles
On 7/10/2018 at 4:21 AM, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Sh!t... I should have thought of that for my Z52 and Grozovoi legendaries.... with this radar saturation, that was painful as hell.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,040 battles

I'm on the last stage of the grind. Okay some things I've learned.

Before you start, what consumable are you going to use,smoke or radar?

Do you plan to emphasize range or ROF?

I really recommend using rdf in the CO skills

The biggest weakness of the guns is that it's AP only.. There are a lot of times I wish I have HE.

What I had found is that to be effective, you'll have to play the Mino like an over grown DD. That means getting close as you can. You have the smallest concealment value so you can stealth torp. You have a concealment value of 5.75 km ( call it 6) while firing in smoke. But the smoke can be countered by (a) radar (b) torpedoes (c) someone who knows how to target ships firing in smoke. You'll need to learn how to use terrain and make sure you're angled as well.

Here's an example:

shot-18_07.28_00_52.37-0983.thumb.jpg.b5613ddf63c32ba6aaf0d944cdf64b0d.jpg

There were 3 bb's and a wooster before this shot. Note my position and where I was pointed. You need to pointed in the right direction in case you need to get out fast.  I smoked up and I prioritized the wooster first.  Somebody else got him but that's fine. So at this point the Yami, Amagi and Kurfurst are in my gun arcs and I can fire torps if they decide to break out from either side of the island. didn't any of them, but I pinned them for the rest to kill them off.