Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thornir

Radar Yang, Radar Mu

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF6] Thornir
1,465 posts
4,500 battles

With the high tiers dissolving into a radar fest...any of you guys playing the radar modules on these ships regularly?

What are you learning? 

I did six games in Mu and Yang earlier. 4-2. Lower damage, more kills, more caps. 100% death rate. But that's me not knowing how to play them.

[FACT] Taichunger
8,053 posts

Radar yang, radar mu (a-ha)

there is nothing you can do 

We just have to face it....

• Cool 1

[WOLF6] Thornir
1,465 posts
4,500 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

there is nothing you can do 

We just have to face it....

lol...Haiku?

Ended the night 6-2, alternating between Yang and Chung (wang chung?)

I was on the receiving end of radar in five of eight games. Used the radar in 3. Always in caps, always against DDs. I need a shower.

Interesting how the game changes when you don't use the smoke as a crutch. Damage output wasn't very high, but I averaged almost two caps a game, and more than one kill. Had to stay a lot more focused.

It is just amazing to see the reaction of cruisers when they get lit up. That shoe doesn't fit both feet, apparently. Don't like their prey to fight back.

[AAA] wstugamd
295 posts
4,564 battles

1. We were all Chung Mu fighting....... that boat was fast as lighting......

2. I’m an average to terrible player. In a dd with the radar boats so high I don’t think it matters as you won’t be using either early in games. If you are a stud then you know how to use radar or smoke. Otherwise do you want to hunt dds in smoke or use smoke?

[BBP] _MiDKnighTx_
333 posts
3,653 battles

Just to play around with different play styles I have radar (with mod) on my Yueyang and smoke (with mod) on my Chung Mu.  

[CAST] Harv72b
1,357 posts
5,520 battles

I've been running radar Yueyang (with radar module) during clan wars, to great effect.  It works in randoms as well, but playing as a solo Yueyang without smoke can be sub-optimal at times.

When you opt for radar instead of smoke in these DDs, you are basically committing yourself to an anti-DD role; those sweet deep water torps still make you effective against larger ships, but killing the red DDs should be your primary goal.  As such, your map awareness has to be on point at all times...you need to be able to recognize when you can aggressively pursue an enemy DD without getting stomped by opposing cruisers & battleships in the area.  This can involve going after isolated destroyers attempting to flank your team, but can also be done in higher traffic areas by using terrain to shield your ship from the rest of the enemy team.  You need to be comfortable playing a high tier DD while spotted, being able to break contact when necessary without using smoke and to accurately gauge when it isn't necessary to break contact at all.

The ideal scenario for a radar YY/CM in a random battle is to radar an enemy DD who has just smoked and then "capture" their smoke for yourself.  Just keep in mind that even with the special upgrade, your radar duration maxes out at just 24 seconds on YY (less on Chung Mu), so without support from friendly ships you aren't often going to be able to gun down a full health DD before your radar expires.  Of course, simply lighting them up will cause most destroyers to abandon their smoke and run immediately, so you'll still gain possession of that smoke more often than not.  In open water you no longer have to worry about being outspotted, as any enemy DD which spots you is necessarily inside your radar range.

As a side note, you also have to retrain your brain to remember that the "T" key is no longer smoke, so you don't keep hitting your radar whenever you'd be smoking up in other DDs (guilty). :Smile_teethhappy:

[BBP] _MiDKnighTx_
333 posts
3,653 battles
17 hours ago, Harv72b said:

I've been running radar Yueyang (with radar module) during clan wars, to great effect.  It works in randoms as well, but playing as a solo Yueyang without smoke can be sub-optimal at times.

When you opt for radar instead of smoke in these DDs, you are basically committing yourself to an anti-DD role; those sweet deep water torps still make you effective against larger ships, but killing the red DDs should be your primary goal.  As such, your map awareness has to be on point at all times...you need to be able to recognize when you can aggressively pursue an enemy DD without getting stomped by opposing cruisers & battleships in the area.  This can involve going after isolated destroyers attempting to flank your team, but can also be done in higher traffic areas by using terrain to shield your ship from the rest of the enemy team.  You need to be comfortable playing a high tier DD while spotted, being able to break contact when necessary without using smoke and to accurately gauge when it isn't necessary to break contact at all.

The ideal scenario for a radar YY/CM in a random battle is to radar an enemy DD who has just smoked and then "capture" their smoke for yourself.  Just keep in mind that even with the special upgrade, your radar duration maxes out at just 24 seconds on YY (less on Chung Mu), so without support from friendly ships you aren't often going to be able to gun down a full health DD before your radar expires.  Of course, simply lighting them up will cause most destroyers to abandon their smoke and run immediately, so you'll still gain possession of that smoke more often than not.  In open water you no longer have to worry about being outspotted, as any enemy DD which spots you is necessarily inside your radar range.

As a side note, you also have to retrain your brain to remember that the "T" key is no longer smoke, so you don't keep hitting your radar whenever you'd be smoking up in other DDs (guilty). :Smile_teethhappy:

I used RDF Khaba and RDF Radar Yueyang last ranked season.  I used both as DD hunters but in different ways.  

In Khaba I could hunt DDs solo and track them down with RDF.  Khaba could win a gunfight against any DD one on one.  

But Yueyang isn't vastly superior to most other DDs in a gunfight.  For example if I radared a Grozovoi in Yueyang and started open firing what good is that doing me?  Radar Yueyang worked best when I had a cruiser backing me up.    So let's say there's a Z-52 hiding in smoke...  I'm in my radar Yueyang with a friendly Minotaur behind me.  That's when radar Yueyang is most effective.  I pop radar then both Yueyang and Minotaur are firing in Z-52 and it's a bad day for him.  

So in short...  Khaba is a good solo DD hunter.  Radar Yueyang is a better TEAM DD hunter.  

• Cool 2

[R-R-R] Exciton8964
952 posts
6,041 battles

I am considering using radar on my Chung mu.

It is infuriating when enemy DDs just smoke up in front of you w/o the need to worry about any torpedoes. 

I actually think smoke is more useful when there were a lot of radar ships around. Because you can rely on teammate radar to outplay enemy DDs. But I feel there are not that many radar ships now after the initial heat dissipates. I feel very powerless in cap contesting and anti-DD in this ship.

[WOLF6] Thornir
1,465 posts
4,500 battles

The more I play these guys with radar, the more convinced I become that this is the way to go in the current radar heavy meta.

I'm using torp accel on the YY, so 10.5 Km range and 73 kt torps. No evasion likely. Even CAs find it tough. Damn those WASD HAXOARZ though... :Smile_teethhappy:

On CM, Using the torp reload module. With the Commander's skill, torp reload is 81 seconds. 

Running the radar boost module on both.

And when (If?) WG makes radar LoS, it won't matter a jot to me. A DD behind a rock is sacrilege. 

I'm tellin' ya, these guys want to play radarbote, I'm a playin' radarbote. :Smile_izmena:

Sign in to follow this