You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Just How Many Fishing Divisions Are There At High Tiers?

7 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,079 posts
5,879 battles

I'm not sure if MM has suddenly decided that it hates me, but two thirds of my last dozen or so battles in tier 8-9 carriers have consistently paired me (who pretty much always plays solo, especially in CVs) against fishing divisions.

While most of them were fairly competent carrier players in their own right (barring one in a 2-0-3 Graf Zeppelin), when divisioned up with competent AA ships, it becomes close to impossible to pull off >100k damage games. The two division mates cover one half of the map, allowing the enemy carrier to focus his fighter coverage over the other half. In essence, I am limited solely to defensive play (which becomes untenable when my teammates push into the caps and thus the AA range of enemy ships, thus forcing me to remove my fighters and allow the enemy CV to attack said pushing teammates lest I lose my fighters) and opportunistic strikes (when just about every flank of the map is covered either by AA ships or fighters, such opportunities are usually very rare and very costly to my bombers).

Granted, I still ended up winning over half of them (probably because I just play defensively, spot enemy destroyers, and execute opportunistic attacks), but my damage numbers and planes shot down consistently suffer, and things like spotting don't net nearly the amount of xp and silver that damage and plane kills do.

Is this just a spate of bad luck/MM, or am I going to have to adapt my tactics to account for meeting enemy fishing divisions most of the time?

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
472 posts

current state of game

when playing my t10 ships i see a carrier maybe once every 20 match

so i wouldnt worry about it cv are clearly out of the game at t10 and clan wars

Members
4,564 posts
6,499 battles

I am kinda clueless but what is a fishing division? Never heard that term. They after cod? Herring? Flounder? What? :Smile_sad:

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,483 battles
20 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I'm not sure if MM has suddenly decided that it hates me, but two thirds of my last dozen or so battles in tier 8-9 carriers have consistently paired me (who pretty much always plays solo, especially in CVs) against fishing divisions.

Granted, I still ended up winning over half of them (probably because I just play defensively, spot enemy destroyers, and execute opportunistic attacks), but my damage numbers and planes shot down consistently suffer, and things like spotting don't net nearly the amount of xp and silver that damage and plane kills do.

Is this just a spate of bad luck/MM, or am I going to have to adapt my tactics to account for meeting enemy fishing divisions most of the time?

First off, my hat is off to you for being able to play a CV competently in PvP above tier 5.  I only play PvE with my higher tier CV's because I can't strafe to save my life, and I stink at RTS games in general.  To your point, yeah - I see fewer and fewer solo CV players, mostly they are in a 3 man div with AA spec cruiser/DD combos.  I am hoping that the fabled "rework/re-balance" of the CV element doesn't punish good players like you in order to allow CV nublets like me an easier time by removing all skill from it.

Members
1,343 posts
504 battles
31 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I am kinda clueless but what is a fishing division? Never heard that term. They after cod? Herring? Flounder? What? :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,079 posts
5,879 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

I am kinda clueless but what is a fishing division?

Basically, a carrier that divisions with AA-heavy ships in order to rig a match in his favor. For instance, a Saipan-Kutuzov-Kidd division is capable of shutting down just about every solo tier 7 CV they face.

Members
4,564 posts
6,499 battles
12 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Now this is my idea of fishing.  Hook a fish with every cast. No time to have a beer however.