You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

a counter intuitive fix to CV queue problem

17 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles

Problem

so high tier CV players probably have experienced this: you sit in Queue for a long time, and the moment when another eligible CV pops up, a battle is drawn. sometimes the line up is less than optimal (e.g. 5v5 games). The player experience sucks for both the CV player and the rest of the teams.

Solution

In my opinion, the easy way to fix this lack of CV in queue is to implement a hard timer: whenever a CV has waited more than 5 minutes (could be lower), a game will be drawn no matter what, even if only one side has a CV.

Rationale:

What I suspect will happen, is that many more high tier CV players will now play CVs, hoping to get in a match where he's the only CV and get to seal club. Therefore the lack of high tier CV will be solved. I never play my CVs, but if I know there's a chance I get to play game version of 1945 Pacific War being the USN side, I will jump for joy and play lots of CV!

Disclaimer

this is merely an experiment...but i think it's worth a try.

Edited by _Dracarys
  • Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,234 posts
1,802 battles

This sounds like a recipe to bail on a queue at high tier the moment you see there is a single CV.

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

This sounds like a recipe to bail on a queue at high tier the moment you see there is a single CV.

Said CV will remain in queue, the bailer will not get to play the rest of the night lol.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,234 posts
1,802 battles
Just now, _Dracarys said:

Said CV will remain in queue, the bailer will not get to play the rest of the night lol.

Bailer can pop to a lower tier ship, play a match and then try again.  Better than taking a 50/50 gamble on being on the team that wins because it got the CV.

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

Bailer can pop to a lower tier ship, play a match and then try again.  Better than taking a 50/50 gamble on being on the team that wins because it got the CV.

well if my experiment works out, then you will have most games with 2v2 CV plays. If it doenst work, then the game mode would be scratched anyways.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,560 posts
8,979 battles

This makes more sense than pretty much every other CV suggestion but with the CV rework going on that may solve this problem anyway.

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

This makes more sense than pretty much every other CV suggestion but with the CV rework going on that may solve this problem anyway.

when and what is the cv rework anyways? any deets?

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,560 posts
8,979 battles
14 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

There is very little information the testers and those that have sampled it are strictly following the NDA. It was supposed to be this year but it wouldn't surprise me if it gets pushed back to the first quarter of 19. Patience young padawan.

Members
433 posts
18 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

I've heard non-CV players will like the changes, CV players won't. Make of that what you will.

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles
1 minute ago, MrSparkle said:

I've heard non-CV players will like the changes, CV players won't. Make of that what you will.

so even fewer CV players? LOL

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,560 posts
8,979 battles
2 minutes ago, MrSparkle said:

Just now, _Dracarys said:

so even fewer CV players? LOL

Many of the current CV players would stop playing them but it would open them up to the other 90% of the player base.

[SALVO]
Members
17,028 posts
17,629 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

^100000000% This.

If I entered the queue and there was already a CV there, I'd be tempted to bail.  OTOH, if I entered the queue and the CV only showed up after I did, I might be patient and wait a while.

Frankly, @_Dracarys , I don't think that many non CV players would want to get stuck on the team that didn't have a CV, except perhaps if they were playing a strong anti-air cruiser.  And even then, that's no guarantee that the CV wouldn't just  trash the rest of your team mates outside of your AA cruiser's AA range.

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

This used to be how it worked a long time ago and it was terrible to be on a team without a cv.

[RLGN]
Members
8,240 posts
17,222 battles
1 hour ago, MrSparkle said:

Pretty much. (arfarfarf) over the current ‘small’ population of carrier drivers in the hopes it is replaced by a bigger population when WoWs switches to the supposedly ‘easier’ non-rts control system.

What a load of horse manure...

...more likely result is the same thing we have now; a core of hyper-skilled drivers breaking the game for everyone else; meaning the entire change will have been a completely wasted effort.

Not like easier/faster/less drastic fixes haven’t been getting suggested for the last two years or anything.

Clunky or not; I thought RTS games have been at least moderately popular the last number of years; and as someone with zero experience with them, who found the controls easy enough to pick up; don’t understand why so many found carriers so hard to play.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
2 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

i think it's worth a try.

I'm against your suggestion for the following reason ...

1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

This used to be how it worked a long time ago and it was terrible to be on a team without a cv.

@RipNuN2 has hit the nail square on the head; being on the team with no CV is like an automatic loss. One ship after another spotted and focus fired into extinction. I know you mean well and put some time and effort into thinking this through, but you had to play those 1 CV games to appreciate how powerful one side having a CV and the other side not is. BIG NO!

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,833 posts
13,047 battles

How about a variant on this option.  As the timer gets closer to the five minute threshold, gradually increase the MM allotment for high AA ships.  When the time out occurs, and one CV goes to one team, he will be faced with an AA-buffed adversary. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

This was how it was from CBT until a few months after release and it was awful. If the CV was descent he could club your average Rando's.