You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Motivation Monday - Turning the Tide

31 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
902 posts
5,999 battles

Image result for world of warships gun battle

What do you do to try and turn the tide of battle in your team's favor?

Often times, teams tend to lose the initiative and momentum if they lose the first ship(s) during the battle.

However, I have also noticed many players do not give up and change up their tactics to turn the tide in their favor.

For myself, I try not to pay too much attention to the score and instead focus on staying with my teammate(s) and trying to take down the closest threat to my team.

Also, capping an objective forces the enemy fleet to come to you and can throw them off-balance.

When the going gets tough, how do you get your team to keep going towards victory?

"The best defense is a well-directed fire from your own guns." - David Farragut, US Navy

#motivationmonday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles

Calling out targets seems to help some times.

• Cool 3

[WOLF6]
Members
65 posts
2,140 battles
19 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

However, I have also noticed many players do not give up and change up their tactics to turn the tide in their favor.

For myself, I try not to pay too much attention to the score and instead focus on staying with my teammate(s) and trying to take down the closest threat to my team.

Also, capping an objective forces the enemy fleet to come to you and can throw them off-balance.

This says it all, especially staying with one's teammate(s) and taking out the nearest threat with concentrated fire. The problem I've seen with this is that not enough players practice this style of play and prefer to solo around the map until the OpFor takes them out with organized and concentrated fire... :fish_nerv:

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
279 posts
7,063 battles

Watching over a player after I am dead and trying to warn them of torps, islands, and approaching planes.  Also keeping an eye on points and game timer.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

If my allies are too scared to push, I will gladly take point in my Ryujo. Whether I live or die, it is up to the team. If the team wants to win, they will join me. If the team wants to lose, they won't do anything.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles

I do things like try to kill two ships at once. Others do things like spam pings all game. Pinging a thousand times really motivates the team.

shot-18_07.09_10_44.21-0307.jpg.b99d784b809d6cc6fd01fb265e18ed7b.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

The spam drives me insane and honestly serves no purpose other than blocking possible constructive tactical conversation in chat. A ping here a ping there, cool. The screenshot though, way over the top...

As far as what I do to turn things around, well it depends on the situation. For instance, if we are getting flanked, even if I am in a BB or Cruiser, I'll go back (solo) to slow them down. I can survive long enough in most cases to buy at least a minute or two to have other ships get to either the objective or to where I am and help defend. 

Generally though if I need to play outside of the box, I can and don't mind doing so. I suppose if I did my stats would be a bit better. lol

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,473 battles

I would say "stay the course" is what I do. If my team is invested in a location I will not kite, I will instead continue to force the attack while using the WASD hack. To many players 1st reaction is to turn & run. That is neither a wining nor a sustainable strategy. Sticking together & focusing fire will nearly always carry the day. 

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
14 minutes ago, BURN_Miner said:

The spam drives me insane and honestly serves no purpose other than blocking possible constructive tactical conversation in chat. A ping here a ping there, cool. The screenshot though, way over the top...

As far as what I do to turn things around, well it depends on the situation. For instance, if we are getting flanked, even if I am in a BB or Cruiser, I'll go back (solo) to slow them down. I can survive long enough in most cases to buy at least a minute or two to have other ships get to either the objective or to where I am and help defend. 

Generally though if I need to play outside of the box, I can and don't mind doing so. I suppose if I did my stats would be a bit better. lol

If you are playing Standard Battle, then you should go back but that is situational. If you are playing Domination, I always tell players to just let the enemy team take it and keep pushing to our objective. What happens nearly every time is that one player will go back, die,  another will go back, die, and the whatever ships that are left pushing the objective are surrounded by both sides and the battle is loss. Push and push hard, we can always take it back.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,192 posts
18,937 battles

Reminding players that running is sometimes the better choice instead of getting another kill. Two minutes to go, 150 points lead and two ships alive means run and not to fight. Throwing away 50% extra XP for the team (and yourself) for one more kill is stupid. Also: removing low health ships from the game. While some say that's kill stealing it prevents that ship to fire back. A one point DD with torps sill can kill a BB.

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,473 battles
3 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

What happens nearly every time is that one player will go back, die,  another will go back, die, and the whatever ships that are left pushing the objective are surrounded by both sides and the battle is loss. Push and push hard, we can always take it back.

Very true! I will always try to lend supporting fire if someone is in trouble & try to position myself to help. The exception is if I see someone YOLOing. Then pfft... Good luck buddy! 

In the end I think the main problem is in many cases we have either 12 ppl playing the mini game & doing their own thing or 12 lemmings being led to the slaughter. In both cases everyone ends up dying. In the former singly & in the later one at a time as they get fed to the fire. IMO what everyone needs to be thinking when the match starta is "How to can I help my team with the weapons at my disposal". Once they have that mindset position themselves to support their team while maximizing their ability to do damage. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
4 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

Very true! I will always try to lend supporting fire if someone is in trouble & try to position myself to help. The exception is if I see someone YOLOing. Then pfft... Good luck buddy! 

In the end I think the main problem is in many cases we have either 12 ppl playing the mini game & doing their own thing or 12 lemmings being led to the slaughter. In both cases everyone ends up dying. In the former singly & in the later one at a time as they get fed to the fire. IMO what everyone needs to be thinking when the match starta is "How to can I help my team with the weapons at my disposal". Once they have that mindset position themselves to support their team while maximizing their ability to do damage. 

I am okay with a lemmings charge as long as everyone pushes and no one runs. I forget the map name but I believe we could successfully push the gap if everyone pushed hard, push straight, and takes the damage. Problem being that as soon as they see a ship they turn and beach themselves. Otherwise like I said, if everyone can lemmings without anyone retreating, it can work. Of course, this barely happens but when it does, it is a good time.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" :cap_viking:

Edited by vonKaiser

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

Try to remember that you have control over your emotions.

Take your medication, get a good nights rest, stay hydrated, and smile.

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,353 battles

If I'm in a BB I usually try to tank and tie up a few red ships to buy time. Or in those sad games where the DDs are out on the edges chasing potatoes instead of capping and spotting I try to do their job and cap if I can hoping they will follow me in, they usually don't.

In a DD I mainly try to spot and cap.

In a cruiser I just do what I normally do, set as many fires as I can on whoever I can.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,192 posts
18,937 battles
22 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

If I'm in a BB I usually try to tank and tie up a few red ships to buy time. Or in those sad games where the DDs are out on the edges chasing potatoes instead of capping and spotting I try to do their job and cap if I can hoping they will follow me in, they usually don't.

In a DD I mainly try to spot and cap.

In a cruiser I just do what I normally do, set as many fires as I can on whoever I can.

Slowing down some other enemy ships with a BB is something good.

As for a DD there are many options, you need a good idea what's happening all around you. I usually don't smoke up the cap since it gives the enemy a idea where to search me. It always make me grinch when I see a DD use smoke in a cap and then just sit inside it. It's like screaming "Send your torps here".

With the crusiers it depends on the ship. If I have a good stealth value I always try to sail near the DD's to cover them.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Often times, teams tend to lose the initiative and momentum if they lose the first ship(s) during the battle.

When the going gets tough, how do you get your team to keep going towards victory?

"The best defense is a well-directed fire from your own guns." - David Farragut, US Navy

#motivationmonday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

I'm loosing all motivation to even play this game anymore.  The chat is becoming toxic with players wanting to stat shame me.  I would love to have a game where that wouldn't happen so I got a 48 percent win rate who gives a blank.  The individuals that stat shamed me yes got reported via ticket lol.  Jokes on them.  But yea the toxic level of little kids and some adults is making me loose my motivation to play.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ALPHA]
[ALPHA]
Members
404 posts
8,518 battles
2 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Be bolder, braver, fiercer and not capitulate.

The problem is lot of player don't have bollocks for that.

I follow a precepts of general Lasalle, the legendary commander of Hellish Brigade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Charles_Louis_de_Lasalle

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

Destroy DDs, contest caps.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

[H_]
Members
806 posts

Seriously?  This is a First Person Shooter (FPS).  A meritocracy?  What team?  When we have a division in-game, we mostly have to ignore the other 9 players........they surely don't take advice, want company or want to even remotely work together...and, to top things off, they are toxic as all get out.....

We can't field a clan anymore: too many won't play anymore.  Radar has ruined upper tier game play to the point that we just don't play 9 or 10.......  I've retired my hard ground for tier 9 and 10 IJN ships....they are Non Value Added to play: who intentionally plays a ship knowing you'll lose in-game money doing so???  My tier 8's are actually T 9 and 10's because I just about never get to play within my class.....

There isn't very much at all hoo-ah going on out there Gneisenau013 !!!! 

Here's an idea: if you want to create a bright, creative and dynamic environment for first rate, non-clan game play:  get rid of the 1960's radar; change MM to +/-1;  and, reward equitably all of the support activities non-battleships do.... (spotting, capping, etc.,)

To specifically answer your sentence: we separate ourselves from the chaos and attempt to fight as a team.....

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,399 posts
7,379 battles

Motivation? I play Conqueror! :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles
18 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I've retired my hard ground for tier 9 and 10 IJN ships....they are Non Value Added to play: who intentionally plays a ship knowing you'll lose in-game money doing so??? 

When I first unlocked a tier IX, I thought I'd never make it pay for itself. However, now I routinely net credits (not many, mind you, but some) most games with my tier X Gearing. The"secret" to doing so is to 1. belong to a clan that has the 10% service cost reduction upgrade 2. run the 10% service cost reduction signal and the 20% credit signal if you can (coal and campaigns make it relatively easy to keep these stocked) 3. don't spend on premium modules, camo, etc. -- use stock ones 4. try to come in at the top third of your team. 

Last game I netted 39k credits with a Seattle and I fell in the middle of the pack.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[H_]
Members
806 posts

thanks for the advice.  I appreciate it.

1)  Our clan has this.

2)  I do

3) there's nothing to spend on - it's all stock

4)  Rarely happens because I usually get massacred by cruisers et al. before the 8th minute via radar....  And, if I hang back, there is little or any chance to get to and destroy strays....  the rest are securely protected by radar and there is 0 chance getting to them....  Lost money for a week and decided that radar has made them NVA; and, our entire clan now does not play 9 or 10 anymore and we don't have enough players active to even play clan battles.....  Everyone has lost interest and RADAR has kept them away.... Sad, but true....   We reap what we sow.......

[ARGSY]
Members
6,420 posts
4,302 battles
6 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Sometimes, it seems like all hope is lost and the enemy is closing in for the kill. And that's when something incredible happens and with nothing to lose you say :etc_swear: this, I'm going down swinging... and somehow the shells fly true, Red ships blow up, the enemy is in disarray and victory is yours.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,347 posts
13,781 battles
8 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#motivationmonday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

I thought you just rage quit  a couple days ago?

Oops had you confused with someone else hehe..ignore me :D

Edited by Vaffu
mistaken identity