You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog - ST IJN DD balance changes

227 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,525 posts
7,588 battles

ST. Balance changes. Japanese destroyers.

For the Japanese HE shells of 100 mm caliber (used on Akizuki, Kitakaze, Harugumo and secondaries of the Zao and Hakuryu), the armor penetration parameter was increased from 17 mm to 25 mm. This change will allow the HE shells to penetrate the armor of all destroyers, except for Khabarovsk.

Taking those changes into account, the following parameters change in the Akizuki:

Surface Detectability Range increased from 7.56 to 7.76 km;

Surface Detectability Range after shooting from smoke increased from 2.39 to 2.48 km;

The rudder shift time for the Hull (B) is increased from 4.8 to 5.8 s;

The rudder time for the Hull (A) is increased from 6.5 to 7.8 s.

Japanese destroyer Kitakaze:

Maximum Speed was increased from 33 knot to 36 knot to increase the level of comfort of the game on the ship.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

6215D3AA-2C68-47F4-8E1F-5ABDAC6B2DC1.jpeg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
566 posts
5,218 battles

So now based on this they want the aki to handle even more sluggishly? The pen buff would be appreciated and would allow for some different builds, but the change in handling would outweigh that increase in my opinion.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles

so they gave them 1/4 penetration, which is OP

Kitakaze goes a bit faster than her designed speed, which is good

Why can't they give them 1/5 penetration? that wouldn't be OP, while still allowing them to beat down DDs.

and if you want to know why 25mm penetration is OP, it's because IFHE increases it to 32.5mm, where as 20mm will only increase it to 26mm

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 7

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Do we re classify this as a British cruiser  I mean Japanese light cruiser instead of a destroyer now:Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 1

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles

Yeah this is broken. Akizuki with Ifhe and 1/4 pen can basically win a DPs fight with half the cruisers it runs into, and just smoke and wreck any Bb.

Screw concealment, aft, Ifhe, death to anything inside 14 km.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 2

Members
4,841 posts
5,599 battles
41 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Japanese destroyer Kitakaze:

Maximum Speed was increased from 33 knot to 36 knot to increase the level of comfort of the game on the ship

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Kitakaze is now likely to be quite the gem for the alternate IJN DD branch. Don't get me wrong, Harugumo looks like a boatload of fun, but now so does Kitakaze.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WOLF2]
Members
26 posts
5,662 battles

Wait...What???  8 guns with 3 sec reload that can pen every part of every DD in the game (exect Khab which is not really a DD) and the same fire chance as the Benson.   It will not matter what its concealment or rudder shift is.  Everything within spotting range will be dead before it can be shot at.  IFHE brings it above the mystical 32mm meaning it can troll t-10 battleships.  If this change sticks, these things are going to be very strong.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles

At this rate might as well give all ships 1/4 HE pen.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
7,525 posts
7,588 battles
4 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Yeah this is broken. Akizuki with Ifhe and 1/4 pen can basically win a DPs fight with half the cruisers it runs into, and just smoke and wreck any Bb.

Screw concealment, aft, Ifhe, death to anything inside 14 km.

She will also now be able to pen the hull plating on BBs with IFHE.

[SBS]
Members
2,491 posts
2,253 battles

I'm not sure what to think about this.  You guys that play the Akizuki are you going to keep IFHE, or go for something else?  I'd guess you'll stick with the IFHE. 

Just now, renegadestatuz said:

She will also now be able to pen the hull plating on BBs with IFHE.

I assume that's the point of this change since WG has this BB overpopulation problem to deal with.

I didn't see Harekaze on the list, too bad.  Will the RU, I mean the new RN DDs get 1/4 pen as well?

Edited by Slimeball91

[HINON]
Supertester
7,525 posts
7,588 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm not sure what to think about this.  You guys that play the Akizuki are you going to keep IFHE, or go for something else?  I'd guess you'll stick with the IFHE. 

I assume that's the point of this change since WG has this BB overpopulation problem to deal with.

I didn't see Harekaze on the list, too bad.  Will the RU DDs get 1/4 pen as well?

It looks like more of an oversight/forgot to add her in. Kii should’ve been added in as well.

Because they stated on top line that this is a change to Japanese 100mm HE shells. So it’s a global change to the Japanese shells. So all IJN ships with the guns would be included in this.

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles

If they stick with 1/4 penetration, then IFHE + AFT might be really good.

Just ditch CE and play as a stealthier DD support ship that spams HE for DPM at long range

Akizuki can shoot out to 15km with AFT, and the arcs are good enough to hit BBs at that range.

Members
1,158 posts
6,955 battles

i guess this makes going from the tier 7 to tier 8 less of a shock where you need a 14 point captain.  it also makes IFHE not as mandatory, allowing for more freedom of builds, which i like.   I kinda wish they did this for all lightly armed ships.(and balance accordingly)  in general i like more skills that add variety to a ship and less you need to have this to be really competitive.

i do wish they would go back and improve the hatsu and fubuki tho.  I find it dumb they can not stealth torp like pretty much every other IJN DD until they get the better hull THEN the better torps. It makes playing those ships not at all fun unless you sink some free xp into them.

Edited by Frederick_The_Great

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,383 battles

Commanders!

We have noticed that some of you occasionally have to switch between the AP and HE ammunition choices on your ships. To increase the efficiency of Japanese destroyers and the comfort of the ship we have introduced better HE, so the stress of switching ammunition is alleviated!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Ok, so ijn DDs get German quarter pen, so give German DDs British cruiser AP shells, British destroyers get usn AA, usn destroyers get ijn toropedoes, Russian destroyers get all of that, and PA destroyers get nothing.

w0imd.gif

Edited by cometguy

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

I hope they aren't serious and this will get changed in some next iteration. Wasn't WG supposed to change the armor of the higher tier DDs to prevent full pens by BBs? Why is there a need for this buff? 25mm is ludicrous and with IFHE even stupider.

Before anybody barges in, I am a huge fan of the Akizuki, she is one of my most played ships and one I love. But why should she get excellent AP to use on broadsides AND HE pen of a CL.

Why is there even a point in changing Akizuki herself? If something ain't broken, why fix it? She is already pretty strong,  small nerfs to detectability and rudder won't affect her much.

The only reasoning for this is to alleviate the pain of going from T7 to T8 and having to respec your Commander. There is a reasonable argument in this, but in no way justifying those changes.

Nerf the pen from 25mm to 20mm so you can pen most superstructures, go ahead with the DD armor change, provided there are no issues,  and maybe keep the detectability nerf on the Akizuki. And that's it. You don't need IFHE, you don't lolpen 32mm armour with your HE, you can still enjoy dynamic ammo switch as you won't have that much pen with HE and voila, you did it.

Or I could just be too butthurt from seeing one of my fave ships get changed this way and talking nonsense.:Smile_sad:

Members
1,156 posts
3,146 battles

They didn't need THAT much of a pen buff, but it's going to be nice. What these ships need is DFAA, otherwise they will get absolutely demolished by carriers, which is counter intuitive considering they were designed as AA ships. 

Members
2,301 posts
4,163 battles
53 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Why can't they give them 1/5 penetration? that wouldn't be OP, while still allowing them to beat down DDs.

and if you want to know why 25mm penetration is OP, it's because IFHE increases it to 32.5mm, where as 20mm will only increase it to 26mm

Because we need more reasons to camp behind an island hoping radar will save us.

It will be even better if the over pen BB AP only against DDs goes through.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,442 battles

I was actually hoping to come into this thread and see something regarding the IJN torpedo boats >.> Akizuki doesn't need the gun help, and I definitely don't want it to be even more sluggish than it already is.

Beta Testers
1,839 posts
10,762 battles
59 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

The game engine supports only max of 2 HE pen dividers. /s

• Funny 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,137 posts
7,663 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

I was advocating for 20mm of penetration.  This would give them 26mm of pen with IFHE which was enough to hurt most cruisers and all lower tiered battleships but not American / German heavy cruisers or tier 8+ battleships.

• Cool 5

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,013 posts
7,530 battles

Yeah, let's make a DD that already handles like a dead turtle even worse in the handling dept. I'm also not too thrilled that those 100mm guns are now effectively 127mm. I mean, when I'M using it, YAY, but for the rest of yous gais, NO! 

All in all, except for the speed increase, none of those things needed to be done.

[SBS]
Members
2,491 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Before anybody barges in, I am a huge fan of the Akizuki, she is one of my most played ships and one I love. But why should she get excellent AP to use on broadsides AND HE pen of a CL.

As I said earlier its about reducing survivability.  BBs and cruisers will get hit by this, and the Akizuki will be less survivable too.  I'm not fan of reducing overall survivability, its just doesn't benefit the players.  

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,751 battles

I see people talking about how it affects builds using IFHE and being able to better troll battleships...and nothing about how it frees up 4 captain points to invest in something besides IFHE. Now you can still have the same pen as IFHE before, but with better fire chance, which is more valuable IMO. I always just use AP on BB superstructure anyway when they're broad, and they're not a specifically good target from the start anyway. You can use those 4 points in MAA or RPF now, and make yourself even more threatening. I can see full IFHE build working on Harugumo however, as she is just way too large and unwieldy to be anti-DD like Akizuki is. 

As mentioned though, I was really hoping it was a balance chance to make the IJN DDs more torpedo focused and the Gunline more gun focused. So it seems they're leaving it a mess outside of buffing the new line that is coming. The last thing Akizuki needed was a buff to HE and a nerf to her awful agility. A buff via DFAA is more reasonable, so CVs can't troll her bad agility. 
Kitakaze is definitely going to look good now. 
Probably part of the reason they've nerfed the Akizuki is because people complained that Kitakaze wasn't looking very promising, so they made her look like more of an upgrade by making Akizuki worse and then flavoring the line with built in IFHE.
A TERRIBLE decision in my opinion. Surely they know that we're all crying for DFAA on these ships. Why won't they concede?!?

• Cool 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I was advocating for 20mm of penetration.  This would give them 26mm of pen with IFHE which was enough to hurt most cruisers and all lower tiered battleships but not American / German heavy cruisers or tier 8+ battleships.

20mm would be more balanced - 25/33mm makes every other DD except the RU railguns obsolete with respect to damaging CAs and BBs.