You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

hows the helena?

57 comments in this topic

Members
821 posts
6,190 battles

15 guns! that looks op!

oh wait i need to grind thru the dallas. no thanks!

Edited by _Dracarys

[INTEL]
Members
6,675 posts
25,840 battles

Helena is very good, IMO one of the highlights of the line. Go for it.

• Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
14,470 posts
10,488 battles

It feels like it needs more range.

• Cool 3

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,859 battles
33 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

15 guns! that looks op!

When used correctly the Dallas is not bad, it is an easy grind. The Helena is insanely fun, get it ASAP. I only have five games on it but they were all wins, I am averaging over 70k damage in her. It is hilarious when you catch a DD coming around an island at close range and you delete him in one salvo. It is funny watching battleships turn and flee when you have a good spot behind a mountain and start raining shells down on them. She is fragile, so don't expect to kite in her, it is all about positioning with her. Partnering with a Fiji makes her sing.

• Cool 1

Members
4,841 posts
5,608 battles
35 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Helena is very good, IMO one of the highlights of the line. Go for it.

^This

34 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It feels like it needs more range.

^and also this. 

I think 15.1km would be good. Shouldn't be too long to make the she'll hang time problematic, and it allows Helena to engage from a slightly safer range.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. I'm not doing as well as Belthorian / Ghost in it because I've played all except 2 of my games in her solo, but I'm averaging 62k damage and counting.

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles
48 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

15 guns! that looks op!

I find Dallas to be a pretty good CL, give her a chance. I don't think that grinding through Dallas would be much of a ordeal. And getting to Helena would definitely be worth it even if Dallas was a ordeal.

Edited by ReddNekk

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles
47 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

15 guns! that looks op!

Dallas is fine if you have CE and IFHE. Consequently, Helena needs both of these skills too.

[TF-60]
Members
77 posts
7,391 battles

Dallas hasn't been too bad even without IFHE

biggest issue with Dallas for me had been so so AA and almost every game I've played in it has had CV's

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
4,057 battles
1 hour ago, _Dracarys said:

Yeah, but you'll be able to do that in Operations pretty soon.  Just picked mine up last night, and I'm looking forward to it.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

She's an okay ship that can shine in the right situations. 1 on 1 against other CLs though she losses the DPM race in exchange for not having torpedoes.

Members
4,841 posts
5,608 battles
2 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. I'm not doing as well as Belthorian / Ghost in it because I've played all except 2 of my games in her solo, but I'm averaging 62k damage and counting.

Not as good as me?

I mean yeah, my PR is better according to WoWs stats and numbers, and I do a bit more average damage, but I got sacked with some really poor teams last week that dragged the WR down in it quite a bit.

I'd say we're a fairly even match in Helena.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WOLF7]
Members
55 posts
2,444 battles
2 hours ago, General_WTSherman said:

Dallas hasn't been too bad even without IFHE

biggest issue with Dallas for me had been so so AA and almost every game I've played in it has had CV's

Dallas was an acquired taste for me.  I didn't like "stock" Dallas much but I'm getting to like it now that I've unlocked the upgrades. 

I question whether it should have been more like the T6 Cleveland with 4x3 guns instead of 2x2, 2x3, but there we are.

Members
1,156 posts
3,146 battles

I don't have the credits or free xp to try it, so it's not on my list of ships I want, but it looks fun similar to the way the atlanta is fun. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,238 posts
14,665 battles

I've only seen one in action.  Impressive amount of shells being thrown, but alas, these are Cleveland shell trajectory.  In general CL gunnery this tier, I'd still place Schors as a better Gun CL of Tier VII.

The one Helena I saw made the mistake of being caught in the middle of the map at the wrong time in Fault Line...

300px-Fault_Line.png

Which is about as worse a mistake you can make this map, especially as a Cruiser, and didn't last long.

Still, looks like a fun CL and I'll get to her eventually.

3 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Dallas is fine if you have CE and IFHE. Consequently, Helena needs both of these skills too.

IMO the entire USN CL Line from Dallas on need the 2 skills.  The need becomes more dire the higher in tier you go.  Dallas can maybe make do with IFHE only but it certainly makes her feel unsafer and vulnerable.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TDG]
Members
1,221 posts
6,078 battles

I got through Dallas with less than a 10-point captain, so it can be done.  However, I will agree that CE and IFHE will help the results.

I just got Helena and accidentally ended up in a Random battle while rigged for Co-op (standard consumables and no performance flags).  I still don't have a 10-point captain, but I was able to contribute to the win, including sinking a ship.  Again, CE and IFHE will help significantly.

[H_]
Members
232 posts
7,301 battles

Dallas was not bad although I did not keep her. Helena is fun, squishy for sure but fun none the less. I've only played a couple games in her but have had decent success. 

Wish the range on the guns was a tad bit further, have to check to see if I have IFHE though..

Don't get caught broadside to anything,  most especially anything bigger.. Painful.

I actually find the gun arc's a bit easier to manage then the Cleveland.. no idea why they seem pretty similar..

Good boat, fun to play and can hang even when up tiered at least for me that is.  Shoot, scoot and angles all the time..

[YORHA]
Members
3,361 posts

She is very, very good, but situational. Upgraded guns, CE and IFHE are a must.

In a +2 tier game on the wrong map she struggles.  She doesn't have the range or manoeuvrability to be really effective. 

In a +1 tier or better game on the right map...

RgnThjA.jpg

And DDs should wet their pants when they see you in range.

Edited by JCC45

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
40 posts
1,657 battles

I have played almost every American CL except the Helena, Boise and the Worcester. I find the Dallas a tough grind. I have played well in the Atlanta with a 10 point plus captain and hope to do well in the Helena. To me, the Dallas and the Seattle are not good boats, but I enjoy the Cleveland and Des Moines a lot.

Edited by woody428
additional information.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,859 battles
On 7/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, _Dracarys said:

15 guns! that looks op!

Do it....do it NOW!!!!!! with a decent captain where you can have concealment and IFHE....the Helena is NASTY. If you catch a BB out of position he is going to be toast before he can break line of sight or get out of range. 

[SYN]
Members
4,550 posts
11,437 battles

Helena is, rightfully, one of the few outstanding US cruisers in the game.  Absolutely brutalizes anything caught unaware, if you can get close enough.  Especially DDs, and AP into cruisers.  Even battleship superstructures are quickly reduced to saturation status.  So many gravely underestimate the value of well-aimed AP from light cruisers.

The Dallas grind, though painful, is so worth it.

Members
171 posts
6,629 battles

It's my probably my favorite ship, one of the best cruisers in the entire USN cruiser line.  A monster when she's top tier, but I've also had a lot of really good games in her when she's bottom tier.  You definitely want IFHE and CE to get the most out of her.  She's the bane of any DD that gets her attention.  I actually think she's one of the best cruisers in the game.

[ICE9]
Members
855 posts

Helena and Boise have become my go-to "I just need to shred something" ships. Kutuzov and Fiji were my former faves, but the Brooklyns have won me over.

Pro Tip: Don't under-estimate their AP when used wisely. It's murderous in the right situation.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
906 posts
6,016 battles
On 7/9/2018 at 11:19 AM, _Dracarys said:

15 guns! that looks op!

Helena, Boise, and Nueve de Julio are great ships at Tier VII. Good firepower and firing arcs allow for shooting in a concealed position.

I usually play them as destroyer hunters or screens for larger vessels as their maneuverability isn't the best and can leave them in vulnerable positions when out in open waters.

"This ship is built to fight. You better know how." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Members
208 posts
10,293 battles
On 7/9/2018 at 1:19 PM, _Dracarys said:

15 guns! that looks op!

Dallas is not as bad as folks make it out to be.

Grind it out when they restart the T6 operations. Its a little beast there if you can switch ammo types efficiently.