Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rumple010

Fuso guns

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
13,977 battles

I've played Fuso a number of times on the PTS and I just can't figure out how to make the guns work. My shots seem to land everywhere except on target. Even sub 10km range salvos against big, juicy broadside BBs produce disappointing results.

I've grinded up to tier 10 on the American, German and French BB lines so I know what to expect when it comes to BB dispersion. Even so, my performance in Fuso is noticeably below what I can do even in my German BBs.

My experience with Fuso has been so bad it's stopped me from grinding the Japanese BB line. Does anyone else have trouble landing shots with Fuso or is it just me? Is Fuso especially finicky when it comes to aiming or is bad dispersion just a known property of Fuso and players are expected to compensate by shooting lots of 12 gun salvos?

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,554 posts
3,539 battles

Fuso guns can be tricky because they tend to slow down faster than say the New Mexico or Normdie so you have to be pretty aware of the distance your firing at

What ranges are you playing at?

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
13,977 battles

I've played at ranges that required the spotter plane to hit targets all the way down to 5 km. Fuso doesn't strike me as much of a brawler so I try to keep the enemy above 10 km distant. Sometimes the other team fails to oblige, though.

I can accept scattered shots at near maximum range, that's just the nature of BB dispersion. But I'm just not landing shots closer in like I would expect given a 12 gun broadside.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,578 battles

So okay, I've played the Fuso a lot and I have some thoughts. It took me a long time to warm up to her, but I think I'm decent now.

1. The max dispersion is actually the same as Kongo's, it's just the sigma that is worse. That means the average dispersion is worse, but then you have 12 guns to fill those holes. If you're decent with Kongo I think you should shoot the same way
  2. Aiming systems mod: if you aren't using it already, at least try it. On paper it's not a huge buff, but I kind of suspect small differences in the way people aim amplify the effect. Should also be more effective when your base dispersion characteristics are worse.

In general I like to "shoot high" with the ship, mainly against BBs. Since your shells are small for the tier, citadels on BBs are kind of rare out past 10km, and there are belts that you can't pen. So aim for the upper belt... you might miss out on an occasional citadel, but your damage should be more consistent. You'll also have fewer shells go into the water due to the crappy dispersion. 

• Some people might disagree whether this is the "right" way to do this; I'm not saying it is, I am saying that this has been consistent for me.
  • HE can be an option at long ranges, especially against bow-on, higher-tier targets like an NC. Consider playing with it, there's not a "right" answer a lot of times.
  • Under 10km I'll start to aim lower, especially on lower-tier BBs, citadels will come, but you still have to consider it on a ship by ship basis: some things like Colorados have really thick belts and some things like the Germans you can't citadel.

On cruisers you should always go for the waterline if they are broadside. You'll have more shells go into the water, but you can citadel everything in your matchmaking spread easily, and often from range. Close, angled targets you may have to aim higher, but again you have to consider on a ship by ship basis. You can overmatch a Leander, but not a Graf Spee. 

The spotter plane is not for increasing range unless you are a really good shot. Save it for spotting.

The distances you should keep of course vary depending on the situation. Against same-tierish BBs, 10km is fine, but you should generally be angled away ready to kite rather than press the engagement. Against lower-tier BBs and any sort of cruiser you can try to push and bully them. Against T8 BBs it is probably best to keep more distance; things like NCs start to lolpen you like a cruiser. Everything is of course situational: these are isolated examples, you should always look at the minimap and consider the overall position. In general you probably aren't going to stay as central as a really slow BB like a New Mexico or QE... I typically like to go out midways on a flank, turn out and camp. You fall back if it's heavy and you hold your ground if not, and potentially back up toward a cap... this is again not necessarily the "right" way to do it, but it's a safe way to do it.

Finally, I said this of the Kongo a while ago, and I think it's applicable here:

... I'd say on a general note brawling and sniping aren't strategies: you shouldn't look at playing the ship as trying to brawl or snipe. Brawling and sniping are tools you use to resolve a situation after you decide which engagement you want to take. That isolated [low tier BB] on your flank? Yeah, you can take him out, so rush in and brawl him. The aforementioned low-health [higher tier cruiser] broadside across the map? Yeah, you can take him out too, so take the snipe shot. There's tactical skill involved in both cases, but understanding if your tactical skill is good enough to do the thing is a whole other can of worms...

I want to make a proper how-to vid for the Fuso eventually, but I haven't gotten around to it, so have this video instead:

Spoiler

Members
48 posts
1,533 battles

I felt the same way. Myogi felt horrible, grinded my way to Kongo. My first couple of games, the Kongo felt VERY squishy and guns felt like they were trolling me. With more play these feelings went away completely, you do get used to the ship.

Fuso felt the same way, especially with the crazy detection range and slow speed. She really is a great ship though, I enjoy playing her. I was getting citadels on a group of three T6 and T7 BBs from 16-18km away which I've never ever been able to do, I did 95k damage in only the first 5 minutes.

Just keep at it, throw one game into your daily plays if you don't feel like playing it. It'll surprise you.

After playing Hood and German bbs, I'm willing to give any other line a good go lol. Nothing is as trolling as those guns.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, VanillaPepsi said:

I felt the same way. Myogi felt horrible, grinded my way to Kongo. My first couple of games, the Kongo felt VERY squishy and guns felt like they were trolling me. With more play these feelings went away completely, you do get used to the ship.

Fuso felt the same way, especially with the crazy detection range and slow speed. She really is a great ship though, I enjoy playing her. I was getting citadels on a group of three T6 and T7 BBs from 16-18km away which I've never ever been able to do, I did 95k damage in only the first 5 minutes.

Just keep at it, throw one game into your daily plays if you don't feel like playing it. It'll surprise you.

After playing Hood and German bbs, I'm willing to give any other line a good go lol. Nothing is as trolling as those guns.

Kongo is awful. Couldn't hit barely anything with those guns, they bounce on practically all broadsides except those of Omahas and Emeralds, and they don't have perfect angles either.

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
13,977 battles

I unlocked the Fuso on my regular account a little while ago and and the difference between the NA server and PTS is night and day. Sure sometimes my salvos land all around my target but then I get a game like the one below. I'm starting to think lag is messing up my aim on the PTS because I'm just not seeing the same problem with hitting targets on my NA account.

Anyway, I'm glad I took the plunge and started grinding the Japanese BB line. It will be a welcome addition to my port.

shot-18_07.21_11_56.08-0468.thumb.jpg.c7cda46517b5362cc0b54e8fe6769e86.jpg

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,714 battles

Try ripple firing those 6 guns  and make slight adjustments as needed to lead or height of crosshairs. With that many guns it should help you land more shells.

Sign in to follow this