Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

RDF true story

5 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,822 battles

My Pops who was USCG told me a story this weekend about how he got the CG lifesaving medal.

He was stationed out of Depoe Bay in the early '70's and they followed an RDF bearing out to a lost and sinking crab boat and rescued the entire 5 man crew as the crab boat was going down.

I asked him about RPF as some in the game call it. He said I don't know what the "F" that is and then went on a dad diatribe on how RDF works.

Anyways Cheers!

• Cool 4

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,048 posts
10,510 battles

DADS!  for the win!

Nice story, and I agree with him, Radio Direction Finder is the standard nomenclature, where the acronym RPF comes from ...?

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,822 battles
3 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

DADS!  for the win!

Nice story, and I agree with him, Radio Direction Finder is the standard nomenclature, where the acronym RPF comes from ...?

Yeah it's not a position finder it's a direction finder as so eloquently stated by my Pops. :)

Members
18,363 posts
5,241 battles
18 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Yeah it's not a position finder it's a direction finder as so eloquently stated by my Pops. :)

It's not even a position finder in-game.....

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,665 battles

Yeah that technology came about soon after radar you can always home in on where that signal was coming from being radio or radar

Lot of ships  had it Built-in and that was submarines main detection Device being that you could see somebody was coming from yet they didn't have to be broadcasting their position to do it

Cool story though:Smile_honoring:

Sign in to follow this