You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Prince Eurgen or Atago

16 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,586 battles

Am very interested in purchasing one of these and was wondering which ship is the better buy? I've been enjoying cruiser play at tier 6 and 7 and I think a tier 8 premium would fit nicely. TIA

[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,530 battles

T8 cruiser play is not as enjoyable as T6 or T7 cruiser play.  MM is a cruel mistress to T8 cruisers.  

[MIA-A]
Members
2,038 posts
9,786 battles

It depends on your playstyle.  Atago is a sneaky ship with excellent torpedoes and arcs.  The guns are decent, but her main strengths are the stealth and torpedoes.  Play is similar to a giant destroyer.  You have terrible AA, though.  As for Eugen it has good armour, good range, and good AP against broadsides.  Due to the armour, Eugen is the more survivable of the two, and also has decent AA.  It has a very hard to hit (vs cruisers) citadel at close range, german hydro, and the torpedoes to back up brawling. Eugen is played as a mid range kiting/brawling machine.  Both are excellent ships, it just depends on which fits your style better.  I would say Atago is possibly the more flexible of the two due to the longer torps and concealment.

• Funny 1

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

I would argue that Prinz Eugen is a better general-puprose cruiser, as Atago is a very niche stealth ninja cruiser. Both are very fun though.

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

It really comes down to what style of play you like better.  Both cruisers have heals and are reasonably survivable at all levels. 

Eugen has short range, but hard hitting torpedoes, Atago has long range and hard hitting torpedoes with excellent arcs.  Eugen's four turrets are pretty handy and she's excellent for long range engagements, up close her AP is extremely effective.  Atago's also very effective at long range, and will set more fires than Eugen with the right commander skills.  Her C Turret is a little wonky, though and I am decidedly not a fan. 

Atago still suffers a bit because of her age and Eugen's recent tweaking has made her a real contender.  Add all that to the fact that I have very well skilled German captains and not very well skilled Japanese, my Eugen gets lots more play.

-R

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles
23 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Am very interested in purchasing one of these and was wondering which ship is the better buy? I've been enjoying cruiser play at tier 6 and 7 and I think a tier 8 premium would fit nicely. TIA

If you want it to train captains. The Prince has added captain bonus and a cool eagle camo you can buy.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Members
2,122 posts

Atago is very fragile... Takes a lot of WASD. Prinz Eugen is a lot better at taking damage and it's AA doesn't suck like Atago's. 

Prinz Eugen only real draw back are it's guns. Atago has thin armor, big citadel, crap AA and weak rudder.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,038 posts
9,786 battles
1 minute ago, MorbidGamer said:

Atago is very fragile... Takes a lot of WASD. Prinz Eugen is a lot better at taking damage and it's AA doesn't suck like Atago's. 

Prinz Eugen only real draw back are it's guns. Atago has thin armor, big citadel, crap AA and weak rudder.

I forgot about the rudder.  If you go with Atago, LS is recommended.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I have both.  I only play Prinz Eugen.  I'd go that route.

But I'd also echo the comment that was also made.  Tier 8 cruiser play is tough.  It's a world away from Tier 6/7 play, so be ready.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,438 battles

Late game the Atago is a more valuable ship due to it's concealment and speed - you can cap when ship count on both sides is reduced.

Prinz Eugen is a more survivable ship and is less taxing to play for newer players.  Based on the fact that you are at tiers 6/7 right now, the Eugen will be less frustrating for you to master.  As you gain skill, the Atago will provide more versatility.  As far as Clan Battles go, the German Hindenburg is a staple on every team,  the IJN Zao is less used, though some teams are trying to make the new longer torps work as a flanker style ship.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,854 battles
1 hour ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Atago is a sneaky ship with excellent torpedoes and arcs. 

If you are spec'd out right, and are very careful, you can actually play the Atago as a DD because it can stealth fire torpedoes. The Atago has more torps than a Shimakaze.

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,199 battles

Both are pretty good.

If you want good gun versatility and torpedoes, go Atago. However, PE is a lot tankier. I think it has the highest hit pool of any Tier VIII CL/CA. And it has heal. *well, so does Atago, but still*

I personally have PE. She's good. She can stay in a battle a lot longer than Atago thanks to the ability to regain lost health. However, because she is tanky, she is slow and can be seen from quite a ways out. Her AP is also a little iffy. It will bounce a lot, but when it pens, it pens hard. Oh, and the HE don't do much, in ways of fires.

I'd say chose speed, stealth, and torps or tanky diet Battleship. Both are fun from what I hear, but I went for PE personally.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,174 posts
18,873 battles
1 hour ago, MorbidGamer said:

With the T10 special module missions you are bottom tier for quite a time. Armor of both isn’t worth anything when you are hit by a T9+ BB. The PE is the better brawler vs. cruiser since she has a turtleback. The Atago has the much better HE. The lower detection range helps you to engage the enemy at your rules. While it’s hard to really stealth torp in a Atago it works as a areal denial weapon. With the torpedo range you can torp into the path of a enemy and turn away without that he know what’s coming. The PE is the better alround ship. You can either use the superior German hydro or turn her into a AA ship. Both can punish most cruisers with their AP, the PE has the slightly better shell trajectory. 

So it’s up to the ship lines you are grinding/play often. The Atago requires more skill. At the end it’s the captain behind the screen that makes the ship. There were enough player that gave their Belfast and MK back when they had the chance because they couldn’t make them work.

Members
94 posts
1,370 battles

I've got the atago to train my ijn ca line, shes a darn sexy ship, guns are good, heal, torps and sneaky. Stay in the back and out of range. I put the AA flag on when I use her 

Plus shes sexy 

[INTEL]
Members
638 posts
7,548 battles

I'd echo most of what's already been said as I have both. 

The PE is more the more forgiving of the two and is an easy transition from other cruisers, especially German cruisers.  Having a heal in a cruiser at T8 is nice.  You can take some risks and not have to worry about being obliterated easily.  It also sets you up well to play the Roon and Hindenburg as they are tougher but the play is similar. 

The Atago is more fun to play but she's also very fragile and therefore can be frustrating when you are detected and getting pounded on.  The torps are long range and are often best used as area-denial in the way I play her.   They are also a very good defensive weapon against battleships and other cruisers that are hunting you.  If you can master a style of play that suits her, she'll be very rewarding to play.  Otherwise, you'll be very frustrated.  Even with a heal, the Atago can be taken down very quickly if you can't get out of detection range.

[WFR]
Members
433 posts

I would play at t8 before buying a t8.

t8 gameplay represents another shift in battle tactics.

and you'll experience being bottom tier with a few t10 ships around. that might heavily influence your decision.

Edited by SinisterSe7en