You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Question about Shell Damage

10 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Ok I am familiar with the ribbons and mechanics when a shell gets full pen, over pens, shatters, or Bounces. Have been noticing something odd though, I will get 1 or more full pen hits on a target and yet no damage added to my damage counter? Most of the other hits that show full pen add to the damage counter, but sometimes some shell hits will not. Is this a bug or are they doing damage to the main turrets without showing damaged module ribbons? Been happening recently and just got curious so thought I would ask.

[RMRGD]
Members
186 posts
16,950 battles

Seen a lot of this.   It comes down to spaced armor I think the CCs dubbed it that.    The french have a great deal of it.  You can take full pen hits and do no damage.    It won't happen a lot but it does happen.  Spaced armor is a empty space like a torp buldge that soaks up the damage.   I dont know if it has an HP pool or not.   Do be honest the devs never officially confirmed it that i know of.    iChase did a video on it    I assume this is what you are having happen.

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
452 posts
5,575 battles

This indicates you are getting full pen damage on an external module such as a secondary turret and is not penetrating the main hull or superstructure.  External modules have separate hp counters from the main hull and do not count toward the full hp indicated.

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Thanks guys, considering the fact I really questioned what was happening when I was a using good BBs and scoring what looked like really solid hits, I doubt Spaced Armor is the culprit since that would likely just lessen the damage or bounce or shatter my hits.

The hitting Modules that contain their own HP does make sense since I suspected that was what was happening.

[CAST]
Members
1,215 posts
7,414 battles

Its frustrating when that happens.  I have done it on many occasions.  I had a game where one salvo netted me 4 penetrations for 0 damage.  Sometimes it is due to damage saturation in the area where the shells hit, and sometimes it is due to spaced armor or other damage areas.

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles
54 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

-snip

As a fair amount of people here have said, you're damaging modules.  This is most seen on higher tier BBs, due to the number of secondaries they have, but can happen on just about any ship.  Any module that can be knocked out has its own distinct health bar.  When you get a pen into those modules, you generally destroy it, without doing any damage to the main health of the ship.  Module damage is not tracked specifically.  

You could also be penetrating a main battery gun, which will temporarily disable it or knock it out completely.  Most of the time when you pen spaced armor and deal no damage, you pen the first armor plate, but do not make it through the second armor plate.  I've found these to be more rare than hitting a secondary gun, but it does happen.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,815 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok I am familiar with the ribbons and mechanics when a shell gets full pen, over pens, shatters, or Bounces. Have been noticing something odd though, I will get 1 or more full pen hits on a target and yet no damage added to my damage counter? Most of the other hits that show full pen add to the damage counter, but sometimes some shell hits will not. Is this a bug or are they doing damage to the main turrets without showing damaged module ribbons? Been happening recently and just got curious so thought I would ask.

Could be hitting areas of the ship that have damage saturation.

[WOLF6]
Members
65 posts
2,140 battles

You also might like the video WoWs' How it Works: Hit Points that explains how various parts of the ship have their own hit point pools and how it works in regards to the overall hit points pool of the ship.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
353 posts
5,209 battles

I think my record has been 5 pens in a single volley for 0 damage.  It really is frustrating when you get good dispersion on target, but see that it was all for nothing.