You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GoldPile

Something seems off about cap XP

16 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles

I don't remember 2 solo caps netting this low of an XP gain. If there was a recent change meant to make players play the objective more... it has the opposite effect as it stands.

84rQw1j.jpg

rNHnr7H.jpg

Dq4m4Ie.jpg

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

At one point a cap was worth more than a kill. It doesn't seem like that is the case anymore.

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
20,099 posts
5,353 battles

My suspicion that I picked up from someone else was that cap XP is a multiplier: it multiplies your base XP from damage. From what I see, you may have hit only a BB or a few CAs with high HP pools, thus the multiplier only gives little XP.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,095 posts
6,729 battles

It's always felt to me that capping is more of a multiplier than actual "raw" xp.

I don't know if that's true or not but it seems the only time capping dramatically effects my resulting base xp is when I do a lot of other things, too, in which case I get monstrous base xp. I've had games like this too with multiple solo caps, tons of spotting damage, and pretty bad xp.

One thing here is most of your damage was to that tier VIII bismark, so the damage isn't really that meaningful, but still.. 

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles

I'm not sure the cap is a multiplier.  I have been in games where I couldn't get any torp damage in my DD, and didn't want to open up my guns due to the opponent's cruiser locations.  In these games, I still managed to get pretty good base XP only by capping and spotting.  Granted, doing a lot of damage gives you better XP, but getting not bad XP for just capping is acceptable.  I also think the 1st cap gives more base XP than the 2nd cap.  This could be just my imagination, but I think I saw it mentioned a while ago that its a declining rate of return, where each successive cap you get gives less XP than the previous one.  

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,357 battles

The game is about Damage, raw Unadulterated damage,  WG doesn't think "Team Play and Objective play" are a thing that makes sense :cap_popcorn:

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,592 battles

I've noticed that capping and spotting damage has been wonky as hell in some of my games.  I don't have Screenshots handy, but I can remember a game where I got 3 solo caps, with around 100k of spotting damage while only doing about 10k damage total.  We won, and I had around 1800 base XP.  Next game, 2 solo caps, 80k spotting damage with 35k damage, entirely to DDs, only got me 1100 base XP in a win.  The math just doesn't make much sense to me.  

[ZR]
Members
958 posts
11,277 battles
49 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

You get full XP for the first cap (this was lowered a while back BTW) and for each additional cap you recieve less and less rewards.

WG things.

This.  Diversification will get you the most base xp.  Get a cap, some spotting damge, potential damage, kill one DD, BB, CA/CL, shoot down like 15-20 planes, get some resets, and have a decent amount of percentage damage.
That will net you really high base xp.

Edited by MountainManxDan

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
53 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

You get full XP for the first cap (this was lowered a while back BTW) and for each additional cap you recieve less and less rewards.

WG things.

That sounds right, but it seems to me there's enough information available to where they should be able to improve on that. For instance sinking ships/capping while behind on points shouldn't have a diminishing returns, imo.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles

I wish diversification was easy with the Shimakaze. :Smile_sad:

Can't really shoot down planes, potential damage pretty much nets you jack squat (I can I get 5 million potential in Musashi & have it be worth pitiful bonuses), capping doesn't necessarily mean you get the best torp positions, if I wanted to farm damage that match I'd go to a side & farm BBs but it might've resulted in a loss. The sad part is that playstyle probably would've netted me more rewards than actively trying to win e.g. playing the objective. Spotting damage... we had a competent CV that match so he did most of the spotting, don't think it's worth that much either from my limited observations.

I think WG should up the rewards for capping to get people to actually... cap. You have to wade through planes, other DDs, radar, & torps in a risky maneuver to solo cap or just cap. Heck the red team gave first blood trying to do the same thing. I'm somewhat saddened that I should just farm damage instead of playing to win to get the most out of my games. Cap XP was fine when it was worth a lot.

Edited by GoldPile

[VFW]
Members
929 posts
21,136 battles
2 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

I wish diversification was easy with the Shimakaze. :Smile_sad:

Can't really shoot down planes, potential damage pretty much nets you jack squat (I can I get 5 million potential in Musashi & have it be worth pitiful bonuses), capping doesn't necessarily mean you get the best torp positions, if I wanted to farm damage that match I'd go to a side & farm BBs but it might've resulted in a loss. The sad part is that playstyle probably would've netted me more rewards than actively trying to win e.g. playing the objective. Spotting damage... we had a competent CV that match so he did most of the spotting, don't think it's worth that much either from my limited observations.

I think WG should up the rewards for capping to get people to actually... cap. You have to wade through planes, other DDs, radar, & torps in a risky maneuver to solo cap or just cap. Heck the red team gave first blood trying to do the same thing. I'm somewhat saddened that I should just farm damage instead of playing to win to get the most out of my games. Cap XP was fine when it was worth a lot.

So true on many points made.

vr,

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

As the game has gotten progressively tougher around the caps, the XP and rewards have been regressing for playing the caps. It's quite the formula at work.

Members
1,731 posts
9,857 battles
7 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

As the game has gotten progressively tougher around the caps, the XP and rewards have been regressing for playing the caps. It's quite the formula at work.

WG secretly supports no cap kill all.

• Funny 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

WG secretly supports no cap kill all.

One could certainly jump to that conclusion with how the rewards have been structured. 

People wonder why over time teamplay and the cap game have gotten worse and worse, but over that same time it appears rewards for the job have also eroded.