You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WhiteRecon

Alabama or Massachusetts??

61 comments in this topic

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles

Pretty straight forward:

Had to yank my NC Captain to move to USN CL line.  I don't drive NC enough to want to grind another Captain for her. 

I have 19 point DM and Monty Captains ready, which T8 USN premium BB should I get to replace NC?

What sucks is that NC is the better ship, right?

Edited by WhiteRecon

[1NJS]
Members
365 posts
2,154 battles
5 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

From what I'm seeing the Mass is better than the Bama in the right hands.

But the Alabama has better AA and sigma...

I have better luck in my Alabama than my Massachusetts for some reason. :S

Alpha Tester
10,261 posts
4,594 battles
15 minutes ago, DevilFreak_ said:

But the Alabama has better AA and sigma...

I have better luck in my Alabama than my Massachusetts for some reason. :S

I don't own either I'm going solely off of what sinks me more.

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
1,594 posts
3,811 battles

Mass is pretty much a buffed Alabama with less accuracy. They really should do something to make Alabama on par with Mass. I find it to be very silly not to have considered the impact of making one ship better than the other. I guess money matters more than customer loyalty to them idk.

• Cool 1

Members
1 post
6 hours ago, landedkiller said:

Mass is pretty much a buffed Alabama with less accuracy. They really should do something to make Alabama on par with Mass. I find it to be very silly not to have considered the impact of making one ship better than the other. I guess money matters more than customer loyalty to them idk.

They took the Sigma too low on the Mass. 1.7 is foolish.

[PVE]
Members
7,233 posts
12,486 battles

Overall it is the same ship but with different playstyles. Alabama plays like a traditional US BB which is medium to longer range (not camping and sniping!) gunnery and excellent AA. Mass is a close range brawler with good secondary guns, pretty bad main gun accuracy, and less effective AA (still good AA but you have built for secondary's on it not AA like Bama and the other US BB's).

I have both and enjoy them both. I find Alabama to be the better of the 2 or at least I do better in it anyway. The horribad accuracy of Mass really hurts (even in close - think KM BB accuracy but worse). If you like to brawl then the Mass would be a better choice. If you prefer more traditional US BB play and the great AA then go Bama. Or just get both.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,376 posts
15,868 battles
16 hours ago, WhiteRecon said:

Pretty straight forward:

Had to yank my NC Captain to move to USN CL line.  I don't drive NC enough to want to grind another Captain for her. 

I have 19 point DM and Monty Captains ready, which T8 USN premium BB should I get to replace NC?

What sucks is that NC is the better ship, right?

Your DM captain traits should fit right in with Alabama, if your build incorporated AA elements.  Just make sure 'Bama has AAGM2 installed and you're good to go.

Massachusetts heavily leans towards Manual Secondaries.  Some want IFHE on top of that.  These traits are what's not on your DM captain.

NC

+ Superior Sigma of the 3 USN BBs in Tier VIII.

+ Best High Tier USN BB Stealth of 11.8km

AL

+ Vastly superior turning capabilities.  Think of how well the USN Standard BBs liked to turn well.  But they sucked with 21kt speeds.  Now take the USN Standards like CO, NM turning capabilities and plug in NC's 27kt speed.  That's what you get.

+ As a SD-class BB, has one of the highest TDS values in the game.

+ Shortest hull BB of High Tier - Less to hit.  Combine with her turning capability, can torpedo beat extremely well.

MASS

+ Best USN BB Secondaries in the game.

+ Same turning and size characteristics as Alabama.

- Unreliable guns.  Try playing Tier VIII-X matches and not being able to get into secondaries range.  Feel what Bismarck players feel in a Tier X match.

It may seem like MASS is the better between her and AL, but AL is not reliant on being in secondaries range to do her best work.  Her Sigma may not be as good as NC, but it's not anywhere approaching mediocre, either.

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles

Good info, thanks all.  Watched Flamu's reviews too.

Massachusetts looks fun, but not 50 bucks fun and it needs its own Captain. 

Alabama; I prefer NC guns and I think it turns fine.

I have enough inaccurate BBs.  I will just keep NC and throw a scrub Captain in it until I have extra Elite XP someday (too many <19 pointers lately). 

See you all out there!

Edited by WhiteRecon

[DACO]
Members
178 posts
10,864 battles

Mammy all the way.  My Alabama cannot achieve this...

shot-18.07.12_13.49.31-0763.jpg

Edited by _ECSO_Sgt_088
grammar
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
103 posts
2,457 battles
2 hours ago, _ECSO_Sgt_088 said:

Mammy all the way.  My Alabama cannot achieve this...

shot-18.07.12_13.49.31-0763.jpg

605 secondary hits lol

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
539 posts
5,203 battles

If you are grinding a BB captain, the Alabama.

If you are grinding a DD captain, the Massachusetts.

Members
103 posts
2,457 battles

everyone complaining about the guns on the mass but i see no problem been doing the same if not more damage with the Mamie then my Bama and i really loved my Bama

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,232 battles

I own both. Admiral Thunder's analysis is right on on both the Bama and the Mass.   The one thing I will tell you is that the Massachusetts is a lot more fun to play.

[TDD]
Members
1,012 posts
8,219 battles

Alabama will serve you better I think. it is more like the NC.... Mass strength is it's secondaries and it's pretty easy to stay out of it's secondary range which takes away it's bigest selling point. imo

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles
On 7/12/2018 at 6:36 PM, NK_33 said:

If you are grinding a BB captain, the Alabama.

If you are grinding a DD captain, the Massachusetts.

Great idea.  I never went USN DD line, have Mahan unlocked. 

I actually have a Z-39 Captain that rolls my Prinz too.

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles
9 hours ago, nina_blain_73 said:

Alabama will serve you better I think. it is more like the NC.... Mass strength is it's secondaries and it's pretty easy to stay out of it's secondary range which takes away it's bigest selling point. imo

You guys have max range on 2nds figured out?

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

If you want to play a random battle or ranked battle then you are better off using a Alabama that force on a long range and keep a human player not to gang up on you, the massachusetts is a fun for secondary gun battle, but it's not going a work when fighting a human player, maybe the coop battle or fighting  a bot, then Massachuetts is hand down a fun, but fighting a human player, Alabama is better off to use. almost a every battle massachusetts got sink too easy because I was try to tanking close to team who mostly stay together and use a secondary gun on human player at same time, but a human player often keep away from 12 km from your secondary gun and a gang up on massachusetts then it's quick sink like like no tomorrow. 

Edited by Humility925
  • Bad 1

Members
1,718 posts
9,141 battles

Hey

I already have the Alabama and enjoy it very much, so I passed on the Mass.  I prefer to count on my main guns instead of counting on getting into secondary range.  Just like with my Bismarck and Tirpitz.  secondary's on the Tirpitz are fun but you have to be able to get close.  At least the Germans have better brawling armor.

Pete

Members
917 posts
9,411 battles
2 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I already have the Alabama and enjoy it very much, so I passed on the Mass.  I prefer to count on my main guns instead of counting on getting into secondary range.  Just like with my Bismarck and Tirpitz.  secondary's on the Tirpitz are fun but you have to be able to get close.  At least the Germans have better brawling armor.

Pete

Fo shizzle - 2nds are fun but Dev Strikes are better. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
224 posts
4,530 battles

I think the short heal cooldown on the Mass is more important than the secondaries. I have found it allows me to get in closer and stay there longer than any other battleship, provided I dont mess up my positioning. I do run the risk of burning through all the heals quickly and getting sunk but I have found that I can slow an enemy push long enough for my team on the other flank to break through and either kill everything or hold caps long enough to secure a points win. 

Statistically speaking though, I am better in Alabama. Sample size could be bigger for both ships though so take it for what its worth.

[AAA]
Members
546 posts
6,462 battles

If you play the NC well and have a 19 pt Monty capt, Bama all the way.

mass requires it’s own spec capt