You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lensar

Spotter Planes Gone Wild

11 comments in this topic

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,625 battles

Maybe I'm just crazy, but has anyone else noticed that spotter planes seem to be behaving weirdly?

Are they incrementally increasing the distance they orbit around a ship each patch, maybe? Or is it something else.

I swear at times they seem to have a mind of their own.

• Bad 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,934 battles

god I hate that pestilence known as 'fighters or spotter planes' I remember last night playing I counted 16 of them buzzing around what I was trying to torp ffs took forever to get any to land

[SBS]
Members
3,776 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, GuntherPrein said:

god I hate that pestilence known as 'fighters or spotter planes' I remember last night playing I counted 16 of them buzzing around what I was trying to torp ffs took forever to get any to land

And people try to say catapult planes are no counter to DDs.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,518 posts
9,453 battles
55 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

And people try to say catapult planes are no counter to DDs.

I know, right?  those things ruin more ambush attempts.  I take a lot of pleasure shooting them down.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,466 posts
9,441 battles
1 hour ago, Lensar said:

Maybe I'm just crazy, but has anyone else noticed that spotter planes seem to be behaving weirdly?

Are they incrementally increasing the distance they orbit around a ship each patch, maybe? Or is it something else.

I swear at times they seem to have a mind of their own.

I dont see anything unusual. You simply made a blunder.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,625 battles
11 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

I dont see anything unusual. You simply made a blunder.

You should watch the minimap.

This has nothing to do with me or what I did. (we won, I survived) It's the distance and erratic behavior of the spotting planes that was concerning.

[-GPF-]
Members
768 posts
4,089 battles

That's why when I play Enterprise I kill as many catapult fighters as I can to help the DDs out.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,852 posts
7,253 battles

After watching your video I can explain what happened. @Lensar

The enemy ship was running direction center for catapult aircraft. One plane will be flying clockwise while the other counterclockwise. You can see it happening once the first one disappears and the second one is flying towards you from the other direction.

It should be noted that spotter planes fly 4.3km out from the parent ship. To maintain concealment I suggest keeping a safe distance of ~7.6km from the spotter plane ship if you see one approaching.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,625 battles
On 7/9/2018 at 8:00 AM, GoldPile said:

After watching your video I can explain what happened. @Lensar

The enemy ship was running direction center for catapult aircraft. One plane will be flying clockwise while the other counterclockwise. You can see it happening once the first one disappears and the second one is flying towards you from the other direction.

It should be noted that spotter planes fly 4.3km out from the parent ship. To maintain concealment I suggest keeping a safe distance of ~7.6km from the spotter plane ship if you see one approaching.

Do they always fly 4.3 out? In the first instance, I was completely flummoxed over where it's parent ship was, given how far and oddly they seemed to be flying.

For the record, I was spotted by a shima and not the planes, it was just bizarre having to pull such evasive manuevers to avoid planes that came out of no where.

There is no reason spotter planes shouldn't have high detectability so people can see them and plan accordingly. This is another issue the warships design team needs to be dinged on, along with with zeroing out spotting XP and all the other low hanging fruit they avoid addressing.

Edited by Lensar

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,939 battles

Planes have a render range of like 8 to 10km except when in cyclones. Unless you're getting surprised by the cruiser, you should have plenty of time to see any catapult plane before it sees you.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,625 battles
3 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

Planes have a render range of like 8 to 10km except when in cyclones. Unless you're getting surprised by the cruiser, you should have plenty of time to see any catapult plane before it sees you.

8 to 10k means the planes are out of sight if on the far side of the cruiser, so yeah it's pretty big deal. They should show up on the map at a min of 15k, probably 20.