Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MacArthursPipe

Island Camping with HE spam

16 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
1,176 battles

Hello. I am quite sure I will be subject to two things here for what I am about to post.

1. Players will say I just need to "get gud"

2. Players will tell me that WG is not going to do anything about this, so I need to do #1.

Now that I have that nonsense out of the way, here is my issue.

WG has to do something about the players who park their cruisers against an island and start spamming HE. You get multiple Cruisers together doing that and NO ONE is going to survive a barrage like that, regardless of skill or tier. I have had that happen to me multiple times and I am sure I am not alone in my frustration. It is game breaking tbh. Perhaps assigning damage for parking against islands like that after a specific timeframe?

• Boring 2

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,339 posts
15,070 battles

tsk tsk tsk you too can get a cruiser and do likewise But that would be too easy

Members
14 posts
1,176 battles
6 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

tsk tsk tsk you too can get a cruiser and do likewise But that would be too easy

lol even if the islands are beyond range of each other? Perhaps I'm lumping all cruisers together unfairly. There are cruisers that spam primary fire without the aid of cover just fine, but when you have a range advantage AND speed advantage, how fair is it to camp? I don't have one, but I have seen Yamatos fall to groups of Cruisers who send so much up it looks like fireworks.

Edited by MacArthursPipe
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
9 minutes ago, MacArthursPipe said:

Hello. I am quite sure I will be subject to two things here for what I am about to post.

2. Players will tell me that WG is not going to do anything about this, so I need to do #1.

WG has to do something about the players who park their cruisers against an island and start spamming HE. You get multiple Cruisers together doing that and NO ONE is going to survive a barrage like that, regardless of skill or tier. I have had that happen to me multiple times and I am sure I am not alone in my frustration. It is game breaking tbh. Perhaps assigning damage for parking against islands like that after a specific timeframe?

this is classic warships u sail to an island and u park. Then unload all the HE onto ships. If your a altanta or mino/worchester here is your new home.

Members
14 posts
1,176 battles
3 minutes ago, 5D_Kitakami_Megatron said:

this is classic warships u sail to an island and u park. Then unload all the HE onto ships. If your a altanta or mino/worchester here is your new home.

You misunderstand. I'm okay with it when one ship does it. When you have 3 or 4 hiding in the same spot and unloading, that's a game breaker and WILL cause people to stop playing. Just saying. WG needs to be careful with that aspect of it. Players have left games before over similar situations and caused those games to lose large portions of their playerbases.

Edited by MacArthursPipe

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,733 battles
Just now, MacArthursPipe said:

You misunderstand. I'm okay when one ship does it. When you have 3 or 4 hiding in the same spot and unloading, that's a game breaker and will cause people to stop playing. Just saying. WG needs to be careful with that aspect of it.

The counter is an open water sniper that can dodge shells thrown her way.

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles

It does suck encountering this, especially as they are usually supported enough that you can't push around and get them either, or at least not without solid support.

The hide and shoot method is, however, very popular with a large number of players so it won't be going away any time soon.  They did at least help with the sitting in smoke meta when detectability after firing was finally added, as well as the removal of invisifiring.  Once upon a time not so long ago we had to deal with all that at once; HE literally coming from all over the damn map and you couldn't see a single ship firing it.

[ARP2]
Members
1,364 posts
3,637 battles

You think thats bad?  Last week my team had my Yamato and another Yamato hiding behind an island lobbing  18, 18.1 inch shells over it every 30 seconds or so.  The enemy team couldnt seem to take the cap point we were defending for some reason.  Was good fun, would do again.

Members
411 posts

*Holds impulse to say git gud*

My advice to you is to keep a safe distance away from caps, keep moving, and get into a position that gives you shots that flank the island. Blaming the game does nothing, finding a counterplay does something.

That is all.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Why is git gud nonsense?

You still need to learn the game mechanics, like concealment for example. 

But before I write an essay of 10-pages about how to deal with fires I’d like to suggest to get such a cruiser and do it yourself. Easiest way to learn from :)

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,009 battles

Play BB go wide and hope your DD spots instead of flails then you will git Cits and tearz

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,072 battles

It's an unfortunate necessity for a lot of cruisers to do this (as someone who loves the Atlanta and Des Moines, I do a lot of it) but the minute you start open water firing with no cover, you get blapped instantly. It really is the best way to play the ships. 

It is extremely annoying to be on the other end of it, though. 

Members
102 posts
8,818 battles
15 hours ago, MacArthursPipe said:

Alternative option, you can learn how to handle this within the context of the game.  If you sit in open water without support, you will be spammed by cruisers that remain undetected when they can, that's fair.  If a battleship can one shot cruisers, the cruisers can tag you for 4k every 10 seconds while you are where you aren't supposed to be.  What are cruisers supposed to do? Sail out into open water broadside and make it easy for you?  Engage battleships in gun duels?  If you want to counter cruisers camping behind islands use your teammates for support.  Tell your dds to flank them to spot them, or flank them yourself, or pop your spotter plane and shoot at where the shells are coming from (regardless if you can see the target).  Should battleships get a health penalty whenever they get a citadel? No, that's just ridiculous, so why should cruisers get penalized for using their stealth and the environment to contribute to the fight without risking themselves?  That's the definition of a smart play.  WG doesn't need to do anything because it's not a problem.  Players just need to start treating this as a game and start learning how to play within the mechanics of the game.  There's a reason t10 battleship players are out there averaging 160k a game.   If you need help figuring these things out, ask.  There will always be experienced members in the community willing to help.

Sign in to follow this