You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

DD Line / DDs for a total DD potato?

53 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

So I've played a bit over 4,000 battles and realized that I've never really played any destroyers. Many better players have suggested to me that by mastering destroyer gameplay I will greatly improve as a player overall. Destroyers have always been the mystery class to me because I just don't really get how they work. If I have to run away from battleships in a cruiser, it seems that in a destroyer I have to run away from both cruisers and battleships. Since I am used to CA and BB guns, DD guns feel quite weak to me at this point. However, I would like to get my hands on a couple of destroyers and would like your advice on which line / lines, or any premiums that are good for a beginner.

My play style is quite aggressive but recently with all the games I've played in the Atlanta and Helena, I've sort of gotten into the island hugging gun boat kind of playstyle. However, aggression still comes first. I prefer to be as aggressive as early as I can, but before that I'd also take pleasure in spamming shells behind cover. Do you think IFHE and Demolition Expert, as well as CE, are necessary for DDs?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,388 posts
12,745 battles

I'd go with USN.  Their torpedoes aren't always wonderful, but they are cap bullies.  other DDs generally do not want any part of USN DDs at close range.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

VMF.  Most idiot-proof line in the game, aside from German battleships.  Pretty much indifferent to radar or being spotted at all.  Just orbit the perimeter of wherever the fighting is occurring and set fires all day.  Forget you even have torpedoes.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

For me, it's been German destroyers. Torps reload fairly quick, good guns, great health, decent stealth. Smoke is weak, but smoke hasn't been too useful in the radar rich environment.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles

It's all about what you see yourself doing. USN line is cap contesting mid range gun fighters, IJN are stealthy ninja torp botes, Russian botes are speedy gun botes that rely on speed over smoke.

It really depends on what you want to do. Knife fight? Spot? Cap? Torp from a distance?

Members
1,376 posts
8,793 battles

I'd also recommend USN DD's for a beginner.  Their lower and mid tier ships are good at fighting other DD's out of caps and ships like the Clemson, Nicholas and Farragut can all be really fun bullies.  I found the mid-tier German and Russian DD's to be much less enjoyable than the mid-tier USN boats.  At higher tiers, they transition to a more stealthy and torpedo-focused playstyle. 

As for captain skills, you do not need IFHE for any DD's except the Akizuki and upcoming successors.  You will have to aim at the superstructure of BB's and CA's to damage them, though.  Demolition Expert is reasonably useful.  CE is mandatory.

Edited by Vaidency
  • Cool 1

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles
7 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

It's all about what you see yourself doing. USN line is cap contesting mid range gun fighters, IJN are stealthy ninja torp botes, Russian botes are speedy gun botes that rely on speed over smoke.

It really depends on what you want to do. Knife fight? Spot? Cap? Torp from a distance?

Hmmm I like a line that can knife fight, but can also lob shells over terrain when it's not yet time to push.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,802 posts
4,579 battles

First of all, it's always important to be patient in a DD. Knowing when to fire and when not is paramount. If you just want to shoot and scoot, VMF DDs are pretty good, though it isn't really a  classic DD playstyle at higher tiers. USN DDs are pretty forgiving, with almost no real stinkers along the line. As @cometguy said however, German DDs are nice jack of all trades ships, with Hydro from Tier VI onwards giving them an edge in cap contesting.

As for skills, IFHE isn't needed 90% of the time, with the exception of the Akizuki as people have already said. What is mandatory however is having Last Stand. Instead of Demolition Expert (that is useful some DDs) most DD Commanders scale very well with Survivability Expert, regardless of nation. Because it's a flat amount you get (350hp per tier), as you progress the tiers the skills becomes even better. It can give you some breathing room in knifefights vs DDs and some extra survivability with the rest of the classes.

Hope it helps. 

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles
1 minute ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Hmmm I like a line that can knife fight, but can also lob shells over terrain when it's not yet time to push.

I love my Sims for shooting over islands and denying areas with sea mines ( slow [edited] 51k torps that are hard to dodge for some reason )

US line is good at that. Russian line has flatter trajectory and IJN guns are okay but they don't make it over islands.

Kidd can do it as well.

Edited by xalmgrey

Members
62 posts
4,995 battles
5 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I see. I am a bit worried about the low fire chance of DD guns though, not sure which line suffers less / doesn't suffer at all from this problem.

It's not the the outright fire chance that is important, it's rate of fire. When you can get 200 hits in a game, you set plenty of fires. That said, German DDs are the worst of the bunch there. For setting fires go USN or Russian.

Edited by andarragh21
incomplete

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
200 posts

I am playing all the lines to T8 before making a decision on which to continue with.  It's really a personal decision of which DD suits you best.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,213 posts
14,118 battles

Haida. 

Leningrad.

Z39.

Lo Yang

IJN torpedo line tier 2 to 3 and 8 to 10.

Russian, tier 3 and 4. Minsk, Kieve, trashcan and Udoloi. 

German, t-22, z28, z52.

Us, tier 4 and 5, 8 to 10.

Pan Asain, Ghadja, T 9 & 10.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,420 posts
3,174 battles
5 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Haida. 

Leningrad.

Z39.

Lo Yang

IJN torpedo line tier 2 to 3 and 8 to 10.

Russian, tier 3 and 4. Minsk, Kieve, trashcan and Udoloi. 

German, t-22, z28, z52.

Us, tier 4 and 5, 8 to 10.

Pan Asain, Ghadja, T 9 & 10.

I have Haida.

Haida is a rough one to recommend to someone new to DD's tho. She's a great boat if there's no radar to kill her gimmick of creeping smoke. It's not near as agile as most DD and its guns are hilarious at anything over 9k just making yourself a creeping target. Up close they are monsters but that's asking a lot. Torps are decent by themselves but only 4 (single fire optional )with a 90 sec reload makes it situational. Great for bow on ships rushing smoke. Weird [edited]firing angles to her guns though.

Edited by xalmgrey

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,261 posts
15,028 battles

Quality dd play takes the following:

you have to know; torp ranges. torp reload, detection levels, gun ranges, gun reload, who has radar, who has hydro,  how long does each last, how far does it extend. Can I out gun him or should a run.... playing dd is much more of an art rather than a ship. Just my .02

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,213 posts
14,118 battles
1 hour ago, xalmgrey said:

I have Haida.

Haida is a rough one to recommend to someone new to DD's tho. She's a great boat if there's no radar to kill her gimmick of creeping smoke. It's not near as agile as most DD and its guns are hilarious at anything over 9k just making yourself a creeping target. Up close they are monsters but that's asking a lot. Torps are decent by themselves but only 4 (single fire optional )with a 90 sec reload makes it situational. Great for bow on ships rushing smoke. Weird [edited]firing angles to her guns though.

He said he plays aggressive. She is best played aggressive. No easy, but the best tier 7 anti-destroyer.

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
3 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

So I've played a bit over 4,000 battles and realized that I've never really played any destroyers. Many better players have suggested to me that by mastering destroyer gameplay I will greatly improve as a player overall. Destroyers have always been the mystery class to me because I just don't really get how they work. If I have to run away from battleships in a cruiser, it seems that in a destroyer I have to run away from both cruisers and battleships. Since I am used to CA and BB guns, DD guns feel quite weak to me at this point. However, I would like to get my hands on a couple of destroyers and would like your advice on which line / lines, or any premiums that are good for a beginner.

My play style is quite aggressive but recently with all the games I've played in the Atlanta and Helena, I've sort of gotten into the island hugging gun boat kind of playstyle. However, aggression still comes first. I prefer to be as aggressive as early as I can, but before that I'd also take pleasure in spamming shells behind cover. Do you think IFHE and Demolition Expert, as well as CE, are necessary for DDs?

I didn't have the time to read the whole thread, but Here's my take on it FWIW. Playing DD's with absolutely make you a better player in other types. My favorite has always been the US DD's because I like to mix it up and brawl. IMO they are still the best all around team play boats. But you mileage may vary.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles

For a new DD player, Russian DDs are the easiest to get into.  You basically play like a Light Cruiser spamming HE at range, and that's it.  It's so easy that a caveman can do it.  The only problem that arises with these DDs is that MM makes it where you're something like the only DD for the team.  Now you're expected to poke around caps and that's where RU DDs fall apart.  RU DDs are good in backing up another DD in the caps, but not playing the Cap Meta on their own.

Can't say too much about German DD Line.

That said, USN DDs are next easiest to get into.  IJN are the hardest to get into between RU, USN, and IJN DDs.  IJN, unless you play Akizuki, are wholly reliant on stealth and torpedoes.

Another thing to get used to with Non-RU DDs is that it's a "Feast or Famine" style of play.  There are games where you are getting a huge amount of torpedo hits, kills, caps, being easily top scorer.  Then there can be games where you are lucky to get 1 torp hit.

Non-RU DDs are a very dangerous style of play.  It always has been.  It's not surprising after all, to see both sides' Destroyers all dead early on.  But you'll find that you can very well be the reason of your team's success.  I say again, it's WoWS tradition that if your DDs do well, everyone else on the team is literally riding on their coattails for success.  But if you as a DD fail, your team will definitely feel that poor play.  A stealthy Non-RU DD down to 1 HP can still carry the team to success.

Outside of Carriers, the Destroyer is easily, and IMO, the most important ship in the team.  Since Carriers are an uncommon sight, especially so as you go higher in the tiers, that leaves the Destroyer to be typically the most important ship.  If you like that idea of that much influence, give it a whirl.

Lastly:  Your survival as a DD is paramount.  DDs late in the game, unless a CV is around, become much more powerful.  Not in firepower, but what they do with speed, stealth, spotting, and capping.  Also, look to the skies.  That's where your most dangerous threats will come.  It's not the Radar Cruiser.  It's the bombers.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
7,401 battles

USN would be the obvious choice. Pick IJN if you want to learn the hard way, and they will certainly teach you to pay attention to spotting mechanics, how to use torpedoes, etc.

USN are basic cap fighters with poor torpedoes for the most part, until tier 9 (you get...servicable ones at 7 and 8) which may not translate well into properly learning some skills of piloting destroyers.

• Cool 1

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
410 posts
9,668 battles

I agree my NFA, start by USN DD is better to get a good base.

[FML]
Members
2,463 posts
11,866 battles

I would add my voice to USN DDs - they have rapid fire guns on quick turrets, torps with functional range (both unlike Soviet) and great smoke. Fun cap contesters. Good luck!

[SBS]
Members
3,782 posts
2,408 battles

My best advice is don't buy any premiums.  DDs aren't a play style for everyone and you might find out they aren't your style. Don't spend money to learn that lesson.  I wouldn't buy a premium until your reach at least T7 in a line you like.

I'd suggest you give all the lines a try.  You'll probably find low tier DDs fun because they can hold their own pretty well there.  You won't get a good idea of what DD play is really like until you get to at least T5, then it starts to change when you hit T7, then again when you reach 8-10 when you see radar every game.  Good luck and let us know how it works out. 

[NNC]
Members
13 posts
5,081 battles

I would actually suggest the Pan-Asia line of destroyers. Those capital-ship hunters are a good mix of IJN/US DDs with their own flavor of gameplay. You can stealth-torp with concealment expert, contest caps and engage lone DDs at the cost of not being able to torpedo DDs. Like everyone else has said though, it's all about learning the play style that you want to pursue. There's plenty of ships across all of the lines that perform like ones from another, but there is a "meta" to them in the end.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,597 posts

I would say USN. 

VMF are less affected by radar however

IJN are my favorite, but honestly mid tier never recovered from the nerfs and are painful to play