Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Mexib

The gun fight, IJN DD's and you.

4 comments in this topic

Members
706 posts
7,893 battles

Here are a few tips that help me in gun fights with my INJ DD's against other gun boat DD's. Some are not strictly gun related. 

1. Be a good shot. It's not so much about the rate of fire but who lands the most shots. The 6" IJN guns do good damage.
  2. Run the radio location skill. There are no good surprises and your guns are alway pointing the right way.  
  3. Never pick a fight you can't win. Are you going to take out the full health Kabby? I don't think so. Wait till there low on health to fight.
  4. Turn and burn knight fights are not your thing. Don't go there.
  5. Zigzag and wiggly to avoid being hit.
  6. Torpedos are part of your gun fighting strategy. Launch from stealth, then before the torpedos are detected, start shooting your guns as a distraction.
  7. Don't pick a fight in front of his backup. You want to fight just him, not the 2 Bellfasts with him. If possible fight in front of your backup.
  8. All battles should be conducted running away. Preferably towards your own team. Getting them to follow you cedes there ability to uses smoke or torpedos against you.
  9. Speed is life. Always run the speed flag  and have speed boosts available. "Feet don't fail me now" can save your ship.
  10. Sometimes the best gun fights are where you don't fire a shoot. Uses your stealth to keep them spotted for your team to shoot at. Chase them around if need be.

I'm sure there are some pro's out there who can add a thing or two.

Thanks.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,719 posts
9,439 battles

I especially like baiting the red DD's radar CRs into blowing theirs early on my smoke--their opening fire makes them visible to teammates.

Another is if the support is more than 5km away from the cap you're contesting, don't bother trying to take it. Lone DDs wither under concentrated fire.

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,652 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Mexib said:

Here are a few tips that help me in gun fights with my INJ DD's against other gun boat DD's. Some are not strictly gun related.

1. Be a good shot. It's not so much about the rate of fire but who lands the most shots. The 6" IJN guns do good damage.
  2. Run the radio location skill. There are no good surprises and your guns are alway pointing the right way. 
  3. Never pick a fight you can't win. Are you going to take out the full health Kabby? I don't think so. Wait till there low on health to fight.
  4. Turn and burn knight fights are not your thing. Don't go there.
  5. Zigzag and wiggly to avoid being hit.
  6. Torpedos are part of your gun fighting strategy. Launch from stealth, then before the torpedos are detected, start shooting your guns as a distraction.
  7. Don't pick a fight in front of his backup. You want to fight just him, not the 2 Bellfasts with him. If possible fight in front of your backup.
  8. All battles should be conducted running away. Preferably towards your own team. Getting them to follow you cedes there ability to uses smoke or torpedos against you.
  9. Speed is life. Always run the speed flag  and have speed boosts available. "Feet don't fail me now" can save your ship.
  10. Sometimes the best gun fights are where you don't fire a shoot. Uses your stealth to keep them spotted for your team to shoot at. Chase them around if need be.

I'm sure there are some pro's out there who can add a thing or two.

Thanks.

um... IJN DDs don't have 6" guns.

Anyway, sound advice. though there are some things that need to be mentioned

1: Higher rate of fire, on average means more shots on target. Unless the ship with the faster reload has crap aim, you're likely to get blown out of the water by a ship with a higher rate of fire.

2. RDF is a good skill to have, but you do not know if you're tracking a Destroyer or a Cruiser, or a Battleship. You only know the general location of the nearest ship to you.

3. Best advice right here, for any ship, not just destroyers.

4. knife* fight... Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo though their turning radius is garbage, are capable of ignoring this to an extent.

5. Akizuki Kitakaze and Harugumo can ignore this entirely, they don't wiggle very well (just looking at numbers, and Akizuki being my most played ship)

6. If you launch torpedoes, and then immediately open fire, the enemy DD will turn away or towards you, thereby causing your fish to miss. wait a short while after launching torpedoes, before firing.

7. CAs and BBs can benefit from this advice too.

8. Should be noted, that this is due to two aft turrets, rather than 2 bow turrets. Making IJN DDs really good kiters.

9. And run Last Stand Commander skill too.

10. Not a gun fight then, thus kind of irrelevant to how one should gun fight other destroyers in an IJN destroyer.

Sign in to follow this