You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

A most unusual and satisfying battle.

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
8,830 posts
4,180 battles

I want to memorialize this battle because it is unlike any I can recall in WoWs -- it played like a real naval battle.

5 BBs, 4 Cruisers, 3 DDs.  Tier 8.  Standard.  Trident map.

Screenshot_14.thumb.png.f64519f2e4b8225e549c7b0cd1eb3156.png

The match began as most matches do: probe for weak spots and try to establish position.  A group - New Mexico (me), Dallas, Helena, DD - pushed down on the E flank and ran into Abruzzi, a DD, and three BBs coming in the other direction.  Fortunately we were able to pull back without dying.  As I turned, I put some hurt on Queen Elizabeth.  The red team's push up the W flank with New Mexico and TIrpitz was likewise thwarted. 

Thereafter, both teams lined up mid-way to the center, forming battle lines to duel at range with guns.  Cruisers protected the big guys from charges and added fire support.  BBs fired AP salvos at the enemy battle line and frantically repaired damage.  For a long time the only losses were the initial ones -- 2 DDs for green, 1 DD + 1 CR for red.  I put some major hurt on N. Carolina and she turned out of the line and lost effectiveness.  Abruzzi threw fire bombs but we just couldn't hit him. 

Screenshot_16.thumb.png.d5641ffb6a5bacfa48f345cbb47e1c3b.png

Ultimately, the superior fire control of the greens took its toll.  Queen Elizabeth exploded, then two red DDs sank.  Eleven minutes gone someone signaled, "It's time to push." and the green team (except for a butthurt Fuso in the back) turned south and rolled up the reds.  Massachusetts and Roma each had three kills to top our team.  I got enough XP to finally unlock and buy Colorado.  (Pray for us, please.)

A good time was had by all things green ... except Fuso.  Practice your gunnery.

https://replayswows.com/replay/26129#stats

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Members
8,830 posts
4,180 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper said:

Always that Fuso in the back. :Smile_child:

Well, to be fair to him, Fuso can be seen from the moon so he was spotted and clobbered right at the beginning.  I guess he spent the rest of the match nursing his hit points and complaining.  IIRC he got respectable XP so he must have done something.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,793 posts
5,006 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Well, to be fair to him, Fuso can be seen from the moon so he was spotted and clobbered right at the beginning.

It also has the ‘sniper-shotgun’, so it can hit back from the moon, too.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
34 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

It also has the ‘sniper-sawed-off-shotgun’, so it can hit back from the moon, too.

FTFY

A picture of the Fuso's gunnery computer.

slot_machine_.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,642 posts
15,896 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

5 BBs, 4 Cruisers, 3 DDs.

That make up is nothing like a real battle, LOL! Congrats on getting your Colorado, I'll be looking for you in game with my Lyon.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,830 posts
4,180 battles

Now that's Diversity for you.

3 hours ago, Umikami said:

Congrats on getting your Colorado, I'll be looking for you in game with my Lyon.

Thanks.

I just got almost 100K in St. Louis.  You sure you want to dance?  :cap_rambo:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,642 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Now that's Diversity for you.

Thanks.

I just got almost 100K in St. Louis.  You sure you want to dance?  :cap_rambo:

It's not the ship, it's the driver. And it ain't like you'll be the first guy to ever sink me!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles

With the Fuso it can very much be the ship. Back in alpha I had a Cleveland at long range sailing in a straight line and I fired four full broadsides at him and didn't get one hit even though he did not maneuver and my lead was perfect.