You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Fun Post: Ensign Cthulhu and the Great Seal-Potato Battleship Race

8 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,117 posts
6,606 battles

So after recent spectacular Free XP windfalls, I find myself in the following interesting position:

1) Iron Duke - 33,303 XP with all modules researched. XP to go: 16,697.

2) Nelson - 358,979 Free XP accumulated. XP to go: 17,021.

They are neck and neck.

I know that if I simply ground the Iron Duke, I would reach the XP goal first. However, I have five Spring Sky camos left, as well as numerous Equal Speed Charlie London, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, Hydra and Papa Papa flags, on a 200% First Win weekend, and that changes things.

I also have more than enough Stars and Stripes, Victory Salute, Storm Wind and Frosty Fir Tree camos to get me through; all of these specifically boost both XP and Free XP, and I have read and re-read @Edgecase's FXP-maximising guide. I have 27 This Is Your day camos as well, and although they do not boost XP, I can load XP-boosting flags on for that and hope for the currently very high First Win Bonus to produce results.

I'll post my working later, perhaps, but I'm doing the sums now and even without a first-win bonus the potential results are looking pretty good. If I play well enough, should run out of Spring Sky and get into both the Nelson and the Queen Elizabeth at about the same time. If the math stacks up right, I may even get into the Nelson first. It's a neat coincidence, because I'll have a premium British battleship just in time to retrain the Iron Duke's captain (currently at ten skill points with one unused, 10,541 out of 69,000).

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen! Which ship do you think will be ready first? And how many games do you think this Seal-Potato will need?

[HELLS]
Members
2,029 posts
19,390 battles

Two or three games in Iron Duke with cammo and flags plus first win bonus and you've got enough ship XP for Queen Elizabeth. You will add to the free XP totals as well. Two or three games in Queen Elizabeth with cammo and flags and you've got Nelson. Go for both, Queen Elizabeth first. Good ships.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,970 posts
14,049 battles

Most time-efficient plan would be to stack camos on Iron Duke and go for it, because you'll accomplish both goals with the same games.

Most camo-efficient plan would be to stack your fancy stuff on a high-tier ship because of their higher base earnings.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,117 posts
6,606 battles
47 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Two or three games in Iron Duke with cammo and flags plus first win bonus and you've got enough ship XP for Queen Elizabeth. You will add to the free XP totals as well. Two or three games in Queen Elizabeth with cammo and flags and you've got Nelson. Go for both, Queen Elizabeth first. Good ships.

It stands to reason, of course, that spamming first wins in multiple ships gets me into the Nelson much faster (I want to play my new Indianapolis at least once a day to make sure I don't miss out on her crate missions), but that's not what this is about. My initial calculations suggest the potential for about 7000 XP and a little more FXP from a 1000 base XP first win this weekend (200% bonus), and I am kicking myself for not having loaded flags on harcore when grinding out the 500K damage I needed for the Indy. I would at least have had the Nelson by now, though of course I could not have used the Iron Duke for the Indy Marathon missions.

@Edgecase, your reply came through while I was typing this, and I agree absolutely. Time is precious right now; I think the 200% bonus stops after tonight, and I'd like to get that first win with the optimum camo loadout while I still can. After that, it might be best to shift to Stars and Stripes, which also boosts both XP and Free XP and which I have a lot more of, and continue to load my XP and FXP boosting flags. Even the This Is Your Day camo should turn out reasonable results once Hydra, Red Dragon and Equal Speed Charlie London have been added on, and I have more of them to burn than the Spring Sky.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,582 posts
15,896 battles

I'll just wish you good luck; you obviously know what you're doing.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,117 posts
6,606 battles
45 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I'll just wish you good luck; you obviously know what you're doing.

In theory, yes. :fish_book: In practice, results are not always what is desired! :fish_boom:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,582 posts
15,896 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In practice, results are not always what is desired! :fish_boom:

Whose are?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,117 posts
6,606 battles

The Winner (after four games, and I do not want to talk about why it took that long, except... seal-potato):

Nelson.

Queen Liz, with c.1200 XP still to go, was the runner-up after a fifth game.

I might have made it four for both, but targets I shot at had a depressing tendency to die less than a second before my broadside arrived, and I was uptiered a lot in a ship I never did well in. Never mind, I'm rid of it now.

Queen Liz is everything the Warspite is and less (not a premium ship).

Nelson... Nelson is very nice indeed, and I think I'm going to enjoy retraining the Iron Duke's commander.

Please note that although she is nominally a Premium, Nelson DID NOT come with her own port slot. They wanted 50 doubloons to open one, and I said :etc_swear: to that and sold my Clemson (which I hardly ever use these days anyway) to vacate the space. But it's worth it. It's so, so worth it. Worth the Free XP and worth the fancy camos.