Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Fiji a must play cruiser?

24 comments in this topic

Members
332 posts
6,896 battles

Heard that she is a tier 7 monster so I want to play her asap. My question is how is the grind through the leander to get to her? Is it painful or is the Leander a decent ship? TIA

[ADR]
Members
4,380 posts
14,656 battles
4 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Heard that she is a tier 7 monster so I want to play her asap. My question is how is the grind through the leander to get to her? Is it painful or is the Leander a decent ship? TIA

Leander isn't horrible, it's your first decent RN cruiser,  takes getting used to with AP only for your ship. but the Fiji is Solid.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

Beta Testers
1,538 posts
9,539 battles

Leander is a joy once you get used to her, and have a decently trained captain.  She's amazing at hunting and killing DD's,  and capable of wrecking other t6 CL's  in no time.  Plus, good smoke and the ability to single fire torps.

There are times when the guns/shells can't seem to pen on otherwise easy ships, but that's a question of positioning.  AA build is effective, secondary build gives DD's a headache.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles

After the Emerald, which was a horrendous grind for a new player, the Leander was a blessed revelation. I loved it, and because I got it close to the beginning of the Duke of York campaign last December and it was the best ship I had, it got used a lot. Before I knew it, I was in the Fiji. 

Members
68 posts
5,212 battles

The Leander and Fiji are fun ships.  100% better than the Emerald.  My only complaint is their low speed.  When you start seeing T7 and T8 DDs and BBs they can outrun you and catch you.  Your prey are DDs who sit in smoke, thinking they are safe.  Get Supt.  for a captain skill.  It comes in handy for theses ships that have Repair, smoke and Hydro consumables.

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,657 battles

Fiji is just a great ship.  It is probably the best non premium T7 there is.  If you're not used to AP-only, that's what T1-6 are for, but you quickly figure out how to play it to its strengths and avoid the weaknesses.  For all of the crap cruisers get for HE spam, and if you're tired of just playing the same style different ways, i thoroughly encourage the RNCL line as a wholly different experience.

That and Fiji is a great ship.

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles

After playing the HMS Canon Fodder Emerald, the Leander is a true joy.  Fiji is even better.  Leander and Fiji are my favorite cruisers for their respective tiers.  The Buddy is maybe a bit better at T6.  But the grind for Leander/Fiji was more enjoyable than any other T6-7 cruiser grind.  I enjoyed both ships.  A close second is the LaGasoline - Algae grind.  Both of those are decent ships as well.  Maybe I just enjoyed the Leander - Fiji play more is because the Emerald was so weak.  

[RLGN]
Members
10,111 posts
19,510 battles

If you are good at the playstyle needed? Then yes.

Will never understand the love for the soggy crumpet throwing T6+ RN cruisers; nor the hate for Emerald. At least it has a useful amount of torpedoes.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Leander and Fiji are both great ships. If you like cruisers and cruiser play, they are most certainly worth doing. The Fiji in particular is a great ship, IMHO the only tech tree keeper I have come across so far. I kept the Leander as well, I don't get much a chance to play her but she is fun enough to keep in port. 

[INTEL]
Members
7,069 posts
28,923 battles

Leander is very good. Fiji is the gem of the line.

Just be aware that RN light cruisers are not easy ships to play.

Edited by alexf24

Members
22,445 posts
5,792 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Will never understand the love for the soggy crumpet throwing T6+ RN cruisers...

I don't understand why I like it, but I do lol.

And that's with extremely rare use of offensive smoke.

[SYN]
Members
279 posts
10,693 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Leander is a good boat (Fiji a great boat) should be a fun grind for you and you'll need the experience to handle Fiji - take your time playing thru her it will pay off when u get Fiji - good luck M8

[-S-R-]
Members
122 posts
6,753 battles

I found every British cruiser from mid tier on to be pretty good. You just need to make sure your paper armour doesn't get shredded in one volley.

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

I used to see some good players consistently getting Krakens in the Leander. Of course, this may have changed a bit with the new radar ships at tier VIII if you find yourself uptiered. If you like the Leander, you are going to love the Fiji, and the ships after it.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,640 posts
15,896 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Is it painful

No more painful than a proctology exam with a spoon.

1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Will never understand the love for the soggy crumpet throwing T6+ RN cruisers; nor the hate for Emerald

This is because you excell at ships others find painful, while at times struggling with ships others say are great. I didn't find the entire RN line worth a damn until Edinburgh.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,557 posts
11,568 battles

I think she's very good, but turned more into a damage farmer than a winner for me, I couldn't use stealth to get right into the destroyers and guarantee a win that way like Leander.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Leander and Fiji are great ships! They are very powerful but, mistakes in them are punished harshly. They will really help teach you situational awareness.

[DOG]
Members
572 posts
7,256 battles

I only started playing RN cruisers fairly recently.  I know Emerald gets a lot of bad press, but I liked her well enough.  Then again, I love the Kuma, and it's not too terribly different.  Leander is great.  You can play her like she's a DD - good concealment, smoke, maneuverability, and guns that can citadel other cruisers fairly well.  Only 4 torpedoes per side, but since you can fire them individually, you can still hit things with them if send them off at cross angles.  And the rudder shift often lets you launch both sides.  I just moved up to Fiji, and she's about what you'd expect - Leander with 50% more guns.  You'd think having to face tier IX ships would be a problem, since all that radar makes your smoke useless, but I haven't noticed it yet.

[LEGIT]
Members
1,686 posts
24,571 battles

I picked up the Leander in the Christmas campaign thing so I've only shot at Emeralds.  But Leander is also a monster.  Great reload, torps, smoke, agile, a real DD hunter/killer.

[RLGN]
Members
10,111 posts
19,510 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

No more painful than a proctology exam with a spoon.

This is because you excell at ships others find painful, while at times struggling with ships others say are great. I didn't find the entire RN line worth a damn until Edinburgh.

Supposed to go to London in two weeks for vacation. Maybe after I visit Belfast some mojo will rub off on me from the ship, and I’ll at least like it more...

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I consider Fiji to be the best bote on the RN Cruiser line, and I've played the whole line up to tier 10. Leander is fun to drive too and will prep you for Fiji.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,549 posts

i just don't get all the fiji hype,  just like op i got the fiji follow the hype, and give it a try, its AP can't do crap to BBs, can't start fire, damage per salvo is low (fire is HE's citadel) even if you shoot infrastructure, range is short... after a few games, leave it on port and pretty much forget about it

Edited by Happy668

[LOU1]
Members
3,561 posts
9,434 battles

The trick with Leander/Fiji/Perth is to get in a spot where you can interfere with several enemy ships and you have some hard cover nearby with an escape route.  With the low detection, you are almost a DD with a citadel (Perth has 8.6 km) and with firing discipline you can spot and get into some interesting positions.  Some downsides are that the main guns do modest damage and you can't start fires with them.  The MB are great at citadeling broadside targets and you can get reasonable fire damage from her secondaries, though.  The single fire torps can intimidate other ships at times and are good at spreading your skill around.  My biggest issue with the line is when the team does not take advantage of situations where you are holding a choke point, breaking up a push, or distracting several ships.

Definitely not a standard/normal playstyle to get the most out of her/them.  A good illustration is that Fiji on my main account has a 47.3% WR over 70 battles and my other account Fiji has a 59.3% WR over 59 battles (last two months).  When I first got her, I tried to play her like a regular USN cruiser and it took a few thousand battles (and a lot of vids and articles) for my WOWS skills to improve enough to understand how to use her .

Date Type Details
08.07.2018 New record 2 frags - secondary battery  PBSC107.png Fiji
08.07.2018 New record 119 394 dmg  PBSC107.png Fiji
08.07.2018 New record 3 551 XP  PBSC107.png Fiji

(actually that was yesterday, 07.07.2018)

Statistics of same tier and type warships

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4182685648,Fiji/

NATION  BATTLES       WR           FRAGS   DAMAGE       XP       PLANES      K/D
Flint                                 U.S.A.          51 734    66.26 %      1.37        61 318       1 811        4.48        2.77
Helena                            U.S.A.            2 694    57.22 %      1.09        53 152       1 495         1.51        2.31
Belfast                            U.K.           896 050    55.33 %      0.94        44 936       1 390         1.36        1.70
Duca degli Abruzzi       Italy             10 257    54.29 %       0.89       41 711       1 364         0.49        1.88
Fiji                                   U.K.        1 472 289    53.20 %       0.97       43 794       1 302         0.86        1.69

Edited by ExploratorOne

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,640 posts
15,896 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Supposed to go to London in two weeks for vacation. Maybe after I visit Belfast some mojo will rub off on me from the ship, and I’ll at least like it more...

Sounds nice; have a great trip and be sure to bring an extra bag for all the mojo you'll be bringing back.

Sign in to follow this