Sign in to follow this  
HarryVoyager

Dunkirk for genericised RN BB captain?

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

I'm thinking I will probably end up getting the Hood in the not so dim distant future and may head down the RN BB tech line as well. I've currently got the Warspite and Nelson in port, though I don't have a true captain for either yet. With the release of the Arsenal, it looks like I could finish out the Dunkirk Collection and pick up a Jack Dunkirk for the fleet. The question is, would he be valuable on the British BB line, and if so, is it worth using his main bonuses, and could a common captain skillset be assembled for the majority of of RN Tech tree and premium BBs?

My initial thought would be

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Adrenaline Rush

Jack of All Trades

High Alert

Vigilance

Thoughts are CE is to universal and too useful to delay having. Likewise, I've found even with good gun handling, turret traverse means more shots on target in complex engagements. Superintendent is a requirement for the Nelson and very useful on any BB. Adrenaline Rush is to push the DPS on the Hood, and seems generally strong. The last three I'm debating. Jack of All Trades, with a 10% cooldown reduction, and High Alert, and a premium Damage Control Party should bring the DCR cooldown to 64 seconds on most ships, and 48 seconds on the Warspite, and leave three points open for Vigilance, or I could use the last five points for Expert Loader and Fire Prevention instead.

Thoughts?

Note, this is a more long term project: I'll need to finish off my first 19 point captain on my US BB line before I start seriously pursuing RN BBs, but I can work on the Dunkirk collection while I'm doing that.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,128 posts
8,404 battles

JD is meant for cruisers and destroyers, not BB's. His unique abilities JoaT and the smoke extension will only/better work for them, and EM is rather needed for them as well.

Edited by Th3KrimzonD3mon

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,421 posts
5,491 battles
3 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

JD is meant for cruisers and destroyers, not BB's. His unique abilities JoaT and the smoke extension will only work for them, and EM is rather needed for them as well.

Jack and Bert Dunkirk work's well for BBs too. I have Jack on Conqueror where the improved EM helps with the turret traverse, especially since I have the reload module on mine. And the improved JoaT helps get the slow reloading superheal off cooldown faster. I use Bert on my Queen Liz just to make the turret traverse bearable.

I may not be optimal, but I haven't kept any RN CLs. I find that other than not using the smoke skill they do good work on my battleships.

[70]
Members
1,086 posts
5,374 battles
11 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

JD is meant for cruisers and destroyers, not BB's. His unique abilities JoaT and the smoke extension will only/better work for them, and EM is rather needed for them as well.

Are you kidding me?

Minotaur at least has lightning fast turret traverse, and the smoke is large enough already...

Meanwhile, the better EM is godly on battleships. Kind of like how Honore is totally meant as a a BB captain through and through... Yeah, Jack isn't as hyperfocused, so he's usable on all ship types, but the EM is definitely a hallmark of BB captains or countries with top cruisers that have slow turrets.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,128 posts
8,404 battles
4 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Are you kidding me?

Minotaur at least has lightning fast turret traverse, and the smoke is large enough already...

Meanwhile, the better EM is godly on battleships. Kind of like how Honore is totally meant as a a BB captain through and through... Yeah, Jack isn't as hyperfocused, so he's usable on all ship types, but the EM is definitely a hallmark of BB captains or countries with top cruisers that have slow turrets.

Minotaur is ONE RN cruiser. Quit acting like it's all of them. I also said cruisers AND destroyers, quit nit-picking things to fit your bias.

[70]
Members
1,086 posts
5,374 battles
22 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Minotaur is ONE RN cruiser. Quit acting like it's all of them. I also said cruisers AND destroyers, quit nit-picking things to fit your bias.

Well yeah but I doubt the Darings at tier 10 would have bad traverse.

I can see putting him on Fiji or something if you decide to keep it, but I tend to assess captains in terms of "For Tier X", hence going "wait, wut?"...

And consumable reloads tend toward being a battleship damcon/repair problem in my experience to date.

Edited by Guardian54

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this