You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
doshoru

Best Class

19 comments in this topic

[VENUM]
Members
15 posts

Hi, I'm new here.

I realize this is probably an old topic, but please bear with me.

I'm new to the game, and don't have a lot of money.  I heard that the Russian class lines are currently the best, is that true?

Some friends are telling me that the destroyers have guns and armor that are as good as cruisers, or even battleships, but they move like destroyers.  I think this is the ship for me.  Please comment!

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,911 posts
2,810 battles

No, Russians are not the best.

Best varies quite a bit based on what you want to do and what your skills are better at.

Only one Russian DD has armor, and it is a 50mm belt.  No BB or cruiser at Tier anything past 4 (and that DD is 10) have armor thinner than that.  Well, maybe the Tier 5 British cruiser Emerald.

Describe what you want to play like and we can suggest lines that might suit you.

Members
1,376 posts
8,793 battles
5 minutes ago, doshoru said:

I'm new to the game, and don't have a lot of money.  I heard that the Russian class lines are currently the best, is that true?

Not really.  There are a handful of individually great Russian ships in the game, but there are also some outright clunkers.  The Budyonny is awesome; the Podvoisky sucks.  This is true of pretty much every ship line.  There is no widespread consensus on what line is "currently the best" line.  It varies depending on what tier and playstyle you're looking for.

7 minutes ago, doshoru said:

Some friends are telling me that the destroyers have guns and armor that are as good as cruisers, or even battleships, but they move like destroyers.  I think this is the ship for me.  Please comment!

That's definitely not true.  There is one very unique Russian destroyer with obnoxiously good armor (and clumsy handling and weak torpedoes and poor stealth) that is basically a really fast light cruiser, but that's the Khabarovsk, a tier 10 ship that would take a new player several hundred games to obtain, and those several hundred games would be played in pretty conventional destroyers that have effectively no armor at all, just like everybody else's destroyers.  So if you start playing Russian DD's right now thinking you're going to have awesome armor, you're in for a negative experience.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Starting a Russian Line DD is a tough proposition the early RU DD's Have very short range Torps and wonky Guns.

IJN DD's are excellent till tier 6 {Never played past this so you got that}

KM DD's are fun but a different flavor than Gun Boat Torp boat designation.

USN DD's are the jack of all trades but have their own quirks to learn.

I totally suck at DD play and have only minimum knowledge.{ What I wrote here is about my personal experiences} 

I do play the DD's for the knowledge on how to counter them with my other surface ships.

[STW-M]
Members
2,942 posts
6,991 battles

It honestly depends on what you expect out of the ship you play.

Battleships for poor maneuverability and concealment but great durability and firepower

Destroyers for rather mediocre firepower (apart from torpedoes, which hit very hard but are much easier to dodge than shells and have a a long reload time) and great maneuverability and concealment

Cruisers for a middle ground between the two

Carriers if you prefer playing a strategy game to an shooter game

Each nation has their own traits as well, so you're recommended to go read the game wiki for more information.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,470 battles

ijn dd are great but there are a series of learning walls to get over at certain tiers but be the ninja

[N-W-T]
Members
1,362 posts
5,727 battles

I'd recommend starting with either IJN or German cruisers, or US/IJN battleships.  IJN cruisers are good at starting fires.  US and IJN battleships hit hardest, but US especially are really slow until you get to T8. 

If you play DDs well, they can be fun.  But as whole, they earn less XP than the other classes.  And a lot is expected of DDs -- mainly capping and spotting.  People will get salty if you're "not playing right".  Then radar starts to creep in at T6, and the skill to play around it is another area where higher skill is required than cruisers or BBs. 

CVs are getting a complete overhaul, possibly this year.  The current RTS-style interface is going away, so any skills learned there are going to be wasted.  I'd avoid them completely as new player. 

BTW, if you aren't level 3 yet I PM'd you a code that will give you a bunch of credits and 2 free premiums.  If you're past level 3 but still pretty new it might or might not be worth it to you to start over to get the goodies.  

[-AGW-]
Members
769 posts
10,900 battles

Just play the ships and find out what suits you. There's no easy way to do this. Even premium ships come with challenges beyond the novice user. Learning how this works is part of the game, so enjoy that too.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Being new to the game, I'm sure that you want to learn how to play it in a uncomplicated way. Battleships (ewww...) are easy to play and somewhat forgiving of mistakes. I'd suggest playing BBs until you get comfortable with how to play the game and branch off from there.

Edited by ReddNekk

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,605 posts
15,896 battles
2 hours ago, doshoru said:

I heard that the Russian class lines are currently the best, is that true?

No, it isn't; there are so many different ways to play that no one ship, or even one line, can claim to be the best.

2 hours ago, doshoru said:

Some friends are telling me that the destroyers have guns and armor that are as good as cruisers, or even battleships, but they move like destroyers.

Russian DDs do have really good guns; and they pay for those guns by having crap torp ranges, bad detection values, and, in some cases, poor maneuverability. Some lines have good torps; some have Hydro; some are fair to good across the boards without being outstanding at any one thing. You first need to know exactly what type of play style you enjoy the most. 

• Cool 1

[DIEBL]
Members
552 posts
6,316 battles

I’ve always felts that the German Cruiser line is both the most forgiving and versatile.  Also, if you stick with it to T10, you get one of the best all-around cruisers in the game.

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,914 battles

I am a firm believer in the fact that the best, is in the eye of the beholder.

That said the russian lines are more challenging than others.

To adress the fact of money...dont buy anything. Play at least a few hundred maybe 1000 battles before dumping any money in the game. There is nothing that the money buys you, that you cant get without it. The one exception might be a ticket to the deep end of the pool, with a limited understanding of the game mechanics, tactics, etc. That will lead to frustration, and perhaps foolish posts on the forum. One of the best features of this game is that you can really have a chance to know how much you like it, before spending a dime.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Try to go all classes at once. US DDs are a good choice to start with, together with the French or Japanese cruisers and French battleships.

This way you will get insight from multiple perspectives and should help you understand the game better.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,554 posts
10,398 battles

Depends on which class you want to play . Russian nation isn't the best but it's not the worst.

For cruiser I would recommend starting with IJN cruisers. They are fairly squishy but their HE are really potent and AP is decent at mid-close range. If you know how to angle and not get hit, it will greatly helps you with other cruiser line. Also IJN cruiser have really good concealment so it's a bit forgiving.

For BB you can try French first or IJN BB.  I find both of them quite interesting and good to play. But what really matter is that both of them will teach you about angling. Give broadside and you'll get insta deleted.  US BB are also a good option if you can handle the poor speed. I personnally hate slow ship which is why I don't like grinding US BB.

For DD I would recommend US or German DD. Both of them are very versatile. German have poor HE and kinda ok concealment but they get hydro in return and fantastic AP performance. US are jack of all trade. They have the best smoke in the game and at high tier, they have also strong torps. Almost too strong torps.  IJN DD can be fun but it rely too much on ennemi doing mistake than skill. I like them but I wouldn't recommend them for new player.

Don't think about playing CV, it will just give you salt. Get used to playing these 3 classes mention above. CV is really hard to play,  you're poorly rewarded for doing your job and you'll just get reported if something doesn't work.

You can start with other nation but they may give you bad habbit :

-RN BB are citadel proof. You can give flat broadside and get away with it, which is totally stupid.

-German CA are quite tanky but they have poor HE and their AP tend to bounce the moment your target decide to angle a little bit. You better start learning about how HE and AP works before playing them

-Russian DD aren't your average DD. They play like CL, meaning you don't push towards cap or do DD jobs in general. There is a thin line between playing like a CL and playing like a DD depending on the situation and people will often ask you to cap when there is a DD inside defending it while some player will just keep shooting the ennemi even though the cap is safe and the player can just go dark and safely cap it. 

[FML]
Members
2,463 posts
11,866 battles
8 hours ago, doshoru said:

Hi, I'm new here.

I realize this is probably an old topic, but please bear with me.

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

Your friends are probably joking about 'Russian Bias' - a perceived tendency for russian ships/tanks/planes to be better than historical facts would suggest precisely because the Wargaming developers are Russian.  Whilst amusing, it is often not correct. 

Before you start buying premium ships, I strongly encourage you to play a few of the different ship types and national flavours so you can decide what style you enjoy and what suits you best - you can then buy premium ships like those ones to support your gameplay up into higher tiers. 

Conceptually, the ship types - in a very general sense, with exceptions - into the following roles:

• Destroyers (DDs): Stealthy ninjas - they use their speed and concealment to set up ambush attacks on enemy capital ships with their torpedos, and they use their fast firing but low damage guns against other destroyers. 
    • Note: some DDs are better at killing enemy dds (like American DDs), and others are better at killing enemy capital ships with torpedos (like Japanese DDs) - this national flavour is common to this game, and you'll have to learn this as you go. 
  • Cruisers (CA/CLs): High damage-per-minute and accurate guns, but very squishy (ie, easy to kill) ships - their fast firing and moderate damage guns wreck destroyers and can put serious hurt into battleships if they are left unmolested... they are extremely vulnerable to enemy battleship guns in particular as they have no effective armour - instead, they must use hard cover (like islands) and friendly smoke screens to stay alive long enough to bring their firepower onto the enemy - caught out in the open, they do a lot of dying. 
    • Cruisers are possibly the hardest conventional class to do well in. 
    • CA = Heavy Cruiser (ie, armed wuth 8 inch guns or higher), and CLs = Light Cruiser (ie, armed with 6 inch guns or smaller). 
  • Battleships (BBs): High Alpha, usually low-ish damage per minute ships that can strike from  relatively long range - they are less accurate than cruisers, but by late tiers you dont really feel the difference. They have high hitpoints, and strong armour, but that does not make you immune to damage - torpedos, fires and battleship guns can all bring you down.  As you tend to be slow and not agile, make sure you are always near teammates in cruisers and destroyers who can help you screen faster/lighter enemies away from you.  
  • Aircraft carriers (CVs): A completely different style of play, more like an RTS like Command&Conquer than the FPS of the other styles.  Dominance of the air means that you can spot enemy ships, use dive bombers or torpedo bombers to attack enemy ships, and use your fighters to protect friendly ships from enemy carrier attacks.  
    • Carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing.

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: Two types, British and German. 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding carriers entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

Finally, if you have any questions - feel free to come back and ask. 

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[SIDE]
Members
2,089 posts

French battleships

french cruisers

german dd

I don’t know about “best” but these had the most consistent playability in my opinion. They are also among the newest lines and feature some of the best thought out combinations of characteristics.

[PVE]
Members
669 posts
5,708 battles

If you are new I'd recommend IJN cruisers or IJN BBs. They are good lines to learn the game on because you can always do something in each game and you can generally find that thing much easier than you can in a DD line.