You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Help with the Fiji

18 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

I've had Fiji in my port for a while but I've only recently started playing it. The RN line is a very alien line to me because up to this point I've mostly played Japanese cruisers and US light cruisers. I heard Fiji is a keeper and after 20 battles in it I can say I'm not doing bad with her at 60k average damage. I know it's a small sample size and my WR is still fluctuating a lot, but I don't know how to get the most out of her.

1. Would you describe her playstyle as similar to USN cruisers? Do I rely on islands just as much as I would in an Atlanta / Cleveland / Helena?

2. When to pop smoke and when not to? Is it true that it's best to pop smoke when I slow down to half speed, then make a tight turn so I'm facing the rear end of my smoke, angled?

3. How do I deal damage with only AP shells? I know that I should go for broadside cruisers / BBs but I've noticed my damage rolls drop a lot as soon as they angle, even when I aim for the superstructure. I also have trouble dealing damage to BBs once they are saturated from previous damage.

4. What are the best spots to aim when shooting at BBs? When shooting broadside cruisers, is it better to aim for citadels or superstructure hits? I've noticed it's not easy to citadel cruisers even when they're at around 10km.

5. What is the ideal distance for the Fiji? Do I play her more aggressively by getting close to the enemy in open water, or do I play her more passively and camp behind terrain like a USN cruiser?

6. How do I deal with someone rushing my smoke? How do I play on the bigger maps when up-tiered? (Does she up tier well?)

7. How situational is this ship?

So far I don't feel like I have much of an influence on matches due to my lack of familiarity with the Fiji. I know she's a good cruiser, but I haven't used her to the same effect as I've used the Atlanta, Helena etc. To elaborate, I know that damage and EXP has a proportional relationship, when I'm in the Fiji it's harder for me to deal a greater % of damage to a target's HP due to lack of HE shells, which means it's harder for me to place in the Top 3 whereas if I had the same performance in a Atlanta or Helena I would be relatively confident ending up in the Top 3.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,210 posts
14,114 battles

#3 & #4: shoot the bow/stern.

#6: torpedoes.

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,953 battles

1. I would say the smoke-based playstyle of RN CLs is similar to the old smoke-fire style that used to be prevalent amongst gunboat destroyers. The radar-based playstyle available starting at T8 is virtually the same as the USN CL playstyle.

2. You definitely want to be at close to half speed before you smoke. You don't necessarily need to go stern-first, but angling against torpedoes is a good idea. You also have hydro at your disposal for extra safety. As for where to smoke, it's a learning experience. Again, think like a gunboat destroyer and assess the possible threats to your position.

3. RN CL AP shells act more like low-caliber HE and should be treated as such. You'll have to find other ways to get the damage in or choose another target.

4. Superstructure and unangled light plating. Citadels are exclusive to close-range brawls.

5. Ideal combat distance can vary a lot due to her toolkit, but in a regular balanced engagement I'd say around 10-13km is the sweet spot.

6. You have hydro and torpedoes (albeit only a few) available to you. Your guns rip apart everything except battleships at close range. You're more likely to be radar'd out of your smoke rather than someone challenging it normally. The only 1v1 CQC matchups that could give you a run for your money (excluding the aforementioned radar ships and battleships) would be German cruisers with hydro, but that's a very rare occurrence.

7. While the specifics of the RN CLs vary significantly from other nations' cruisers, the core gameplay is the same: they support other ships through DPM. RN CLs get to be a little safer because they can attack without being spotted for periods of time, but they have a multitude of other limitations that prevent them from being straight broken. Fiji is the second of the line that really demonstrates the potential of the line (the first being Leander), and it's a bit of an acquired taste. I know I didn't like it before I had really settled into learning them and gotten CE.

Members
2,524 posts
7,157 battles

this oughta help you out with Fiji a bit.... most of the info is still relevant.

as for your specific questions:

1/ Sort of, use Islands not so much to shoot over as to use to disengage, sneak closer or use as cover from one side while you fire in another direction, while your shells are somewhat floaty... they aren't really to the same level as USN ships.

2/ your smoke time has been increased so you can deploy from full speed, hit the breaks and make a turn and not overrun it, but it is still a good idea to deploy from 3/4th speed or lower. When to and not to deploy smoke is hard to say.... if you are sure there are not any radar ships about then deploy when immediately spotted so you are at optimal engagement range to the enemy BBs. Honestly it all depends on the situation you're in.

3/ superstructures work well to get damage, yes you'll role more misses, ricochets and non-pens but it is still relatively decent damage to most BBs (Jap BBs with so little superstructure are honestly the most annoying). on cruisers another option is to try to knock out their turrets with your AP shells if they bow-in on you.

4/ refer to question 3. if in doubt hit the superstructure.... but within about 7km anything broadside you can smack well in the hull, you won't citadel BBs but your normal pen damage at point blank can easily break 10k per salvo.

5/ get close.... Fiji is an aggressive ship and rewards calculated risks. if you get smacked hard... you got heals.

6/ Fiji up tiers well, and as for people charging your smoke: My guide has options for you to try.

7/ she does well in all situations but works best supporting DDs with flanking or bullying enemy DDs/CAs in caps.

Members
1,376 posts
8,793 battles
23 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I've had Fiji in my port for a while but I've only recently started playing it. The RN line is a very alien line to me because up to this point I've mostly played Japanese cruisers and US light cruisers. I heard Fiji is a keeper and after 20 battles in it I can say I'm not doing bad with her at 60k average damage. I know it's a small sample size and my WR is still fluctuating a lot, but I don't know how to get the most out of her.

1. Would you describe her playstyle as similar to USN cruisers? Do I rely on islands just as much as I would in an Atlanta / Cleveland / Helena?

Yes, the guns have similar ballistic properties to USN CL guns and you can play them quite similarly.  Bear in mind that most RN CL's have rather poor gun angles compared to USN ships, though, so it's very risky to use all of your guns if taking return fire.

2. When to pop smoke and when not to? Is it true that it's best to pop smoke when I slow down to half speed, then make a tight turn so I'm facing the rear end of my smoke, angled?

The smoke is very situational, especially at high tiers.  There's a lot of radar around and even when there isn't, many players are pretty good at using spotter planes to get the right range and nail you.  It's best to deploy your smoke in areas where it extends natural cover that you can quickly move into if you get spotted.  RN CL's have very fast acceleration so making a run for it isn't too hard if you plan your escape route in advance.

3. How do I deal damage with only AP shells? I know that I should go for broadside cruisers / BBs but I've noticed my damage rolls drop a lot as soon as they angle, even when I aim for the superstructure. I also have trouble dealing damage to BBs once they are saturated from previous damage.

Aim for the upper hull, just above the main belt.  It takes longer to saturate then the superstructure.  RN CL shells have improved pen angles just USN CA's, so angling isn't usually super effective against them.  Some point on the superstructure or stern or a large ship is almost always flat enough to get some penetrations if you've got the aim to hit it.  These ships will really hone your marksmanship skills.

4. What are the best spots to aim when shooting at BBs? When shooting broadside cruisers, is it better to aim for citadels or superstructure hits? I've noticed it's not easy to citadel cruisers even when they're at around 10km.

I almost always get best results aiming for the upper hull, along the casement.  You don't really have the penetration to get citadel hits except at really close range, and RN CL's are not very good knife fighters because of the aforementioned poor gun angles.

5. What is the ideal distance for the Fiji? Do I play her more aggressively by getting close to the enemy in open water, or do I play her more passively and camp behind terrain like a USN cruiser?

Camp.  You don't want to be up front.  Everyone loves shooting RN CL's because it's very annoying to be under fire from them and we all know you've got a big, poorly-protected citadel.  These ships really have to be played in a defensive, reactionary manner most of the time.  Like other cruisers, though, you can become more aggressive the longer the game goes, as you can eventually start using your terrifying damage output against isolated or weakened targets.  Just play really conservative in the early game.

6. How do I deal with someone rushing my smoke? How do I play on the bigger maps when up-tiered? (Does she up tier well?)

The ship uptiers fine.  RN CL's have huge damage potential and you can easily riddle the hulls of higher tier ships.  The main way to keep enemies from rushing you is to just not be on the front line.  Ideally you have less fragile teammates to support.  (By which I mean shelter behind.)  Your sheer firepower and your pretty decent torpedoes usually make it a mistake for anyone to rush your smoke unless they just sneak up undetected and torpedo you, and to deal with that you just need to develop a good sense for when to activate Hydroacoustic Search.

Other than being really fragile when targetted, it's pretty generally useful.  It does a lot of damage, it's nimble and stealthy.  It can support teammates pretty competently in any situation.  Like most cruisers, it becomes increasingly powerful as the enemy team gets thinned out.

So far I don't feel like I have much of an influence on matches due to my lack of familiarity with the Fiji. I know she's a good cruiser, but I haven't used her to the same effect as I've used the Atlanta, Helena etc. To elaborate, I know that damage and EXP has a proportional relationship, when I'm in the Fiji it's harder for me to deal a greater % of damage to a target's HP due to lack of HE shells, which means it's harder for me to place in the Top 3 whereas if I had the same performance in a Atlanta or Helena I would be relatively confident ending up in the Top 3.

Members
3,783 posts
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Make sure you are going full speed when you deploy your smoke screen lol.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,588 posts
15,896 battles

I hate seeing those ships in the red lineup; they're tough customers. From my perspective ... 

I mostly see Fiji Captains using a combination of smoke and maneuvering to stay healthy, which really works as the ship can be very hard to hit for good damage. I rarely see them staying still, and though I do see them using cover they are usually moving when they do.

That is a tactic I see often; very effective.

Find the areas of your opponent that you can damage that are NOT superstructure, bow or stern or part of the superstructure you haven't hit yet. Or disengage and find someone you haven't saturated yet.

Bow and stern and superstructure.

While I have found the Fiji to be effective at most ranges, she does suffer from RN weak armor, so think twice about brawling.

6. How do I deal with someone rushing my smoke?

Torps.

How do I play on the bigger maps when up-tiered? (Does she up tier well?)

Play the same; she uptiers well.

Not as much as some; again, she uptiers well.

Good luck with her, and let us know how it turns out.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Play the Fiji as a Moving platform.when your firing distance is 15 don't shoot till your enemy is less than 13. Slow down to 15 kn before deploying your smoke stop and full reverse and and stay aware of your smoke circle.

Fiji is totally dependant on your aim accuracy. Move within your smoke never stop. When your smoke counter reaches 15 Full speed out and away from your targets. If at any time you have no one spotting don't use Smoke and keep moving to find a better target. Use Islands for cover but don't sit behind them Keep Moving with an eye on all possible  targets. Never shoot from your max range the accuracy is so far off you won't hit squat.Your torpedoes are an area denial tool and or a director of enemy ship movements. Make them turn broadside to a Friendly BB. British CA/L's are a support ship to the bigger picture. Never go solo always have a friendly with in 3-4 km. Lead your Battleships follow your DD's. If at anytime your BB turns away from where you are headed turn with him. Watching your teammates is key to a successful Run if comms isn't happening.

I love my Fiji and placed a 19 pt captain in her because I do enjoy this ship more than anything above her.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
992 posts
11,156 battles
2 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

No UK CL relies on good management of concealment ranges and smoke to do what they need to do. You can hump islands like you do with USN CL but don't expect as good of a result because of lack of HE Shells.

If you pop smoke at full speed, you'll outrun your screen, hence the recommendation. If you slow down in anticipation of deploying smoke, some BB players are good enough to read that and Citadel you to death by the time your smoke is deployed. So a "good time" for deploying smoke depends on situation and experience. 

BBs are hardcounters to UK CLs, you shouldn't be shooting them unless they are the only targets you at shoot at,  even then it's probably better to stop shooting, relocate, and shoot at something more fruitful. UK CL are hard counters to DDs so you should use your concealment to move around the map and hunt them and protect your DDs. If you end up depending on winning a 1 v 1 against a BB then you probably had failed to to your job earlier in the game. 

If you really have to attack a BB, your best option is to learn some fire discipline, stop shooting, go dark, re-position so you can get torps or at the very least broadside shots on a BB.  Shooting AP round at bow in BB in a UK CL is just a waste of time.

Upper hull, unless against a CL and close range where citadels can be expected. Upper hull typically less armored than the main belt and is generally less likely to be saturated compared to the super structure. If upper hull is saturated, go for bow/stern hull.

Close enough to ambush DDs. You want to use Islands as cover but camping behind islands is not always optimal since your ability to do damage is basically negated by ships angling against you. As soon as someone sees a rain of AP shells coming from behind an island, all they have to do is angle and they can ignore you. 

Depends on what is rushing, if it's a DD you should be able to kill them before they get you, if it's a BB, you should just kite away. Fiji up-tiers ok mostly cuz you are a smaller ship than the later UK CL line so it's easier for you to dodge stuff that can overmatch you and you and bounce stuff from CAs that you can't dodge. IMO Fiji is the sweet spot of the UK CL line

You hard counter DD, have the tools to deal with CA/CLs  and BBs hard counters you. The best way to play this ship is to go after DDs in early game to make life for your team much easier for the rest of the game. If your team have a heavy early advantage then the intricacies of exact situations matters less. 

Stop trying to farm damage from BBs and gGo after DDs and you'll be fine.

[-AGW-]
Members
766 posts
10,894 battles

Get more smoke. (Captain skill or cash) 

Blast away while you can. (Just keep those shells flying)

Keep moving, don't stand still. (Change position and angle)

Bug out before the smoke runs out. (Show your tail)

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Play the Fiji as a Moving platform.when your firing distance is 15 don't shoot till your enemy is less than 13. Slow down to 15 kn before deploying your smoke stop and full reverse and and stay aware of your smoke circle.

Fiji is totally dependant on your aim accuracy. Move within your smoke never stop. When your smoke counter reaches 15 Full speed out and away from your targets. If at any time you have no one spotting don't use Smoke and keep moving to find a better target. Use Islands for cover but don't sit behind them Keep Moving with an eye on all possible  targets. Never shoot from your max range the accuracy is so far off you won't hit squat.Your torpedoes are an area denial tool and or a director of enemy ship movements. Make them turn broadside to a Friendly BB. British CA/L's are a support ship to the bigger picture. Never go solo always have a friendly with in 3-4 km. Lead your Battleships follow your DD's. If at anytime your BB turns away from where you are headed turn with him. Watching your teammates is key to a successful Run if comms isn't happening.

I love my Fiji and placed a 19 pt captain in her because I do enjoy this ship more than anything above her.

What he said... Also, when I'm driving Fiji, (and Belfast) I only use smoke to cover me when I'm getting focus fired on or to conceal me until I can get moving again when I stupidly run aground. Smoke clouds are torpedo magnets. I'm constantly moving from cover to cover, I never camp. And I try to keep a lot of distance between myself and the Reds. With Fiji's excellent maneuverability, you can more successfully dodge incoming rounds that way. I rarely use Fiji's torpedoes, I consider them to be weapons of opportunity.

2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Dumped it like spoiled milk after 10 games.

It took me a lot of battles before I got the hang of playing Fiji well. I was kinda "eh" about her when I first started driving her but then it clicked and I do damn good with Fiji. She's my most played ship.

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
10 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

It took me a lot of battles before I got the hang of playing Fiji well. I was kinda "eh" about her when I first started driving her but then it clicked and I do damn good with Fiji. She's my most played ship.

Bogue for me. 310 PvP, 500+ PvE...

Can't seem to really be influential in Randoms, and can't deal with the higher tier meta.

None of my weaknesses seem to be an issue in Ops and PvE.

[FML]
Members
2,459 posts
11,856 battles
3 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Nice, congrats!  The Fiji and Leander are standouts on the line*, at least until Minotaur.  

Just like Leander, you are a knife fighter.  Get near a cap that friendly destroyers are contesting, and help them out. Smoke up, ideally near rocks or islands to block incoming fire and torps, shoot enemy dds, sonar to stay alive.  Unlike Leander, you have the firepower to turn enemy cruisers around,. Remember that you have torps to nail BBs that rush your smoke - the single fire torps are particularly useful when the enemy BB is presenting a small target. 

Dont camp behind islands like USN cruisers... that is negating their main strength - firing fro smoke. 

Ideally, you pop smoke near a cap where there are plenty of targets that your teammates are spotting for you to shoot at.  You want to pop smoke when you're spotted, but make sure to slam your speed into full referse and to do a turn to slow you down - hit smoke when your speed is about 2/3 of max, and hope you dont roll out of it :D.  

It can be tough - remember, you primary targets are DDs, and they eat the AP and you do solid damage to them even at crazy oblique angles.  Against cruisers within about 6-7km, you can do solid citadel damage to them if they're broadside, but do you a lot of bouncing if they are bow on... use torps or switch targets.  Battleships - aim for superstructure, or upper half of their hull if they are close and broadside, else shoot the bow and stern plates - usually yields about 5-8k damage unless it is saturated (and use torps :p). 

But, again, your main targets are DDs. 

As mentioned before, be near strategic points - but plan ahead... 40 seconds before your smoke ends, start thinking about exit routes.  Dont be afraid to start turning in your own smoke so that you can run away faster - surviving is more important than doing that last 2k damage in most cases (unless it is against a strategic dd). 

Torps, and same as before - rush near a cap circle, and hold your ground.  Hurt enemy dds, help your own.  Dodge torps.  Shoot at targets of opportunity.  

Most battles have caps that are worth defending or attacking, and destroyers to kill - you always have something to do.  Late battle, in particular, UK CLs come into their own as DD replacements - enemies cant see you, you can give yourself smoke on a cap, and regain it whilst they spend valuable time rushing you - use your sonar to spot them at close range (note that you'll be spotted when you fire main guns, so use your torps first! :p) then make sure you';re running at full speed in a random direction when you fire your guns - some BBs turrets cant track you at 2.1km range at full speed, so abuse that.  

Have fun!

* @Estimated_Prophet does not agree.

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Funny 2

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
59 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

@Estimated_Prophet is perfectly entitled to their opinion... even if it is wrong :Smile_trollface:

I don’t deny that the RN cruisers are ‘good,’ but the inability to get them to perform anywhere that even pretends to be close to their reputation makes their value to me less than that of sand filled gum I might scrape off of my shoe.

Emerald I have faith in; Perth and even Huanghe I believe in...

Leander and up? Junk that might as well be shooting soggy crumpets.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,682 posts
5,152 battles

Utterly love Fiji.

Like all smoke boats, you need to pick your time to drop smoke ... ie have an escape route nearby (island to hide behind or the ability to move behind the smoke cloud and get out of detection radius). Good points above about making sure you are at half speed before you pop it.

Otherwise, Fiji is nimble. She's good at dodging incoming fire - if you're at mid-long ranges.

Against destroyers, she's lethal. Those tightly grouped 12x6in guns can and do shred them.

Against cruisers, she's dangerous. At long ranges she provides a hail of fire. At close range you'll rake up the citadels.

Against battleships ... she's sandpaper. Shoot at bow, stern, superstructure. It's not as pointless as you may think as they can't repair AP damage as they do HE.

People often forget you have torps. And they're 8km range. So don't forget to use them yourself.

Leander has a very similar playstyle, and is equally fun and successful.

But the RN tree up to Leander is ... junk.

[4HIM]
Members
2,218 posts
6,506 battles

Fiji is one of the few ships I do well in.  As others have said, it's good for hunting DD's and other cruisers.  BB's, not so much.  It is nimble and accelerates well just as with Leander.  Support your DD's early, especially if they go for a cap early.  Avoid BB's early in the match.  Stay alive until the late part and then go after the red cruisers.  Fiji does have a good ROF, so once you have someone targeted, keep raining shells on them until they run or sink.  You can go after a BB if you find one engaging someone else.  But if a BB focuses you, either dodge or hope they miss as they'll take HUGE chunks of your health.  And you can use the acceleration/deceleration of the ship to dodge as much a the rudder.  I've caused many a BB salvo fired from range to miss by going from full ahead to full reverse.  

Only thing I don't like about the Fiji is after playing it, if I switch to a cruiser from a different nation, I sometimes forget I can actually switch ammo.