You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Berlimawurst

So the Great Destroyer Purge Has Come to Lower Tiers?

41 comments in this topic

[HE]
Members
176 posts
2,336 battles

It's no news that DD number in tier 8-10 plunged recently,

but I noticed that during this weekend, tier 5-7 has even less DDs. I ran my Indy and Pepsi several times today

2 out of 5 matches has no DD, while the rest of the matches have 1-2 DDs, and they die in the first 5 minutes.

It bizarre given there is no cruiser mission going on, and the # of players who got their 10km radar at tier 7 are still small yet. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

In lower tiers (7 and under) DD numbers have been falling since the Cleveland patch.  High tiers DD play is currently.holding steady but that's about it. This past weeks numbers will be in this weekend.

[OBS]
Members
1,265 posts
9,802 battles

Cruiser tech tree time, now the Mass is out.  Nuevo de Junio rolling in.  Even a slight change produces swings like this.

[FML]
Members
2,481 posts
11,932 battles

Perhaps numbers are low at T7 because people are now getting their free Indianapolis and giving them a run for their daily crates...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
27 minutes ago, Berlimawurst said:

but I noticed that during this weekend, tier 5-7 has even less DDs. I ran my Indy and Pepsi several times today

2 out of 5 matches has no DD, while the rest of the matches have 1-2 DDs, and they die in the first 5 minutes.

It bizarre given there is no cruiser mission going on, and the # of players who got their 10km radar at tier 7 are still small yet. 

A minor point, there isn't a cruiser specific mission but there is one for a cruiser.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

i was consistently getting 4-5 DDs per side in all my matches last night in tiers 5-8.

does that mean there's actually an influx of DDs? is it the end of BB play as we know it?

there are always going to be temporary fluctuations in population numbers. the game is always changing between the ship releases, events, etc. they always balance out just in time for something else to change.

Edited by MidnightShamalan
  • Cool 2

[HEROS]
Members
1,569 posts
13,532 battles

they'll climb back up but the tales of horror in high tier DD play might be spooking a few of em, And as one of those said high tier DD players, I can't even fault 'em for it as they  think to self.. "um yea may be BB or CA.. Have to rethink this whole DD thang!"

But more likely its just the cruiser effect as folks grinding the US cruiser line because of all the noise about how awesome and OP the RADAR cruisers are against DD's in the high tieres  (I suspect the honors may be a bit more even then they appear.. I have been sinking and watching sink a lot of radar cruisers myself).  I do however have to play smarter and a lot more careful up in high tier especially with my typical non-standard builds which new cruiser players have no clue how to fight against.   I'll be happy to tell them my secrets and how to beat them.. but they're still gonna have to fight.  It's my job to make it a crap shoot for 'em at as poor a set of odds as I can arrange!  And I can arrange quite a bit!  They'll still have to work for it.

I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles

Every time a new line and even sometimes a single new ship is released some ships get bum rushed to the curb until the surge is over. Deal with it or play the new thing like everyone else.

[SIDE]
Members
2,099 posts
6 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I've had at least 3 Dds per side in every match I've played today, 3 of them had at least 4, 1 had 5.

Me too. Been that way for over a week now.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles

No such destroyer purge exists. It's swung between 2-5 a side all week for me.

0 posts

DDs gets sketchy Tier 6 and above due to Superman Vision (radar) as tier 6 can get up tier'd with T7 & T8 radar ships.  T5 and below DDs remain in good number, from what I have seen.

3,702 posts
611 battles
1 hour ago, Berlimawurst said:

Did they?

As for lower tiers, nearly every game I've played in Dallas and Helena has had 3-4 DDs per team. 

[BNKR]
Members
1,181 posts
1,105 battles
16 minutes ago, Reymu said:

No such destroyer purge exists. It's swung between 2-5 a side all week for me.

I agree with that. Four or five per side is still really common, and almost always three.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,460 posts
12,810 battles

I've been seeing a lot of DDs and mostly play mid tier.

[HE]
Members
176 posts
2,336 battles
3 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Did they?

As for lower tiers, nearly every game I've played in Dallas and Helena has had 3-4 DDs per team. 

The Tier 10 DD gameplay fell around 1/3 after American arc as supported by server overall data. I did not bother to investigate other tier though.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,276 posts
4,277 battles
4 hours ago, Berlimawurst said:

Might be your time zone or play days...I havent seen a t8-t10 match with less than 3 DDs/side in a month or so. Most DD players are finding out that many probably FXP'ed the new USN CLs and dont know how to play them well. Likie the two Seattle's that decided to take on my FdG in open water at 11km.

At least from Honolulu...the high tier DD population is alive and doing very well.

Members
1,377 posts
8,793 battles

I happened to still have the WoWS client open from my play session earlier today so I went and checked the team screens for all 10 games I played.  There were either 3 or 4 DD's on each team in 8 games and only 2 DD's per team in the other 2.  That seems about normal to me.  All those games were in tier 7 to 10.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,830 posts
4,180 battles
5 hours ago, Canadatron said:

In lower tiers (7 and under) DD numbers have been falling since [0.7.5] ...

Played a match today with 6 DDs and one cruiser (I was the cruiser - and survived!).  Several 4 DD games.  There are lots of DDs in low tiers.

If low tier DDs numbers are falling (which I don't believe), then there were way too many to start with.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles
5 hours ago, Berlimawurst said:

Shoot give me your luck, 3 out of 4 games had at least 4-5 DDs per side for me

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Today i finished my Benson /Fletcher grind, MM smiled at me and most of the battles i was top tier (something like 10-11 battles) and most of the battles had 4-5 DDs. This last couple weeks im seeing a average of 3 DDs per side, which IMO is pretty OK considering:

1 - Release/rework of a radar cruiser line;

2 - The "ideal" number would be 4 (4DDs, 4 CAs/CLs, 4 BBs); 

For the past two years we have some players crying that "DDs are dying" and things like this, and two years later DDs are still here and are still strong and fun to play.

• Cool 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
15 minutes ago, Xlap said:

For the past two years we have some players crying that "DDs are dying" and things like this, and two years later DDs are still here and are still strong and fun to play.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Members
552 posts
699 battles
32 minutes ago, Xlap said:

They're also still dying, apparently.

[MWM]
Supertester
293 posts
4,943 battles

Hmm, so the tier6 and 7 games I have been in where there have been 4 and 5 DD's per side is nothing more than a mirage ? I guess the tier 8 game with 3 DD's per side was a figment of both sides imagination. And I guess I was foolish to buy 3 new DD's at tier 7 and 8.