You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
G_Potter

20 point captain

33 comments in this topic

[SUNKN]
Members
28 posts
12,105 battles

It seems like every time I try to pick skills for a 19 point captain, I end up wishing for one more point.  Does anyone else think WG should let captains advance to 20 pts?

Yes, I know if WG ever did that, I would want 21.

Yes, I know that the current rank of 19 is fleet admiral - not sure there is anything higher than that.  Maybe the 1 pt captain could start lower, like boilerman, cook, boot, scrub, peon etc.

Members
1,378 posts
8,793 battles

The fact that you wish you had 1 more point is actually kind of a good thing.  It means there are meaningful choices involved in captain specs.  If you'd be a lot more comfortable with 20 points that probably just means there would be a more "generic" build that takes every important skill for a given role, which kind of removes the point of specialization.

• Cool 17

[PVE]
Members
14,936 posts
9,477 battles

2 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

The fact that you wish you had 1 more point is actually kind of a good thing.  It means there are meaningful choices involved in captain specs.  If you'd be a lot more comfortable with 20 points that probably just means there would be a more "generic" build that takes every important skill for a given role, which kind of removes the point of specialization.

THIS :Smile_great:

[SUNKN]
Members
28 posts
12,105 battles
7 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Stop using rational arguments and intelligence.  Don't you realize this is the WOW forums?!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 9

[PVE]
Members
14,936 posts
9,477 battles
2 minutes ago, G_Potter said:

Stop using rational arguments and intelligence.  Don't you realize this is the WOW forums?!

:Smile_teethhappy:

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,403 battles

I had promoted this idea a few months back, going to 20 or 25.  Pretty much everyone hated it.

I *do* like the idea of having a Flagship Captain though, one with ONE extra point (so 20)… a player could only have ONE though in total, but could assign to any ship in their port.   

• Cool 2

Members
3,783 posts
17 minutes ago, G_Potter said:

It seems like every time I try to pick skills for a 19 point captain, I end up wishing for one more point.  Does anyone else think WG should let captains advance to 20 pts?

Yes, I know that the current rank of 19 is fleet admiral - not sure there is anything higher than that.  Maybe the 1 pt captain could start lower, like boilerman, cook, boot, scrub, peon etc.

[TBW]
Members
7,448 posts
13,614 battles
33 minutes ago, G_Potter said:

Maybe the 1 pt captain could start lower, like boilerman, cook, boot, scrub, peon etc.

Nope Enlisted is Enlisted and Officers are Officers. The most you can make as an Enlisted man is Warrant Officer.

[VW]
Members
2,446 posts
14,319 battles
30 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Nope Enlisted is Enlisted and Officers are Officers. The most you can make as an Enlisted man is Warrant Officer.

Cause no one ever got promoted from the ranks?

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,448 posts
13,614 battles
8 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Cause no one ever got promoted from the ranks?

From what I understood it was near impossible at least when I was in and in the US military. You would have to do your term and then go to college and be in ROTC, then become an Officer and by then you already wasted 8 years of climbing the ladder so to speak. Maybe during war. There is always acting Ensign Crusher.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[VW]
Members
2,446 posts
14,319 battles
24 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

From what I understood it was near impossible at least when I was in and in the US military. You would have to do your term and then go to college and be in ROTC, then become an Officer and by then you already wasted 8 years of climbing the ladder so to speak. Maybe during war. There is always acting Ensign Crusher.

Yes, those i am familiar with were all wartime battlefield commissions.

Edited by monpetitloup

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, G_Potter said:

Ultimate Supreme Leader?

[SALVO]
Members
20,182 posts
20,016 battles

This idea came up a few months back, and I'll say now what I said then.  I do NOT support a 20 skill point captain.  19 is enough.

HOWEVER, what I do think is worth considering is creating a list of "legendary" skills from which a 19 skill point captain could choose one.  You wouldn't worry about skill points for these legendary skills because they wouldn't be part of the list of normal skills.  I'm not sure how one would gain access to the legendary skills.  Would you have to earn another 500k commander's XP to be able to select a legendary skill?  But wouldn't this block this 19 skip point captain from adding XP to his elite commander's XP pool?  Or perhaps on gaining your 19th skill point, you gain access to the legendary skill list?

Legendary skills might be completely new skills.  Here are some ideas.  These reductions would stack with any other reductions.

Legendary Main Gunnery:  Reduce main battery load time by (pick an appropriate number).  Possibly, reduce main gun dispersion by (pick an appropriate number) as well.  (I could also see having 3 different versions of this skill, with each one aimed, but not strictly limited to, BBs, CA/CLs, and DDs.)

Legendary Torpedomen:  Reduce torpedo tubes load time by (pick an appropriate number).  (Ship launched torps only.  Leave carrier TB reloading to the deck crew legendary skill.)

Legendary Carrier Deck Crews:  Reduce serving time by (pick an appropriate number).

Legendary Damage Control:  Reduce cooldown time on Damage Control parties by (pick an appropriate number). Possibly reduce fire/flood duration by (pick an appropriate number) as well.  

Anyways, that's all I have for now.  

• Cool 2

[EQRN]
Members
922 posts
11,015 battles

I'd like to have them put pinnable medals on commanders.  Combat bonuses, or more than 19 skill pts would probably be too potent, but maybe xp, cmdr xp, credit type bonuses.  Normal commanders could get 1 or 2 medals, special commanders 2 or 3. 

[SUNKN]
Members
28 posts
12,105 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

This idea came up a few months back, and I'll say now what I said then.  I do NOT support a 20 skill point captain.  19 is enough.

HOWEVER, what I do think is worth considering is creating a list of "legendary" skills from which a 19 skill point captain could choose one.  You wouldn't worry about skill points for these legendary skills because they wouldn't be part of the list of normal skills.  I'm not sure how one would gain access to the legendary skills.  Would you have to earn another 500k commander's XP to be able to select a legendary skill?  But wouldn't this block this 19 skip point captain from adding XP to his elite commander's XP pool?  Or perhaps on gaining your 19th skill point, you gain access to the legendary skill list?

Legendary skills might be completely new skills.  Here are some ideas.  These reductions would stack with any other reductions.

Legendary Main Gunnery:  Reduce main battery load time by (pick an appropriate number).  Possibly, reduce main gun dispersion by (pick an appropriate number) as well.  (I could also see having 3 different versions of this skill, with each one aimed, but not strictly limited to, BBs, CA/CLs, and DDs.)

Legendary Torpedomen:  Reduce torpedo tubes load time by (pick an appropriate number).  (Ship launched torps only.  Leave carrier TB reloading to the deck crew legendary skill.)

Legendary Carrier Deck Crews:  Reduce serving time by (pick an appropriate number).

Legendary Damage Control:  Reduce cooldown time on Damage Control parties by (pick an appropriate number). Possibly reduce fire/flood duration by (pick an appropriate number) as well.  

Crucis-

I hadn't seen this idea before.  I like it.  Ignore my idea of going to 20.  Yours is better

Members
2,065 posts
3,885 battles
2 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Numbers are arbitrary, but WG needs to reduce the cost of secondary and AA skills.

They used to be one and two points and fit much better at that cost.  Not sure why they thought secondaries were SO good that they required three and four point investments.  Best I can figure is that you are getting two for one with them,  both AA and secondaries ((And some smaller main guns)) but as it stands now,  the ships that require those skills HAVE to have them so anything less than a fourteen point captain on a secondary based ship is decidedly meh,  with some people suggesting even a need for an eighteen pointer.

Maybe when the CV rework hits they'll readjust the AA and secondary skills to be cheaper again.   That'd be nice.

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,108 posts
8,098 battles
5 hours ago, Vaidency said:

But I want AFT/CE/ManSec/BFT/SI.

Why must you crash my dreams!

• Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles
2 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Numbers are arbitrary, but WG needs to reduce the cost of secondary and AA skills.

Amen. KMS BBs(with secondary builds) and USN BB AA builds are struggling(though the latter much more so) from ever more HE + Fire spam, because most of the time they can't afford Fire Prevention without dropping something even more useful.(such as superintendent, especially for German tech tree BBs Tier VIII+)

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Cool 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,917 battles
26 minutes ago, Palladia said:

They used to be one and two points and fit much better at that cost.  Not sure why they thought secondaries were SO good that they required three and four point investments.  Best I can figure is that you are getting two for one with them,  both AA and secondaries ((And some smaller main guns)) but as it stands now,  the ships that require those skills HAVE to have them so anything less than a fourteen point captain on a secondary based ship is decidedly meh,  with some people suggesting even a need for an eighteen pointer.

Maybe when the CV rework hits they'll readjust the AA and secondary skills to be cheaper again.   That'd be nice.

Once upon a time they said the reason BFT became a 3-pointer was because "it was too much a no-brainer at 1 point, and was too good for level 1 in skills, where we usually put some of the worst/weakest ones to increase the captain grind."

Members
2,065 posts
3,885 battles
9 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Once upon a time they said the reason BFT became a 3-pointer was because "it was too much a no-brainer at 1 point, and was too good for level 1 in skills, where we usually put some of the worst/weakest ones to increase the captain grind."

Yeah,  I remember.  So make them both two points.  Or two and three.  Actually that makes more sense anyway, since manual secondaries is a four point skill and so is manual AA.  So you have the build up to it,  and then you pick AA or manual.