Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WhiteRecon

Yugumo Gun Build Suggestions

13 comments in this topic

Members
918 posts
9,443 battles

So I decided to build my Yugumo into a hybrid gun/torp boat, b/c Shima detection buff took away the ghost uniqueness of Yugumo. 

* have a 19 point Commander 

So far on the ship I run smoke and the ship range mod (GFCSM2).  My captain is Expert Marksman, Basic Fire Training, no AFT - this is on top of all the typical DD skills.

I have 4 points left to use on Commander and really debating:

IFHE?  That brings penetration from 21mm to 28mm armor if I'm understanding correctly.

Adrenaline Rush?  Gets reload to 4.6s at 1/2 HP.

The guns feel good so far, gun range is 14km backed up with 12km torps.  This gives me good influence and ability to disappear when needed.  AFT would stack and make my gun bloom detection pretty harsh.

Suggestions?

[CK5]
Members
989 posts
8,671 battles

Get IFHE, as I play more DDs, it is starting to dawn on me how important that skill is for DD captains.  

[HYDRO]
Members
2,837 posts
4,590 battles
19 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Get IFHE, as I play more DDs, it is starting to dawn on me how important that skill is for DD captains.  

I will have to disagree on this one, provided you can reliably hit superstructures there is no need for IFHE (with the exception of Akizuki of course). It has it's uses vs Cruisers but vs Battleships there is almost no real change, let alone nerfing your fire chance a bit.

OP, I would go for Adrenaline Rush, since you want to play as a hybrid, AR will benefit both torps and main battery.

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,034 posts
8,371 battles

IJN DD's benefit more from AFT than they do from IFHE, with the current exception of Akizuki. Her guns are smaller, fire faster, and have a much lower fire chance. IJN DD's typically have less main gun range than most DD's they face, and they're pretty accurate. Increasing the range using AFT, and MBM2 with EM to speed up turret traverse, turns them into viable gunboats. One can also use BFT, however I feel that SE, TAE, and SI are far more needed.

Members
918 posts
9,443 battles
40 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

IJN DD's benefit more from AFT than they do from IFHE, with the current exception of Akizuki. Her guns are smaller, fire faster, and have a much lower fire chance. IJN DD's typically have less main gun range than most DD's they face, and they're pretty accurate. Increasing the range using AFT, and MBM2 with EM to speed up turret traverse, turns them into viable gunboats. One can also use BFT, however I feel that SE, TAE, and SI are far more needed.

Good point, I like the idea of AFT to give those great shells a lot more reach - that would put her over 16km range.

Members
2,055 posts
509 battles

IMO

EM and PM are three points wasted on a DD...

#1 the turrets turn more that fast enough to never present an issue and PT is the best tier 1 skill for a DD... knowing you are targeted makes it easier to stop shooting and go invis  and WASD to not get hit and save the modules yourself and use those three points for a better skill...
That's my take.. I have only PT on all my DDs and cruisers and PM actually on one or two tier ten cruisers... Hindy for one to save the torp mods....

IFHE is only really good on the Akizuki as stated a few times...
My Yug build is a very stealthy torp main boat build and use the capt in the SHino (I won) back and forth....
I toy around with torp reload booster sometimes and never once fire the guns, like in the Kag... and have really good results often... but it is boring drivin around doing nothing but torping... 
BUT the spotting flags are in the dozen range or so when I do... so it does help the team...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Alpha Tester
3,675 posts
4,400 battles
20 minutes ago, WhiteRecon said:

Good point, I like the idea of AFT to give those great shells a lot more reach - that would put her over 16km range.

I would advise against AFT+Range mod. IJN guns don't have the sort of performance to effectively utilize that much range. Even using one is a bit of an edge-case. The IJN gun is only very slightly better of than the USN 5"/38.

Members
918 posts
9,443 battles
29 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

I would advise against AFT+Range mod. IJN guns don't have the sort of performance to effectively utilize that much range. Even using one is a bit of an edge-case. The IJN gun is only very slightly better of than the USN 5"/38.

Flat arcs compared to my USN DDs, so I want some range to use guns. 

Where should my last 4 points go then?

Members
918 posts
9,443 battles
43 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

IMO

EM and PM are three points wasted on a DD...

#1 the turrets turn more that fast enough to never present an issue and PT is the best tier 1 skill for a DD... knowing you are targeted makes it easier to stop shooting and go invis  and WASD to not get hit and save the modules yourself and use those three points for a better skill...
That's my take.. I have only PT on all my DDs and cruisers and PM actually on one or two tier ten cruisers... Hindy for one to save the torp mods....

IFHE is only really good on the Akizuki as stated a few times...
My Yug build is a very stealthy torp main boat build and use the capt in the SHino (I won) back and forth....
I toy around with torp reload booster sometimes and never once fire the guns, like in the Kag... and have really good results often... but it is boring drivin around doing nothing but torping... 
BUT the spotting flags are in the dozen range or so when I do... so it does help the team...

Mr. White - you use your Yugumo different than I.  I hate slow turret DDs and I've always used my IJN DD guns more than some.  I have torp build on Shima and even gun it up quite a bit.

A question- if you aren't shooting ever, what do you use PT for?  Just for a decision to smoke?  All my cruisers get PT plus my Khaba for the same reasons you point out - not my IJN DDs though. 

Members
2,055 posts
509 battles
50 minutes ago, WhiteRecon said:

Mr. White - you use your Yugumo different than I.  I hate slow turret DDs and I've always used my IJN DD guns more than some.  I have torp build on Shima and even gun it up quite a bit.

A question- if you aren't shooting ever, what do you use PT for?  Just for a decision to smoke?  All my cruisers get PT plus my Khaba for the same reasons you point out - not my IJN DDs though. 

maybe not so much NEVER, but not hardly ever...I will set fires to get that NOOB to hit DC and then flood the crap put of him.... or maybe get the attention of a ship or two, WASD for 20 seconds and make him think about changing direction and then his guns are not on my team mate.... who can take over....
And they are , like I said, not close to slow enough to warrant EM to make them faster... I mean unless you are targeting a KHAB,,,, but then again why on earth would you knife fight a Khab in ANY dd???

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
918 posts
9,443 battles
7 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

maybe not so much NEVER, but not hardly ever...I will set fires to get that NOOB to hit DC and then flood the crap put of him.... or maybe get the attention of a ship or two, WASD for 20 seconds and make him think about changing direction and then his guns are not on my team mate.... who can take over....
And they are , like I said, not close to slow enough to warrant EM to make them faster... I mean unless you are targeting a KHAB,,,, but then again why on earth would you knife fight a Khab in ANY dd???

Haha, awesome and understood. 

Khaba is a wierd beast, I have one.  They do scare me but I shoot them when the table is set - I had a heck of a 1v1 against a Khaba while in my Shima (no EM) where we were all alone, probably a 5 min fight but I won.  To your point though Yugumo is too slow and would have lost.

Members
918 posts
9,443 battles

Really liking where I've landed so far, still need to apply my last 4 points.

Ship: 12 km torps & smoke, Engine Boost mod 1, propulsion mod 2, main battery mod 3 (-12% reload)

Captain: PM, EM & LS, SE & BFT, CE

Going last 4 points: JoaT & AR

So reload is 4.5s with traverse is 19.2s for 180d.  I could see Torp Accel over JoaT... but I like 12km to reach out and touch flotillas. 

*edit; went with 20% more smoke radius instead of JoaT.

Edited by WhiteRecon

Sign in to follow this