You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Is the Helena worth the Dallas grind?

30 comments in this topic

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,479 battles

Grinding the Dallas and not enjoying it at all.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,996 posts

It's a half-baked cross of a Cleveland with the armor of an Omaha.

It's definitely a challenge.  Of course, the Cleveland now feels like the Dallas in those upper 'delete-me-now' tiers.

My Yamato has wiped out a Cleveland using only secondarys.

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,567 battles

I only played it in the Public test in the Scenario/Operation Narai, she was a beast, unfortunately the team wasn't. Very tight grouping on those 15 shells. I suppose I will work on getting to her today, only 23,000 XP to go to get the Dallas researched. Although she is light cruiser Squishy I think she will do well in the tier 7 Operations.

shot-18_07.06_17_29.09-0258.thumb.jpg.ad5153581a122bf27623f770344be4dc.jpg

shot-18_07.06_17_29.12-0040.thumb.jpg.50ebddc7986551a37d1fa382ad97f45d.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HINON]
Supertester
20,518 posts
13,920 battles

What don't you like about Dallas? Because if your answer contains any of the following points:

• Soft
  • Floaty shells
  • Short range
  • Not fast enough

Then the entire USN CL line from Dallas on up is not for you. Period.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,210 posts
14,118 battles

I am enjoying Dallas. Her capable CL.

Helena is one of the Sweet Spot cruisers.

She is supposed to be extremely good for her tier.

[RST]
Beta Testers
54 posts
4,593 battles

I like my Dallas - good ROF with HE, turns well and can handle most CA's and DD's of its tier.  Just need to know how to position yourself on the battlefield so you don't find yourself facing Tier 8 BB's and higher tier CA's head-on. I saved a game for my team on only my second time out with her by deleting 3 ships within a  couple minutes because they were basically 1 shots. Of course, it's fully upgraded with my highest point cruiser captain.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,479 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

What don't you like about Dallas? Because if your answer contains any of the following points:

• Soft
  • Floaty shells
  • Short range
  • Not fast enough

Then the entire USN CL line from Dallas on up is not for you. Period.

The only US cruisers I don't have are the Seattle and the Worcester (I served on 2 Cleveland Class Cruisers). I did something that i normally don't do. I free XP'ed through the Dallas and got the Helena. Loving her, she's really fun to play.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,518 posts
13,920 battles
Just now, gillhunter said:

got the Helena. Loving her, she's really fun to play.

Good for you then. Nice one.

That's why I asked why you didn't enjoy Dallas. It shares some aspects with the rest of the line, and if those aspects were why you didn't like it, it wouldn't bode well for the rest of the line.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,479 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

Good for you then. Nice one.

That's why I asked why you didn't enjoy Dallas. It shares some aspects with the rest of the line, and if those aspects were why you didn't like it, it wouldn't bode well for the rest of the line.

The Dallas just seemed super squishy. Guess I was used to the T6 Cleveland. In my opinion the Dallas is not balanced very well for the tier. I don't think she's as good as good as the Cleveland was.

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

Dallas is ok but nothing special. Helena to me is a keeper.

FWIW I went all the way to T10 and kept them all from St. Louis up in the CL line. Of all of them I find Dallas and maybe Seatle kinda meh. Not bad per se. The rest are very good.

USN CA line is another story for another thread.

Edited by alexf24

[HINON]
Supertester
20,518 posts
13,920 battles
1 minute ago, gillhunter said:

I don't think she's as good as good as the Cleveland was.

This is very true, but that's more a case of Cleveland having been too good for tier 6, than Dallas not up to the task.

• Cool 1

Members
5,357 posts
6,097 battles
11 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

The Dallas just seemed super squishy. Guess I was used to the T6 Cleveland. In my opinion the Dallas is not balanced very well for the tier. I don't think she's as good as good as the Cleveland was.

Dallas is actually a very strong CL at T6. Fairly good HE(amazing with IFHE), good AP, good maneuverability. She's a bit soft under focus, but can actually open water kite pretty well. Dallas doesn't uptier well though.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,479 battles
3 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Dallas is actually a very strong CL at T6. Fairly good HE(amazing with IFHE), good AP, good maneuverability. She's a bit soft under focus, but can actually open water kite pretty well. Dallas doesn't uptier well though.

We could debate this all day of course. The Dallas, even though it was paper, was the only logical choice for T6 given the CLs that the US actually built. In my humble opinion the best T6 CL now that the Cleveland is gone is the Budyonny, another paper ship. Considering they are both paper War Gaming could have tweaked them any way they wanted to. Unless the ship is a T1, T4 or T10 it has to be able to up tier well or most players, including me, are going to have a difficult time.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,165 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

She is very fragile, I got taken out by the secondaries of a bot cruiser, a Martel if I remember right. I am starting to warm a bit to Dallas, I don't hate her like I did now that I have the B hull but she just seems anemic. I like hunting DDs with her though. 

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I tried out Dallas for 5 battles in Random yesterday and did pretty good with her. I like the bote. 

As for Helena... HELL YEAH! She rivals Belfast as my favorite tier 7 Cruiser.

[JSG]
[JSG]
Members
10 posts
6,644 battles

I think the Dallas and Helena are both good Ships at their own Tier and and can hold theier own if uptiered  a  single Tier in MM.

However two things bother me  a bit :

1 Russian DD with AFT Captains using thier max range ( especially if you face one thats 2 Tiers above you)... they are so damn hard to hit because of their speed and your own shells floattime , i would claim that if you put equally skilled players into a Minsk/Leningrad and into the Helena the russian DD will win more often than loose.

2 These Cruisers need lots of room to play safe, if you find your movement restricted because a flank fell you doomed,  about the same if you need to cap and run into a CA at close range... had a NO delete my  allmost undamaged Dallas with one  salvo trough its Bow

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,153 posts
14,258 battles
17 hours ago, gillhunter said:

Dallas isn't even as good as Omaha never mind the old T6 Cleveland

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,165 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Dallas isn't even as good as Omaha never mind the old T6 Cleveland

I think the big problem is that Dallas only excels at taking out DDs and protecting other ships from air attacks. She is most definitely a support ship. I am going to keep her because she is pretty fun to play and her captain will do well on my Atlanta. IMHO she is also one of the "cutest" boats in the game although I am unsure why I feel that way. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I got Helena yesterday and enjoyed the 2 or 3 battles I played in her. Part of that could be my distaste of the paper ships (especially those that are completely fictional like Dallas), but it’s hard to not like 15 fast-firing guns regardless. Done well in her so far. Disclaimer: the few games I played with her no one bothered to shoot at me; surprising since something as obnoxious as 15 rounds every 7.5s usually draws attention to yourself.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles

If you don't have IFHE you won't like Helena anymore than you like Dallas.

Dallas with IFHE is funbote. Helena with IFHE is funbote. Either without IFHE would be trashbote. The consistent damage just wouldn't be there. And for a glass cannon that already relies on damage over time, not actually doing damage while spending time is not good. 

[BOTO]
Members
355 posts
9,349 battles
On 7/7/2018 at 1:10 PM, gillhunter said:

Grinding the Dallas and not enjoying it at all.

Yes, the Helena is more than worth it.