You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

What ships would you play more if MM was +/- 1 instead?

53 comments in this topic

[NGAGE]
Members
3,108 posts
8,094 battles

@Lert's thread about T8 matchmaking makes me wonder. What ships would people play more of if matchmaking was +/-1 instead of what it currently is for all T5+ ships (+/-2)?

I can think of a few boats I'd play a lot more often.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,567 posts
13,975 battles

Literally none. I don't mind MM as it is now. Is it perfect? No. But I don't agree that it needs to be +/- 1.

• Cool 11

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

I agree, none. Really it makes no difference to me other than I would earn less XP. You just have to learn to change your playstyle when you’re bottom tier. If it was changed to +/-1 I wonder how long it would be before people would complain it should be same tier only. 

Do you remember the old days? There was no such thing as +/-2

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,108 posts
8,094 battles

Boats that I for sure would play more would be Atago and IFHE Mogami. Probably the Eugen.

These aren't even boats I do badly in (70% in Atago and 63% Mogami) I just don't enjoy them as much when you end up vs TXs.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles

The same ones I play now, as I don't find +2/-2 MM in PvP to be a problem.

• Cool 2

[NGAGE]
Members
3,108 posts
8,094 battles
1 minute ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I agree, none. Really it makes no difference to me other than I would earn less XP. You just have to learn to change your playstyle when you’re bottom tier. If it was changed to +/-1 I wonder how long it would be before people would complain it should be same tier only. 

To be clear: I am fine being uptiered. My tier VIII and IX winrates are better than my TX winrate.

I just don't enjoy it as much in some boats. 

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

St. Louis

:Smile_teethhappy:

The St Louis already has +1/-1 MM. The Saint-Louis on the other hand does not. :)

[WOLF2]
Members
1,262 posts
8,578 battles

I don't have any current ships mothballed because of the +/-2.      Suffices to say, if it went +/-1, I'd still play the same ships.

Like Lert, I don't mind the current MM.    If I'm low tiered (or sometimes the only lowest tiered ship in a match), I add an extra helping of caution, work on the higher tiered ships for extra XP, try not to be the lone guy focused on, and don't bring a knife to a gun fight (no mano y mano with a Des Moines).

Of course, I never hear from those players when they're top tier, salivating at all the juicy citadels presented before them...

[HINON]
Supertester
20,567 posts
13,975 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

St. Louis

... already gets +/- 1.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

The St Louis already has +1/-1 MM. The Saint-Louis on the other hand does not. :)

I know. I meant the tier 3 American cruiser St. Louis. :Smile_teethhappy: I figured why not pick a ship not impacted by the change?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

I know. I meant the tier 3 American cruiser St. Louis. :Smile_teethhappy: I figured why not pick a ship not impacted by the change?

That's what I figured, which is why I put in the :Smile_teethhappy: emoji. :)

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

... already gets +/- 1.

Yep. But they didn't say I had to pick a ship impacted by the change.

• Funny 1

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
2 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

To be clear: I am fine being uptiered. My tier VIII and IX winrates are better than my TX winrate.

I just don't enjoy it as much in some boats. 

Agreed. The only tier I really have a problem with is tied 6 and 7 being matched up with tier 8. To me the tier 8-9-10 aren’t that bad. All you’re missing is a reload or range upgrade and general progression. Tier 6-7-8 are bad because tier 8 gains the concealment upgrade. To me that makes ships, especially DD’s somewhat unfair. When a tier 8 DD with better overall stats also is able to have much better concealment. 

But in the end, I see it as a general game and remember the old days plus back in WOT before mm changes and I’m fine. 

[HINON]
Supertester
20,567 posts
13,975 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Yep. But they didn't say I had to pick a ship impacted by the change.

Implied though, how would MM that doesn't impact St Louis changing affect how much you'd play St Louis?

I get that you were being funny and I did chuckle, just curious.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Implied though, how would MM that doesn't impact St Louis changing affect how much you'd play St Louis?

I get that you were being funny and I did chuckle, just curious.

Well, I might be more inclined to play at a tier where ships already balanced around +/-1 MM.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,403 battles

none. it doesn't matter at all

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,487 posts
9,607 battles
46 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

@Lert's thread about T8 matchmaking makes me wonder. What ships would people play more of if matchmaking was +/-1 instead of what it currently is for all T5+ ships (+/-2)?

I can think of a few boats I'd play a lot more often.

None of them:

for me variety is an incentive in it self.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,460 posts
12,810 battles

Prinz Eugen, Krasny Krym, Konigsberg, Kutuzov, Kidd...there's a long list.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
871 posts
6,766 battles

Texas. I'm not a MM diva but that's the one ship I feel suffers particularly hard...power creep hasn't helped either...those poor NY class ships :O

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
45 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Yeah the whole "it used to suck more and now it only sucks less" argument is hardly a brilliant debate strategy. It always reminds me of a abused wife telling her friends that "He only beats me on weekends". 

I never play anything based on MM. I choose what I am going to use based on what missions &/or campaign requirements I need to complete those and play those in PvP as required. If I am just playing for my own amusement, I play low tier co-op and have a blast. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,116 posts
14,427 battles

The Murmansk.

It's bad enough it has had to suffer from the power creep that drives the newer ships she has to go against. Going up against ships two tiers higher on top of that is pretty much the nail in the coffin that keeps her in port.

• Cool 1